Ranking the light saber duelists

I like this list but I would put Anakin over Vader. Your list looks solid but 4,5,6 gets messy. Obviously Dooku over Obi and Anakin over Dooku BUT later on Anakin and Obi are very evenly matched. Just like MMA math doesn’t always work, Lightsaber math is rough here. From the content we have I wouldn’t rate Luke so high either. We haven’t seen a lot from him. Vader WRECKED him the first time. The second time Vader wasn’t going for the kill obviously so it is hard to rate Luke’s performance.

and where do you have Ashoka on that list?? Coming with the new Clone Wars season it looks like we see how she stacks up against Maul. And she did run that sick gauntlet in Rebels and survived.

You missed this post of mine above:
https://forums.sherdog.com/posts/158257963/

Dooku was super old, he was impressive for that age. The debate is was he that powerful without the dark side so I got still use the older version to be sure he is Sith.
Luke played around Kylo and Rey with ease he had skills clearly.
Anakin / Obi is debatable but I feel Obi is better overall defense, balanced style, experienced, wiser at his peak I feel he has better overall stats then young raging Anakin based on offense and emotions.

Who's the best light saber duelist based only on Canon?

Tell me where I'm wrong

1. Palpatine - beat maul and Yoda. Some will say he lost to windu but that had to be part of his plan, because he couldn't have turned Anakin otherwise. So losing on purpose doesn't count.

2. Mace Windu - was said by many to be thet most powerful duelist. He killed hundreds of droids and one of those huge sand pounder tanks by himself. Killed jango Fett with ease. Murked general Greivous and gave him the cough. Ranked below palpatine because palps was so in control of that situation that he could time it perfectly with Anakin's arrival, as if mace windu was a plaything.

3. Yoda - beat dooku but allowed him to escape. Only had one loss on record, to palpatine. Some characters say Windu and Yoda were the two best, but other characters just mention Windu as being the number 1 jedi in saber combat.

4. Luke - Only lost to vader, but he later avenged that loss when he was better trained.

5. Anakin - A case could be made for him being the best, but his one downfall is his emotion and confusion. All the Masters say they sense much confusion in him and confusion makes you weaker on both the light and dark sides. Kills dooku, beats Ventress, wrecks hundreds of others, but loses to both Luke and Obi-Wan due to internal turmoil.

6. Dooku - I forget who said it, but I could swear I heard his skill rivalled Yoda's when he was a Jedi. He basically destroys everyone he ever fights including obi-wan with ease, with the only exception being Yoda and a prime Anakin.

7. Obi-Wan - Some think he should be higher because he beat prime Anakin. But if you take that win away his record is less impressive. Anakin was clearly more powerful, but because of his internal turmoil and the fact that obi wan could predict his moves, Anakin lost. Obi-Wan was still very powerful and defeated maul twice, grievous, ventress many times and a number of other characters during the clone wars.

8. Darth Maul - beat qui gon, savage, and Kanan, lost to obi wan and palps.

9. General Greivous - killed many can Jedi. Could be argued that he belongs above maul. They both lost to obi wan but I ranked Greivous lower because he ran away after obi-Wan cut off his arms pretty quickly, whereas maul damn near killed Obi-Wan in their first fight.

10. Ahsoka Tano
11. Savage Opress

12. Qui-Gon Jinn - love the character but we only saw him fight twice and he barely escaped maul with his life and got killed the second time.

13. Asaj Ventress
14. Kanan
15. Ezra Bridger
16. Sha-gi
17. Ben solo

Wait.... Palpatine didn't beat Yoda in saber combat and kinda won via fluke if anything. Also, it should be noted that Yoda was like 900 freakin years old and still kicked some ass. Even Lucas said Windu beat Palp legit. Considering he wrote the damn stories up to that point, I'll run with his word and not super fans who think they know better, lol. Palpatine seemed to be a master manipulator if anything and was excellent at gaining the upper hand due to his intellect. Dooku was actually written to have let Anakin get the upper hand on purpose as per Palpatine request. Dooku was powerful as f, just not as sly as palps.

