1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Ranking the MW contenders. Is Bisping the only one with no identifiable chance?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Saskatoonmike**, Dec 29, 2012.

1. adamsilva Brown Belt

great chin and standup matched with his new found wrestling ability makes it a great fight. Also he has the best cardio in the division.

2. mccallievols Gold Belt

is his wrestling offensive though?

he's always had excellent defense, but i don't see him power doubling or tossing anderson on his head

3. Saskatoonmike** Brown Belt

Boy do I ever look forward to the day when MMA fans grow up and understand fight sports.

Puinchers Chance has evolved a real definition in fight sports.

When you hear a pundit talking about a guy only having a punchers chance he is referring to him being a huge under dog skill wise but having big power to end any fight with one punch. that is literally what the term has come to mean.

what you are describing, whether it is Mac Danzig fighting JDS or anderson and getting that crazy finish is 'anything can happen in a fight'. it means in the theoretically world of possibilities, yes danzig could potentially KO JDS if all things went right that night. it is not impossible.

but no one, NO ONE, prior to the fight would say Danzig had a punchers chance prior to the fight if they knew what the terms meant. they could rightly say 'anything can happen.'

4. Saskatoonmike** Brown Belt

to accept your view we have to dismiss Silva's defensive abilities which may in fact be his greatest skill.

I don't think Bispings skill and ability to find Silvas chin in any meaningful way and on top of that to then have the power to make it worth anything are better then just a random power puncher connecting with full power.

but I do think your posts need quoting and their own thread to see how many agree with you.

5. Saskatoonmike** Brown Belt

his chin is good, not great.

his defensive wrestling (tdd and ability to get up) has always been good. Arguably one of his best skills. but they are simply meaningless against Anderson who won't be looking to take him down..

And I would suggest anderson matches him cardio for cardio. Chael put it on both of them with anderson forced to carry Chael weight for almost all of 5 rounds and Anderson came out ready to fight in the 5th. I give Bisping no edge in cardio.

And if you think it would be a great fight (not like others who just seem to want a highlight KO) then I question your fight analytical skills.

if anderson wants it done in the first 2 minutes he walks thru Bispings punches and KO's him. if he wants to play he drags it out and unintentionally makes a farce of the fight by choosing to let Bisping go longer then he otherwise would.

6. Cutty Purple Belt

Bisbing is an excellent kick boxer, technical, you see him pressure his opponents with his very diverse arsenal. He does it, mostly, without putting himself at risk, which is possible due to his insane cardio- he can always push the pace- and the ability to move within striking distance then, immediately, move out the moment afterward. He has excellent TDD, too. There are simply not many bad match-ups for him; he is well-rounded enough to fight any kind of opponent/style without being at a massive disadvantage, stylistically. In essence, he can beat any MW on a good day- except Silva.

He not only proved he could have competitive fights with excellent wrestlers like Rashad Evans and Chael Sonnen (two fights he arguably won), but also, successfully, being able to neutralize notorious power punchers like Brian Stann and Jorge Rivera.

People who match-up worse against Silva than Bisbing:

1.Brian Stann (an aggressive power puncher like stann is lunch for a guy like silva, he will get leben'd )
    2.Mark Munoz (For some reason his MMA wrestling is not very good, and he has a questionable chin )
    3.Okami
    4.Tim Boetsch

Anyway, title shots should be given to people who earned them.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
  7. effedup Silver Belt

My god you are horrible... You always post like you know fucking everything and barely ever take in to the whole of what people say, and twist words so "You" think your next comment looks good.

With all the people people you listed as puncher's chance do you see any one of them being able to "Trap" Anderson so that they can use their power? None of them that you listed have the footwork to get on the inside of Anderson Silva, outside of maybe Vitor and we have already been down that road.

Your thread which of the fighters below have the skill set to take out the spider 4/8 with a puncher's chance lol get real. You can't even count Sonnen because he won't be fighting Silva again.

Puncher's chance... Not even a fucking skill set.

Keep being bad though.

8. Saskatoonmike** Brown Belt

and you have the comprehension skills of a 12 year old.

