Reaction score
Hey guys,

I decided to write about how I came to turn this back of the envelope sketch:
sketch.jpg

into this:
Raptor+gi+SEY_6499+copy.jpg

on my blog here:
www.meerkatsu.com: Gi Review: Raptor - Part II

Hope you enjoy seeing the behind the scenes report, I certainly enjoyed working on it.

There is a brief period discount code going on:

Raptor 10% discount - first 50 customers only or until midnight GMT Friday whichever comes first.
Type "MEERKATSURAP" at order stage.

So YOU designed it! Hahaha. You know, while I don't have the pearl weave to compare against, I really wouldn't mind the gold weave on this for once. It's superbly soft and comfy, although it shrunk a fair bit.

I guarantee the production ones wont shrink! I do know the factory used various materials for the samples, but I promise they will all be pre-shrunk on production models!

The Pearl Weave is even softer and lovelier than the Gold....

I guarantee the production ones wont shrink! I do know the factory used various materials for the samples, but I promise they will all be pre-shrunk on production models!

The Pearl Weave is even softer and lovelier than the Gold....
I'll do everything I can not to shrink mine because mine fits perfect. Hand wash/air dry if need be. Luckily I'm a air drying kind of guy and rarely wash my equip.. :icon_lol:

That looks amazing. Hope it sells like hotcakes.

Thats nice you can order the pants and jacket sizes separately. I think Im going to get one. Can you recommend a size combo for me? Im 6'3" and 190lbs. Im thinking A3 top and A4 pants for length.

Thanks

What are these going to run US? I think the fact they won't shrink combined with the styling might make me have to get one.

I just read your review on the gi. Interesting that you had them specifically make the arm length only in an A1 longer since that fits you better.

DO you have longer arms than most who wear an A1 or does the regular Black Eagle have a problem with short sleeves? If you just have long arms and custom tailored the A1 to your specs you would have definitely lost a sale here.

Also, in the option box while purchasing it lets you choose to not have the back embroidery. Is this correct?? That embroidery is where most teams put there patch for competitions

Last edited:

I notice there is a significant difference between the A1 and A2 pant lengths according to your sizing chart. Do the pants also not shrink?

I just read your review on the gi. Interesting that you had them specifically make the arm length only in an A1 longer since that fits you better.

DO you have longer arms than most who wear an A1 or does the regular Black Eagle have a problem with short sleeves? If you just have long arms and custom tailored the A1 to your specs you would have definitely lost a sale here.

Also, in the option box while purchasing it lets you choose to not have the back embroidery. Is this correct?? That embroidery is where most teams put there patch for competitions

I had a problem with the arm lengths on the Predator (from which the black coloured Raptor was modeled on) especially when I measured the Predator arm lengths against all 15-20 other A1 gis I have reviewed so I requested the sleeves be extended by half an inch - just enough for me to be happy, but not so long that you would really notice it much. The other sizes remain as per Predator gi. I cannot say if those are long or short.

Yes, the back embroidery is an option when purchasing you either want it, or you don;t...as I already decribed in my report.

I had a problem with the arm lengths on the Predator (from which the black coloured Raptor was modeled on) especially when I measured the Predator arm lengths against all 15-20 other A1 gis I have reviewed so I requested the sleeves be extended by half an inch - just enough for me to be happy, but not so long that you would really notice it much. The other sizes remain as per Predator gi. I cannot say if those are long or short.

Yes, the back embroidery is an option when purchasing you either want it, or you don;t...as I already decribed in my report.

this here was a big concern for me. i have the predator and it fits great. when i heard that the arm length was extended i didn't even bother to consider the raptor. however, if it's only a half inch then i think it would still fit great. hmmm...time to reconsider...

To dvs: Yes, A3 jacket and A4 pants sounds spot on for you!

To Agentfish: Depends on the exchange rate, but, including shipping, around $170

To anonomouse: We've introduced 'two' A1 sizes effectively (Ao and A1).....Effectively, A0 is the 'normal' A1 and A1 is for those taller skinny guys...size charts should help.

To cowcrappler: Neither the jacket not the pants will shrink!

this here was a big concern for me. i have the predator and it fits great. when i heard that the arm length was extended i didn't even bother to consider the raptor. however, if it's only a half inch then i think it would still fit great. hmmm...time to reconsider...

If you were a perfect A1 in the Predator, than you can order the A0.....if the extra half inch or so is OK you can still order the A1.

The only reason we did this was because there seems to be a lot of people who are A2 height, but skinny, so A1 fits them better. Usually they would buy an A2 and shrink it, so we decided to introduce the A0 and A1 to compensate given our Gi doesn't shrink.

That is also why we are letting customers choose Jacket and Trouser sizes separately, so if you are tall and skinny, you can get the combination that fits you properly!

I appreciate it is a bit confusing, but hopefully people will get the hang of it!

@SteveT
What sz should I purchase? 5'8" 195lbs. I usually roll in an A2 in a SYR/Koral type cut. Much appreciated!

On that information, an A2 would be fine..

There is also a detailed measurement size chart to help you on the ordering page.

Well, bit of good news! The IBJJF have informed me that Black will now not be banned,

So, all 3 colour options of the Raptor will be legal under the new (and seemingly changing) IBJJF rules on Gi colour.

Well, bit of good news! The IBJJF have informed me that Black will now not be banned,

So, all 3 colour options of the Raptor will be legal under the new (and seemingly changing) IBJJF rules on Gi colour.

That is good news. Figured it was silly to ban black gis when the rationale is merely to distinguish between competitors.

Ok, so there is an a0 and an a1. I am 5'6 and 140lbs. I like a tailored fit.

A koral a1 light fits me like a glove. Some a1's have too long of sleeves. Would I be an a0 in both jacket and pants?

Saw that the shipping to the US is a really good price. Can you tell me how much is taken off off 99 price once the vat is removed for international orders?

Last edited:
You basically pay 20% less if you are in the USA!

If you are a 'normal' A1 then the A0 is designed for you.

Back