Anakin was a super emo crybaby. If he learned to keep his emotions in check, he very well could have been more powerful than Yoda and palps combined. Too bad he was a whining bitch.

Obi Wan was written like shit, and was more skilled then he appeared to be.

Last edited:
Wait.... Palpatine didn't beat Yoda in saber combat and kinda won via fluke if anything. Even Lucas said Windu beat Palp legit. Considering he wrote the damn stories up to that point, I'll run with his word.
Phew, if true. I’ve never really liked Palpatine as a character and Windu was awesome. To think he was setting Windu up didn’t sit well with me.

He’s 2-0 against Maul.

Part of why I hate the prequels is how inconsistent they were at portraying Kenobi.
1. He beats Maul (twice)
2. He gets dunked on my Dooku (twice)
3. Has to use a blaster to beat Grievous
4. Beats Anakin, who beat Dooku easily.
TBF Dooku beat them with the force more than anything in that duel. Then as soon as Obi is out cold he just forgets he was dunking on both of them with the force.

Wait.... Palpatine didn't beat Yoda in saber combat and kinda won via fluke if anything. Also, it should be noted that Yoda was like 900 freakin years old and still kicked some ass. Even Lucas said Windu beat Palp legit. Considering he wrote the damn stories up to that point, I'll run with his word and not super fans who think they know better, lol. Palpatine seemed to be a master manipulator if anything and was excellent at gaining the upper hand due to his intellect. Dooku was actually written to have let Anakin get the upper hand on purpose as per Palpatine request. Dooku was powerful as f, just not as sly as palps.
Yeah Palps letting Windu win is just a fan theory not supported by anything onscreen.

Galen Marek

Jaden Koor

Obi wan

Yoda

Windu

Anakin

Dooku

Asoka

Kyle Katarn

Jaden

Palps(his pure saber skills without using the force aren’t that good)

This is good! I like it.

Would like to know how Dooku discovered the curved lightsaber hilt design. I know it's to throw traditional users off when they see the strike coming. And Ventress learned it from Dooku. Interesting Saber design nonetheless.
I think Darth Bane's swordsmanship instructor gave him his master's curved hilt lightsaber as Bane's first lightsaber.

Star Wars Rebels. its a cartoon, but after The Clone Wars cartoon its the best Star Wars stuff outside of Ep IV and V.
Palp beat Maul in Clone Wars, not Rebels, which I recently watched in entirety on Disney+. I think it was more force lightning and telekinesis than lightsaber fighting.

Palp beat Maul in Clone Wars, not Rebels, which I recently watched in entirety on Disney+. I think it was more force lightning and telekinesis than lightsaber fighting.
And should Palps beating Maul be a big feat? I mean maul lost to kenobi much less the emp.

And should Palps beating Maul be a big feat? I mean maul lost to kenobi much less the emp.
After seeing Maul kill Qui Gon so easily, I feel like Maul should be upper tier. I don't want to believe Qui Gon was so shitty. I can accept Obi was superior to Maul.

After seeing Maul kill Qui Gon so easily, I feel like Maul should be upper tier. I don't want to believe Qui Gon was so shitty. I can accept Obi was superior to Maul.
From what I remember Qui gon was already old in TPM. Like pushing 100 old. His force abilities let him age gracefully, but he was an old ass man.

From what I remember Qui gon was already old in TPM. Like pushing 100 old. His force abilities let him age gracefully, but he was an old ass man.
Where'd you get that from? Visual dictionary? Novel? Comic?

Where'd you get that from? Visual dictionary? Novel? Comic?
I don't remember tbh. Probably from someone in one of these threads. BUT.... It looks like that's incorrect. Wookiepedia has him at around 50 when he died. So I dunno..... always felt wrong to me that a highly respected jedi knight got punked like that.

If Maul had of harmed Qui Gons daughter, he would have torn Maul a new asshole.

As it was, old Qui Gon wasnt much motivated for their duel.

Hence, the old boy went down wout much of a fight.

I think Darth Bane's swordsmanship instructor gave him his master's curved hilt lightsaber as Bane's first lightsaber.
Totally forgot about Bane, he’s a straight up beast. And a canon character now thanks to Clone Wars

Back