Rapid Fat Loss Question

SocraticMethod

Kingmaker
@Steel
Reaction score
Who here has experience with the Rapid Fat Loss Diet? I am getting married in 6 weeks, and would like to drop as much weight as possible before then. Yes, I realize I should have cleaned up my eating habits months ago and gone about this is a long-term dietary and lifestyle change, but I didn't. What I am looking for is twofold: (1) to drop weight honestly to look good in the wedding pictures that I'll be looking at for the rest of my life (or she leaves me for a thinner, cooler guy); and (2) to kick start a long term change in my eating habits by getting off to an encouraging start.

My question is this: I've read RFL and I know that it has its own training section. I train primarily for strength and power at a private gym. I do not want to alter my training, just my diet. What I'm wondering, primarily, is whether I should up my calories and or fat on days when I'm doing heavy squats/deadlifts. My training is set up as 3 lifting days, full body workouts, with a short but intense conditioning finisher. They basically go: warm-up, plyometric movement, heavy compound lift, accessory lifts, finisher. Monday is bench, Wednesday is heavy squats and rack pulls, Friday is press.

Particularly on Wednesday, I'm thinking 900 calories of lean chicken might not be enough to get me through the workout. Have any of you done this diet while lifting heavy (i.e., a 5X5 type workout). If so, did you modify it at all on heavy squat or deadlift days, or did you just stick to it by the book. If you stuck to it by the book, were you able to complete these heavy days satisfactorily? If you modified it, did you just add more calories on those days but stick to the diet guidelines of low fat no carbs other than green veggies? Did you add more fat as well on those days? Some carbs?

Also, RFL says to avoid additionally cardio, particularly HIIT while on the diet. Did you stick to that rule as well?

I've read the RFL forum, but worry that, since they are posting on the RFL forum, they might have bought into hype, so I'm looking for non-bias, real life experiences.

Finally, I'm curious if people have successfully used this diet to jump-start a long term dietary change, or of they just used it for a crash diet and put the weight back on.

Thank you:

TL/DR version: Who has done the RFL diet and did you modify it at all on intense heavy squat/dl days?

Adopt a maintenance mentality with the strength training while doing RFL.

Keep your routine but drop the volume by 1/2-2/3rds. Keep intensity the same.

Probably X the HIIT stuff.

30g carbs for preWO is already an option in the book. I'd do that and not worry about the rest. I see no point in upping fat in specific regards to RFL and your training.

Never done it but I'm sure looking sexy is more important than physical performance so with regard to not doing additional cardio, I say just go ahead.

Cardio is not recommended due to lack of recovery ability when following an extreme low cal diet and the effect that it has on water retention and hormonal issues. It has nothing to do with performance, per se.

Very low intensity shit is fine (walking). More traditional low intensity exercises may be acceptable but the volume should be pretty damn low.

Listen to Monger on this one. In regards to
Who has done the RFL diet and did you modify it at all on intense heavy squat/dl days?
I have and I'd say try to schedule your heavy squat and/or dl days on refeeds or cheat meals or vice-versa. How long are you planning on using RFL before moving on to a less severe diet?

Listen to Monger on this one. In regards to I have and I'd say try to schedule your heavy squat and/or dl days on refeeds or cheat meals or vice-versa. How long are you planning on using RFL before moving on to a less severe diet?

This and what Monger said. If you are doing 5 sets of 5, cut it down to 2 sets of 5, but keep the same weight on the bar.

I'm doing it right now (down 8.4lbs in 9 days) and all of my free meals and refeeds have been on training days. I get a little light headed after deadlifting, but it goes away quick.

Question, maybe you stated this and if so I apologize. What category of RFL are you?

Adopt a maintenance mentality with the strength training while doing RFL.

Keep your routine but drop the volume by 1/2-2/3rds. Keep intensity the same.

Probably X the HIIT stuff.

30g carbs for preWO is already an option in the book. I'd do that and not worry about the rest. I see no point in upping fat in specific regards to RFL and your training.

Cardio is not recommended due to lack of recovery ability when following an extreme low cal diet and the effect that it has on water retention and hormonal issues. It has nothing to do with performance, per se.

Very low intensity shit is fine (walking). More traditional low intensity exercises may be acceptable but the volume should be pretty damn low.

Listen to Monger on this one. In regards to I have and I'd say try to schedule your heavy squat and/or dl days on refeeds or cheat meals or vice-versa. How long are you planning on using RFL before moving on to a less severe diet?

This and what Monger said. If you are doing 5 sets of 5, cut it down to 2 sets of 5, but keep the same weight on the bar.

I'm doing it right now (down 8.4lbs in 9 days) and all of my free meals and refeeds have been on training days. I get a little light headed after deadlifting, but it goes away quick.

Thanks for this info, guys. It makes sense. I note that I'm not actually doing the 5X5, I was just using that as an example for the intensity of my training sessions. I get what you're all saying and will be able to transfer that advice to my actual sessions.

Knocking out the HIIT also makes sense. Thanks

Never done it but I'm sure looking sexy is more important than physical performance so with regard to not doing additional cardio, I say just go ahead.

Looking sexy is the most important thing there is. After being popular. Popular: 1. Sexy: 2. Physical performance: way down on the list.

Smoke meth. I knew a chick who lost at least 80 pounds in 2 months on the jib diet.

I will take this under advisement.

How long are you planning on using RFL before moving on to a less severe diet?

Missed this my first time through. I have 6 weeks till the wedding. I want to do RFL for at least 2 weeks and most likely 4. I will potentially do it for a 5th week. The week of the wedding we'll have family coming in and family dinners, etc I believe as Category 3 it said I could go 6-12 weeks before I needed a break, but I may be remembering wrong. I completely missed the part about 30 grams of carbs pre-workout, so it's also possible I'm just lacking in reading comprehension.

Yeah, I'd say you should be able to handle 4-6 weeks without losing much (if any) strength if you do it smart. Listen to Monger on the volume...I wasn't very smart about it and only lasted 3 weeks before my strength started to suffer. Since I was getting ready to compete I decided to abandon the diet instead of losing the strength. It's really not a difficult diet to stick with if you don't have a strength comp on the horizon.

Yeah, I'd say you should be able to handle 4-6 weeks without losing much (if any) strength if you do it smart. Listen to Monger on the volume...I wasn't very smart about it and only lasted 3 weeks before my strength started to suffer. Since I was getting ready to compete I decided to abandon the diet instead of losing the strength. It's really not a difficult diet to stick with if you don't have a strength comp on the horizon.

Word. Thanks again. No strength comps on the horizon, just a bachelor party to get in the way.

Back