Ranking the UFC WW Champs By Entertainment Value of their Fights

For title defenses I would watch Hughes fights. Although GSP was as boring as watching paint dry and couldn't finish fights, he was the best WW and prevented a lot of great exciting WWs from winning the belt. If I were you I'd watch Lawler old fights (some MW), Condit, Diaz, Palhares (some MW), Brown, Kampmann, Silva and Lombard

Thanks for the suggestions! I've watched all the Hughes title fights, but wouldn't mind re-visiting them. Especially his fights with Penn. Hughes was a much more entertaining champ/fighter than GSP, but agree with your assessment of him. In a way it's a shame GSP kept some possible entertaining champs from happening, but his talent is undeniable.

Lawler
GSP

the rest

Thanks for the suggestions! I've watched all the Hughes title fights, but wouldn't mind re-visiting them. Especially his fights with Penn. Hughes was a much more entertaining champ/fighter than GSP, but agree with your assessment of him. In a way it's a shame GSP kept some possible entertaining champs from happening, but his talent is undeniable.

No problem! His trilogy with pre-boring GSP was pretty good. I bet we would have seen the WW belt passed around several times without GSP's reign

its about ENTERTAINMENT value, not dominance or what so ever

oh gee thanks buddy, i must have missed the thread title and the entire OP, let me make a new list now

1. gsp
2. ?
3. ?
4. ?
5. ?

Lawler
Penn
Hughes
Newton
GSP
Serra
Miletich
Hendricks
Condit

GSP is a great fighter and athlete...But his style stopped being what it once was though.

His last 9 fights went a total of 44 effin rounds...Yes he won them all, but damn man...I mean Koscheck went full 5 rounds with him, and he fought 4 of those rounds with one eye. I lost money on that fight, I did take Kos for the win.

Not taking anything away from GSP, he won his fights. But he just started fighting way too safe for me. He turned into a point fighter that didnt want to lose. Smart for him, boring for me..

Atleast Hughes was a finisher. Hopefully Lawler can keep the belt for a long time, and get many finishes, or atleast exciting fights...

If you're ranking based on entertainment, then gsp has no business in this thread.

PPV has zero bearing on excitement... look at GSP's numbers FFS. PPV just means more casuals know the fighter. More time to jump on the champ's bandwagon means more fans. Which means GSP, then Hughes.

There's no universal standard for entertainment; its subjective, not objective.

Is jazz entertaining? Some folks say yes, others no. How about Beethoven? The Rolling Stones? Beyonce?

Does everyone agree on what movies are entertaining? On what books are entertaining? Even on what sports are entertaining? If not, then why in the world would you expect everyone to agree on what fighters are entertaining?

MMA fans are odd that way. Most people realize that different people find different things entertaining, that one person will like a movie like "Titanic" and hate "The Dark Knight", while another person will say "Titanic" is boring and love "The Dark Knight." But MMA fans seem to think everyone should agree on what fighters are entertaining and which ones are boring, as if it was something other than a subjective judgement.

The best you can do is count numbers of people who are willing to pay to watch something - it doesn't make that thing objectively interesting or boring, but it gives you an overall guideline. So "Titanic", which I found boring but which the wife loved, made a huge amount of money, so I guess I have to concede that not everyone found it boring. In fact, a lot of people found it quite entertaining. So what does it mean if I say "Titanic" was boring; it says more about me than the movie itself.

Same with GSP's fights - some folks liked them, others didn't, but overall more people liked them enough to pay to see them than most other fighters. There's no objective standard, its completely subjective.

This is standard in everything else; only special snowflakes think that everyone has to like the music, or food, or movie, or fighter they like.

Back