I will try to say this as slow as possible in the hopes you comprehend.

When.discussing.punchers.chance.the.odds.of.the.punch.landing.are.meaningless.

WHEN DISCUSSING PUNCHERS CHANCE THE ODDS OF THE PUNCH LANDING ARE MEANINGLESS.

it has nothing to do if Ali or Anderson are so skilled that someone like Manhoef might never touch their chins. we agree it is remote and super low odds.

the 'punchers chance' refers solely to them HAVING ENOUGH POWER that in the miraculous situation where they did land, they could win. James Toney had a punchers chance V Randy and any HW despite the fact him landing versus any quality HW being near nil. the odds of landing have nothing to do with him having a punchers chance which just says IF he manages to land, he could get the KO and win.

now please continue in your ignorance to argue about how unlikely they would be to land as if that has anything to do with punchers chance.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
  9. Loiosh Detective Platinum Member

Land a shot on Anderson and pour it on? Seriously?

Take a look back at all of Bisping's fights. Try and think of a single shot he landed on any fighter ever.

Now imagine him landing that shot on Silva.

Are you with me so far?

Now try and imagine him "pouring it on" after that shot, and try and imagine a scenario that doesn't end with Bisping unconscious.

Anderson doesn't just have the best striking in MMA, he has one of the very best chins, and one of the highest fight IQ's we have ever seen. He's nothing short of supernatural.

On Bisping's very best day he might grind out a decision if Anderson comes in with the flu. That's his best and only chance, period. The chances against him actually finishing Silva are a million to one, and if he tries, even if Anderson has the flu, he's going to end up asleep.

Bisping has had the opportunity to prove he was worthy of a title shot, and has come up short every single time. A year ago, he came close to losing to the worst Jason Miller we have ever seen. What's Bisping's best win? Leben?

No Silva fan should have any interest in this fight, it's a waste of time for the best fighter on the planet. We deserve a better match for him.

10. TheComebackKid Banned Banned

Bisping has very little chance to beat Silva. The problem you guys seem to think Tim Boetsch and Chris Weidman somehow have a chance to beat Silva lol.

11. Felsh 57-0

I want to see the Bisping fight because I feel it's almost a guaranteed matrix KO.

Who wouldn't want to see that?

12. Saskatoonmike** Brown Belt

Nope.

i just pointed out that the fight most Anderson fans are clamouring for (Bisping) has the least identifiable paths to victory of all current MW contenders. it is a complete waste of a fight and near a complete gimme fight for Anderson.

his fans supporting this fight should be ashamed that this is what they want of him in his remaining fights in MMA when the biggest thing that will allow Bones or others to over come anderson's amazing legacy is wins over more highly rated opponents.

if there is one area of relative weakness in Anderson's resume it is that he has not had the consistent high level of comp and not fought as much elite opponents as other elites. Fighting Bisping will not help that, even though you will be the first to argue Bisping as a great once Anderson starches him.

13. Damage Control Green Belt

Of all the top 10 Middleweights Bisping has the least chance to dethrone Silva.

14. Bolshevik*** Banned Banned

weidman has a better shot than most of them, but if you're going to argue for puncher's chance, boetsch has a better puncher's chance than bisping.

15. TheComebackKid Banned Banned

Abd your reasoning is silly

This area of weakness you speak of is a myth. Hes right on par with Fedor and GSP.

16. method115 Titanium Belt

Nope we've seen what Anderson would do a million times. He would get Bispings timing down and start coming after him with hands down trapping him against the cage. Plus a quick jab is a chance to counter Bisping.

17. Saskatoonmike** Brown Belt

edit double

18. TheComebackKid Banned Banned

None of them have anything but a 'Anderson all the sudden got old on us' chance.

With a win over Belfort Bisping is clearly the #1 contender.

19. Saskatoonmike** Brown Belt

ya only if we accept your argument from your other thread where you argued Forrest beat a prime Shogun and yet Shogun beat a lesser and distracted Forrest.

amiright?

20. dclikewah Purple Belt

I definitely do hate Anderson, and I really want to see this fight, for said reason.