Ranking the MW contenders. Is Bisping the only one with no identifiable chance?

Saskatoonmike**

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Lets put aside the 'anything can happen category' as that applies to all fighters equally and so is of no greater value to any.

Lets also admit Anderson is the GOAT MW and so any chance we talk about is remote. this is not about who can beat Anderson. it is about who has the skill set to give them even the remote chance.

Now that leaves the question...of the remote chances to win is Bisping the only ranked MW with no real chance to win? Is he potentially the easiest fight for Anderson with the least risk?

2. Chael Sonnen - has wrestling and top game to potentially grind out decision win with td's and top control

3. Chris Weidman - if he can get his td's poses genuine threat of subs or decision win

4. Michael Bisping - does not have td's nor striking to tko or decision beat Anderson

5. Tim Boetsch - punchers chance. Has enough power.

6. Mark Munoz - punchers chance. GnP chance if he can put Anderson on his back.

7. Vitor Belfort - punchers chance

8. Yushin Okami - similar to Bisping. No real area he can foreseeable win in but arguably better tds and ability to keep Anderson on ground for decision win.

9. Luke Rockhold - has wrestling chops to MAYBE try and execute Sonnan game plan.

10. Brian Stann - punchers chance

-------

Lets be real. Anderson is not losing at MW other then by upset. By my analysis Bisping and maybe Okami have the least tools to threaten Anderson and potentially get that upset and yet Anderson is lobbying hard for a fight with Bisping.

What say you?

A punchers chance vs Andy is not worth mentioning.

Bisping has a chance. He can run away for 24:59 and then land a jab at the horn to win on points.

A punchers chance vs Andy is not worth mentioning.

if my game is primarily striking and I don't even have the punchers chance V Andy then I am worse off then someone with at least the punchers chance.

In the world of remote chance outstriking Anderson, the best and most precise counter puncher arguably in mma history, to a decision victory is about as close to zero as it comes.

we all know truly lucky punches (way over used term) can and do happen in fight sports so having the power for a punchers chance is something.

-------

Lets be real. Anderson is not losing at MW other then by upset. By my analysis Bisping and maybe Okami have the least tools to threaten Anderson and potentially get that upset and yet Anderson is lobbying hard for a fight with Bisping.

What say you?

That would be the most obvious statement ever....he's the #1 guy on the planet, of course anybody he faces will be the underdog.

You don't give Bisping enough credit, there are far more factors to look at in a fight. MMA isn't about what tools you have, but about how you use them. Bisping has super human cardio, he's a vet of the sport, he won't cave to the big moment, he's got the confidence.

I don't see where Bisping can threaten Silva anywhere, definitely not an interesting fight(unless you want to see Bisping ko'd again).

Everyone has the "puncher's chance" regardless of great power or not. You just have to hit right on the button. The chances of someone doing that on Anderson regardless of power is like....yeah, not worth mentioning.

a punchers chance is about the same as anything can happen. so your thread doesnt make sense since most a bunch of the guys you only give a punchers chance. how does bispig not have a punchers chance? hell, I have a punchers chance

Its extremely unlikely, obviously, but if Bisping circles the whole fight and remains completely defensive with the occasional quick jab then he could win 3,4,5 if Silva gasses or gets frustrated etc. Silva loves to counter punch and you can't counter if your opponent doesn't throw anything.

I'm not saying that there's much chance of that but Silva could be in his 40's by the time they fight and he's going to go downhill eventually.

Unless Silva's chin gets left in the gym, then there is no puncher's chance. Normally I wouldnt say this but it's Silva. His chin is diamond and worse, he knows how to roll with punches better than anyone in MMA

I would love to see Manhoef punch Silva with one of his best. Just to see if anything happens to Silva.

I used to think Bisping would have no chance but he seems pretty good at adapting his game to frustrate his opponents. He's not the best at anything but he fights smart and has great cardio.

Sure, he would probably get killed like everyone else but I'd like to see him get a shot at the belt before he retires. He's been a good company man and I think Dana will give him a shot if he can beat Vitor.

