Ranking the light saber duelists

Anakin was better than Vader supposedly, because the suit limited his speed/agility, and he grew tired faster. It did make him stronger though.

In my list I used characters we saw in the movies I'm sure the books and cartoons and comics and games open up the discussion to extreme levels.

I used their best form be it age, peak, experience etc.. Vader from vs Luke fight/defeat was a tad too old and he was emotional with conflicted feelings for his son that wasn't his best not even close maybe like 5-10 years since he became Vader was his real peak and not fighting vs his family.

Anakin was a bad ass but too all over the place and risking too much fighting like a young man with nothing holding him back and got defeated by the more balanced and more experienced prime Obi that showed talent can be beaten via fight IQ and experience.

I don't claim this is 100% just my own nerdy list and interpretation.

In my list I used characters we saw in the movies I'm sure the books and cartoons and comics and games open up the discussion to extreme levels.

I used their best form be it age, peak, experience etc.. Vader from vs Luke fight/defeat was a tad too old and he was emotional with conflicted feelings for his son that wasn't his best not even close maybe like 5-10 years since he became Vader was his real peak and not fighting vs his family.

Anakin was a bad ass but too all over the place and risking too much fighting like a young man with nothing holding him back and got defeated by the more balanced and more experienced prime Obi that showed talent can be beaten via fight IQ and experience.

I don't claim this is 100% just my own nerdy list and interpretation.
This is good! I like it.

Would like to know how Dooku discovered the curved lightsaber hilt design. I know it's to throw traditional users off when they see the strike coming. And Ventress learned it from Dooku. Interesting Saber design nonetheless.

the-force-may-be-with-you-meme.jpg

From the movies I got:

1. Windu

2. Palp tied with Yoda one focused on offense the other on defense

3. Vader

4. Dooku

5. Obi

6. Anakin

7. Luke

8. Kylo

9. Rey

10. Maul
I like this list but I would put Anakin over Vader. Your list looks solid but 4,5,6 gets messy. Obviously Dooku over Obi and Anakin over Dooku BUT later on Anakin and Obi are very evenly matched. Just like MMA math doesn’t always work, Lightsaber math is rough here. From the content we have I wouldn’t rate Luke so high either. We haven’t seen a lot from him. Vader WRECKED him the first time. The second time Vader wasn’t going for the kill obviously so it is hard to rate Luke’s performance.

and where do you have Ashoka on that list?? Coming with the new Clone Wars season it looks like we see how she stacks up against Maul. And she did run that sick gauntlet in Rebels and survived.

No way. Anakin has poor limb defense.

Prime Anakin lost limbs in a clear loss to prime Obi-Wan. Plus pre-prime Anakin lost limbs to Dooku.

Prime Obi-wan, along with Mace, Yoda, and Palpatine all leave a duel with Anakin holding some limb trophies.
What you call Prime Anakin was a freshly turned to the dark side emotional Anakin. That was NOT prime Anakin my friends. Prime Anakin was in late Clone Wars and early RoTS.

Prime Anakin is a light side Anakin and in a one on one duel could go toe to toe with anyone else.

Here we go, the official Draxton List.

1. Windu: every pics of content we have says he is the best lightsaber duelist so we have to take that at its word.

2. Yoda/Palpatine tie. In pure lightsaber combat its a tie and Yoda was only forced to retreat once force powers and flying senate chairs were used.

3. Prime Lightside Anakin. He took out Dooku the number 4 on my list. He was also said to rival Yoda and Windu in lightsaber combats.

4. Dooku: A direct student of Yoda and we saw him take out Obi-Wan twice. He beat pre Clone Wars Anakin but got WRECKED by Prime lightside Anakin.

5. Obi-Wan: His only really losses were to Dooku. He threw the Vader fight in A New Hope so Luke and company could escape. While he beat Anakin, that was after Anakin’s fall to the dark side and was no longer in his prime due to fighting too emotionally.

