Rashad: jon jones is so good because...

Jon is good for a variety of reasons including his unreal athleticism, giant reach, tremendous work ethic, killed greco background and adeptness at Winkeljohn style striking. Fearlessness helps, but plenty of dudes are fearless, Bonnar's pretty damn fearless and he's not the champ.

Being fearless helps, but I think Rashad is in a way dismissing Jones' talents, fight IQ, intelligence (has a book of fighting moves).

Chris Leben and Wanderlei are fearless, but they were never as good as Jones.

It's surely easier to be fearless when you have a 4 inches height and a 8-10 inches range advantages over most of your opponents

Being a genetic freak sure helps with that.
Let's see if he is still fearless when he faces the likes of Overeem, and other scary dudes at HW in a year

I still doubt he'd be scared. If he has a proper Gameplan I'm he would go into the fight as composed as he always is not saying he would necessarily dominate though. the real question is if he did fight the likes of overreem and won, would you harbor the same hate?

Being fearless is a huge part of it. All the physical skill in the world does not mean a thing if you are afraid to apply it. Jones has the entire package.

It's surely easier to be fearless when you have a 4 inches height and a 8-10 inches range advantages over most of your opponents

Being a genetic freak sure helps with that.
Let's see if he is still fearless when he faces the likes of Overeem, and other scary dudes at HW in a year

What will your excuse be when he destroys them?

Being fearless is what kept Guillard from being champion

Yeah but Melvin's fight IQ isn't as high as JBJ. It's one thing to see an opening and go for it, it's another to not think of the consequences. Hence rope a dope choke out...

Anyways, Jon Jones is fearless, and that is easy to see.

He was hardly fearless in the Rampage fight, sometimes literally turning his back and running away. So much for standing and exchanging like an "unmoving rock" or whatever he was babbling about before the fight. But whatever. That's my main gripe with the phenom that is Jon Jones. If he wasn't constantly contradicting himself, I'd probably manage to root for him.

Besides, Substance Abuse nailed it with the first reply. Jones is what he is because he's been properly trained to use his advantages to the best of his ability. He makes the least amount of mistakes compared to his opponents (outside of Hammil, heh), and that's nothing to discredit. I still think he'll have his work cut out for him when he decides to put meat on those legs and fight at HW though. There will be a lot more guys closer to his dimensions after recovering from that weigh-in he consistently makes.

Being fearless helps, but I think Rashad is in a way dismissing Jones' talents, fight IQ, intelligence (has a book of fighting moves).

Chris Leben and Wanderlei are fearless, but they were never as good as Jones.

This. Rashad must of forgot about the list of quotes and fight moves Jones hid from him all the time.

It's a confluence of skill, size, coaching and understanding of range and ability. Jones is a smart fighter and he's surrounded by the right people who help him utilize those skills to the best of his ability.

all this is correct but so is the no fear thing. a deadly combination

What will your excuse be when he destroys them?

Like he destroyed Bonnar and Evans?

Jones doesn't destroy people. He leverages his strength, frame, and weight around perfectly in unison with his insane reach to keep his opponents at bay. When he does hit you he either cuts you or dazes you long enough to submit you with aforementioned attributes. But he wins fights. That's all he and Team Jackson care about, so who's counting.

A great fighter and great athlete in one.

Being fearless is what kept Guillard from being champion

Actually, I think Guillard does worse when he is hesitant. The fights were he goes out and pressures his opponent, he has more success.

Like he destroyed Bonnar and Evans?

Jones doesn't destroy people. He leverages his strength, frame, and weight around perfectly in unison with his insane reach to keep his opponents at bay. When he does hit you he either cuts you or dazes you long enough to submit you with aforementioned attributes. But he wins fights. That's all he and Team Jackson care about, so who's counting.

LOL @ having to reach back to a guy that Jones fought when he was 21 years old, had been fight professionally for less than 9 months and before he was with a real camp for a second example of somebody that Jones didn't wreck.

Is hard to write totally disingenuous bullshit like this with a straight face?

He is confident that is for sure but far from fearless

10.gif

Not saying that isn't Jones fighting "smart" of course it is, but if he had no fear he would stand and bang there.

Back