Ranking the UFC WW Champs By Entertainment Value of their Fights

ufcfan1986

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Because I know I'm not the only one bored to tears by most GSP fights.

I'm hoping Robbie keeps it for a while. Loved his fight with Rory. My favorite fight of the year so far.

You couldn't even muster the effort to mask this hate thread with your own list?

fo/ky imo

Poorly disguised GSP hate thread. GSP is the WW GOAT by far, you're looking for minor things to discredit him.

Gotta give it to Lawler. He has been unreal lately.

Was dissapointed in Hendricks after he became champ, he sort of toned it down and fought more safe. He fought not to lose, instead of going for the win.

I always cheer for GSP, but he was kinda boring his last few fights.

Gotta give it to Lawler. He has been unreal lately.

Was dissapointed in Hendricks after he became champ, he sort of toned it down and fought more safe. He fought not to lose, instead of going for the win.

I always cheer for GSP, but he was kinda boring his last few fights.

GSP at his most methodical and most risk averse was a more interesting champ than Hendricks imo. Latter day GSP didn't give us any flashy finishes, but he had achieved a level of excellence and mastery that was fascinating to watch. It was frustrating as a Condit fan watch GSP almost lose his head to a kick and then so quickly regain control of the fight. But it was awesome too.

I've ripped on GSP for being too safe as much as anyone on this forum. I firmly believe his entire approach to fighting was based on point-fighting for decisions. But I never missed one of his fights. They were masterpieces.

GSP at his most methodical and most risk averse was a more interesting champ than Hendricks imo. Latter day GSP didn't give us any flashy finishes, but he had achieved a level of excellence and mastery that was fascinating to watch. It was frustrating as a Condit fan watch GSP almost lose his head to a kick and then so quickly regain control of the fight. But it was awesome too.

I've ripped on GSP for being too safe as much as anyone on this forum. I firmly believe his entire approach to fighting was based on point-fighting for decisions. But I never missed one of his fights. They were masterpieces.

I don't blame the fighter for being too safe. They have too much to lose and much more to gain by getting the win. It may be boring for us, but they gain way more financially with the win. Anyways these guys gotta come get the belt, if they get jabbed to death that is there problem. Gotta beat the man to be the man.

BJ Penn and Lawler, the others don't even come close

Lawler>Condit>Penn>Rory>GSP>Serra>Hendricks>Hughes

I know Rory didn't win the belt but he's at that level and I want to count him.

Lawler always goes forward and is a vicious striker so it's self-explanatory.

Condit is the same, and a more diverse striker, but he's easier to take down which can lead to boring fights, and he fought very defensively against Diaz.

BJ Penn has mostly exciting fights.

Rory MacDonald has had some great fights, but the jabfests put him behind the top 3.

GSP fought very cautiously in a lot of his fights, leading to many decisions. However, as a striker he's fun to watch, and he's also entertaining to watch just because he's talented.

Matt Serra is this low jus because he doesn't stand out. He's not a wrestler so he doesn't look to win by control, and he had power.

Johny Hendricks' most redeeming quality is his power, but his grinding style puts him low on the list. He looked to win by control at points in all three of his last fights.

Matt Hughes had some great fights, but stylistically he's the most boring. He's a wrestler who didn't have a huge amount of power.

None of these fighters are boring though. They all have something that makes them fun to watch.

Lawler>Condit>Penn>Rory>GSP>Serra>Hendricks>Hughes

I know Rory didn't win the belt but he's at that level and I want to count him.

Lawler always goes forward and is a vicious striker so it's self-explanatory.

Condit is the same, and a more diverse striker, but he's easier to take down which can lead to boring fights, and he fought very defensively against Diaz.

BJ Penn has mostly exciting fights.

Rory MacDonald has had some great fights, but the jabfests put him behind the top 3.

GSP fought very cautiously in a lot of his fights, leading to many decisions. However, as a striker he's fun to watch, and he's also entertaining to watch just because he's talented.

Matt Serra is this low jus because he doesn't stand out. He's not a wrestler so he doesn't look to win by control, and he had power.

Johny Hendricks' most redeeming quality is his power, but his grinding style puts him low on the list. He looked to win by control at points in all three of his last fights.

Matt Hughes had some great fights, but stylistically he's the most boring. He's a wrestler who didn't have a huge amount of power.

None of these fighters are boring though. They all have something that makes them fun to watch.

Hughes was much more exciting than Serra, Hendricks, and GSP. If you watched him during his day you would know

Hughes was much more exciting than Serra, Hendricks, and GSP. If you watched him during his day you would know

I've seen all his UFC fights. And he obviously had some great fights (the Trigg fights are the most obvious). But he also had some boring fights. Stylistically he's the least exciting on that list, despite having had some exciting fights. I'm not even calling him boring; I'm just saying he's the least exciting of those fighters. Serra isn't a wrestler and has power, Hendricks is a wrestler like Hughes but has power, and GSP's diverse striking and athleticism makes him more exciting than Hughes.

You can spot those who didnt watch during Hughes reign pretty easily.

He actually has one of the highest finish rates for a defending champ that you will find, especially for below MW

Just because he was a wrestler don't just guess that he was boring. He has a lot more finishes than Robbie and BJ combined in WW title fights

Most unbiased way of doing it is via their PPV numbers. People will say anything, but what they put their money down to watch is honest.

Which means GSP, then Hughes.

Fanboys who hero worship GSP have no say in what constitutes exciting.

Sorry if this came off as a GSP hate thread to some. I just wanted to state my opinion upfront. GSP is obviously technically the greatest WW UFC champ right now. I didn't put my own list in because I was more interested in hearing from you fine folks. Plus, my memory of some reigns is hazy/non-existent. So I didn't want to waste time making a list that I couldn't get behind.

More so than anything I'm hoping to get some fight recommendations from this thread. I love the WW division and think it's had some brilliant fights. And yes, I'm very glad GSP is out of the picture. Sorry if it comes off as hate and nothing more, but that's not my intention. He's an amazing fighter. Just dull as dirt to watch, for me anyway.

Most unbiased way of doing it is via their PPV numbers. People will say anything, but what they put their money down to watch is honest.

Which means GSP, then Hughes.

PPV has zero bearing on excitement... look at GSP's numbers FFS. PPV just means more casuals know the fighter. More time to jump on the champ's bandwagon means more fans. Which means GSP, then Hughes.

Sorry if this came off as a GSP hate thread to some. I just wanted to state my opinion upfront. GSP is obviously technically the greatest WW UFC champ right now. I didn't put my own list in because I was more interested in hearing from you fine folks. Plus, my memory of some reigns is hazy/non-existent. So I didn't want to waste time making a list that I couldn't get behind.

More so than anything I'm hoping to get some fight recommendations from this thread. I love the WW division and think it's had some brilliant fights. And yes, I'm very glad GSP is out of the picture. Sorry if it comes off as hate and nothing more, but that's not my intention. He's an amazing fighter. Just dull as dirt to watch, for me anyway.

For title defenses I would watch Hughes fights. Although GSP was as boring as watching paint dry and couldn't finish fights, he was the best WW and prevented a lot of great exciting WWs from winning the belt. If I were you I'd watch Lawler old fights (some MW), Condit, Diaz, Palhares (some MW), Brown, Kampmann, Silva and Lombard

Back