Rashad should cut down to middleweight.

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by GroundNPouter, Jan 1, 2013.

1. GroundNPouter

GroundNPouter You Mad?

He has been amazing to do what he has at LHW but I think he would go from just a top 5 LHW to easily the most feared person down there outside of spider. He was a MW fighting HWs on TUF and spent most of his career as a MW fighting LHWs. He had his shot at Jon Jones and I don't think anything changes in a rematch. There are so many more opportunities for him at MW. And it's not like I think his career needs a boost or anything the way boestch and bisping did when they dropped. Just that I feel he would find even more success at that weight class than even he has now.

He can always move back up if he doesn't like it.

Quote from rashad on the subject

Last edited: Jan 1, 2013
  2. Emjay

Emjay And again and again and again and ag.. zzzzzzzz

He might not like the process of moving down

3. RogerD

RogerD Purple Belt

Rashad seems very well suited for LHW.. I dont think he should change divisions just cause he cant be champ.

4. Lead

Lead /Led/ Staff Member Senior Moderator

I think he is fine at LHW. You could argue a lot of fighters should switch weight cause of Jones but eventually Jones will move up. I think Evans has a great chance at getting the belt when Jones moves

5. TheGauntlet7**

TheGauntlet7** Banned Banned

I agree, I always thought he was too small for a LHW. He would give Anderson a hard time if he adopted the Sonnen gameplan. He has to restrain himself from showboating though or he'll get knocked out.

6. RogerD

RogerD Purple Belt

I would actually enjoy Rashad as a marquee fighter like Rich Franklin. Heck lets do a couple fights at Franklinweight.

7. Blackbelch**

Blackbelch** Blue Belt

WHERE YOU AT MIKE DOLCE!??

[​IMG]

8. Omni**

Omni** Brown Belt

I think he should do it for one fight and thats Silva. After that , go back up

9. Lead

Lead /Led/ Staff Member Senior Moderator

Evans is still #2 at LHW in my book. He only can't get through Jones. I'm not sure what would happen at MW but I don't see him beating Silva so why risk a #2 spot in your division for a #2 spot in another one?

10. Blackbelch**

Blackbelch** Blue Belt

Well if you look at Frankie Edgar. I seriously think he's at the #2 spot at LW if not #1 which I thought he won both fights twice. I mean people forget he dropped Benson and almost choked him out against the fence.

For people to do what Frankie Edgar has done would be crazy. It would be like Thiago Alves or Dan Hardy fighting at 205, or Jose Aldo fighting at 170lbs. It's crazy if you think about it.

Rashad should do whatever he and his camp feels right. Whatever his body at his age feels like what it can do.

11. GroundNPouter

GroundNPouter You Mad?

He shouldn't waste his prime. Took forever to get the fight with jones. He would instantly be a contender if he drops down. Even if he goes on a streak people wouldn't be clamoring for a rematch after seeing the first one. He lost convincingly.

No need to hang around being a Jon Fitch if you have a more appropriate weight class.

It's not like an anthony johnson situation. It's more like a BJ trying to fight at WW situation except more successful.

12. lefthighkick01

lefthighkick01 Brown Belt

Exactly..He has a better chance of dethroning Jones then Silva. I think thats why none of the small LHWs have dropped to MW recently .

13. GroundNPouter

GroundNPouter You Mad?

This is completely false. Not only did we already see he had nothing for Jones. People tend to forget Rashad's best quality. It's his wrestling pedigree. Which almost every can agree is Anderson's one ***** in his armor...

outside of *****s.

14. mistermarcotte

mistermarcotte Orange Belt

Rashad would be a monster at 185 imo. I think it's the perfect weight for him. especially when you compare him to the big lhw..... The old time of open weight is gone.

15. natedg72

natedg72 Green Belt

Actually I think he would have a better chance at dethroning Silva than Jones. Jones hasn't even reached his ceiling yet, has trained with Rashad, and is just a monster for the division. Not to mention he is young and hasn't reached what most athletes consider their "prime" yet.

Anderson is getting old, he has to lose sometime. Rashad's wrestling would be a great asset a long with his size if he can keep most of it.

16. 5H3RD0G

5H3RD0G Silver Belt

I would like to see him fight Spider but only if he has the Cain gameplan. :icon_lol:

17. lefthighkick01

lefthighkick01 Brown Belt

I disagree, if Rashad had a better chance of dethroning Silva he would have made the drop already .
    Do you think Rashad hasnt thought abou this at all?

18. Trollinator

Trollinator Green Belt

I'd like to see him at MW - There are no guarantee's he goes any better though.If it's too far away from your natural weight you'll always be at a disadvantage.

19. Kabzie

Kabzie Brown Belt

One of my favourite fighters. He should move down just to take on the Spider, and if he loses move back up.

20. Ediaz

Ediaz White Belt

Even though Rashad may seem like a small LHW, he has shown that he is more than capable of competing against the best at LHW. One also has to consider the fact that Jon Jones intends to go up to Heavyweight later this year or maybe next year, so this will definetly leave a big void in the Light Heavyweight division that Rashad Evans is more than capable of fulfilling.