That would be the most obvious statement ever....he's the #1 guy on the planet, of course anybody he faces will be the underdog.
yup. But if I did not state it, many would reply with it.

You don't give Bisping enough credit,
I give him credit but also recognize styles make fights and Bisping stylistically seems to have least tools at MW to beat Anderson in an upset.

there are far more factors to look at in a fight.
Well please present the ones that could allow Bisping to upset Anderson?

MMA isn't about what tools you have, but about how you use them.
Agreed. Which tools does Bisping have that could see him get an upset? how can he use them? Be very specific.

Bisping has super human cardio,
yes, so does Anderson. Sonnen put Anderson's cardio to the super test the first fight making Anderson carry his weight for almost 5 full rounds and Anderson was still a killer. So Bispings cardio won't tire Anderson out nor be the factor that causes the upset.

he's a vet of the sport,
Being a 'vet' has zero impact on losing or winning. Vets both win and lose.

he won't cave to the big moment,
He doesn't have to cave. He will be beat by a far superior fighter.

he's got the confidence.
So does Anderson.

I see not one thing in this post that suggests any path for Bisping to win. not one. What is Bispings upset path?

What's funny is all the KO artists are listed as "puncher's chance" when in reality it's the grapplers who actually have a better puncher's chance since Silva will be focused on the TD. (i.e Sonnen dropping Silva)

Bisping is disciplined enough to have a shot at a decision if he can avoid getting KO'd. He's also arrogant enough to not be intimidated, which is what happens to a lot of AS opponents: they doubt themselves so much that they don't do anything.

It's still a very slim chance, but it's much better than most of that list. If he was a better wrestler, he'd have a decent shot.

a punchers chance is about the same as anything can happen. so your thread doesnt make sense since most a bunch of the guys you only give a punchers chance. how does bispig not have a punchers chance? hell, I have a punchers chance

Everyone has the "puncher's chance" regardless of great power or not. You just have to hit right on the button. The chances of someone doing that on Anderson regardless of power is like....yeah, not worth mentioning.

with all due respect you guys do not understand the term 'punchers chance'.

A punchers chance it referred to when a guy has tremendous power but is otherwise a huge underdog.

What you are referring to is 'anything can happen in a fight' when you talk about a guy with no power getting the miracle KO.

So no, not everyone has a punchers chance as the term is used. houston Alexander has a punchers chance V Jon Jones but Sonnen does not, but in the realm of 'anything can happen in a fight' Sonnen could still KO Jones if the stars align.

Unless Silva's chin gets left in the gym, then there is no puncher's chance. Normally I wouldnt say this but it's Silva. His chin is diamond and worse, he knows how to roll with punches better than anyone in MMA

I would love to see Manhoef punch Silva with one of his best. Just to see if anything happens to Silva.

lol you are one crazy nuthugger. Anderson is the best at rolling with punches and that is why we do not know if his chin is diamond or even granite as no one (to anderson's credit) has landed that type of punch on him.

and Manhoef would Ko almost anyone, including all HW's if he is given free reign to tee off on them.

Bisping is disciplined enough to have a shot at a decision if he can avoid getting KO'd. He's also arrogant enough to not be intimidated, which is what happens to a lot of AS opponents: they doubt themselves so much that they don't do anything.

It's still a very slim chance, but it's much better than most of that list. If he was a better wrestler, he'd have a decent shot.

Is Anderson not also disciplined? I don't get your point.

you seem to be saying that Bisping can outland Anderson on the feet. That he can land more and better punches on the way to a decision win then Anderson, when Anderson is the best counter striker arguably in the history of MMA.

what do you see happening to anderson's counter striking skills? How is Bisping landing and scoring his points without getting countered?

Bisping and Rockhold have no chance against him.

Funny enough though....those will probably be the two fights we get.

I see not one thing in this post that suggests any path for Bisping to win. not one. What is Bispings upset path?

By your logic, upsets never happen. Guess what, sometimes the better puncher gets KO'ed, or the better grappler gets caught.

Back