6. Ahsoka: Trained by some of the best Jedi to ever exist and we have seen here time and a time again hold her own, even against a post suit Vader.

6. Maul: Took our Qui-Gon who was a direct student of Dooku.

7. Rey: Hate all you want but she has a natural fighting talent and stood toe to toe with Kylo Ren when she was an amateur. She easily outshines him as she progresses.

8. Kylo Ren/Ben Solo: Hard to judge because their aren’t many lightsaber users in his timeframe, but he did go ham egg and cheese on Snokes royal guards and obliterated their Knights of Ren.

9. Luke: We saw him survive post suit Vader, BARELY, on Bespin because Vader let him live while trying to turn him. Same could be said for their fight on Death Star 2.

Tier 1:
Mace Windu
Yoda
Anakin Skywalker
Darth Sidious
Count Dooku
Obi-Wan Kenobi

Tier 2:
Kirak Infil'a
Maul
General Grievous
Ahsoka Tano
Asajj Ventress

Tier 3:
Luke Skywalker
Qui-Gon Jinn
Kit Fisto
Depa Billaba
Grand Inquisitor
Savage Opress

Tier 4:
Kanan Jarrus
Seventh Sister
Ben Solo
Ezra Bridger
Rey

Tier 1:
Mace Windu
Yoda
Anakin Skywalker
Darth Sidious
Count Dooku
Obi-Wan Kenobi

Tier 2:
Kirak Infil'a
Maul
General Grievous
Ahsoka Tano
Asajj Ventress

Tier 3:
Luke Skywalker
Qui-Gon Jinn
Kit Fisto
Depa Billaba
Grand Inquisitor
Savage Opress

Tier 4:
Kanan Jarrus
Seventh Sister
Ben Solo
Ezra Bridger
Rey
Very well done

Mace and Yoda are over Palpatine. You are talking about light saber dueling, not battle overall. Palpatine had little for Mace with his light Saber. He did better against Yoda, but Yoda still had the edge. It was his force knowledge that enabled him to emerge victorious in those battles.

Also Obi-Wan is much higher. Top 5. Clear wins over Anakin and Greivous, along with a pre-prime victory over prime Maul.
He’s 2-0 against Maul.

Part of why I hate the prequels is how inconsistent they were at portraying Kenobi.
1. He beats Maul (twice)
2. He gets dunked on my Dooku (twice)
3. Has to use a blaster to beat Grievous
4. Beats Anakin, who beat Dooku easily.

Obi Wan's spectacular move to go from hanging for dear life to using the force to grab Qui Gon's saber, jump and one shot Darth Maul was ultra badass. Also slicing Dark Anakin out of the sky in multiple pieces was badass.

He’s 2-0 against Maul.

Part of why I hate the prequels is how inconsistent they were at portraying Kenobi.
1. He beats Maul (twice)
2. He gets dunked on my Dooku (twice)
3. Has to use a blaster to beat Grievous
4. Beats Anakin, who beat Dooku easily.
Maybe Obi had irritable bowel when he fought DOO-ku. Perhaps Dooku's powers involve giving his opponents doo doo problems.

Maybe Obi had irritable bowel when he fought DOO-ku. Perhaps Dooku's powers involve giving his opponents doo doo problems.
This was true before Disney too away the canon status of the novels.

In my mind it was Mace Windu, followed by Yoda and the emperor (who were tied, maybe yoda a tad stronger), followed by Anakin and Obi. Anakin better offensively, Obi better defensively.
Then Dooku, then Maul. Then Luke, then Vader, then old Obi, then the rest of the Jedi masters, then kylo ren, then rey (haven’t seen latest film however, she may have jumped ahead of Kylo) then the regular Jedi, then Finn.

What you call Prime Anakin was a freshly turned to the dark side emotional Anakin. That was NOT prime Anakin my friends. Prime Anakin was in late Clone Wars and early RoTS.

Prime Anakin is a light side Anakin and in a one on one duel could go toe to toe with anyone else.
Here we go, the official Draxton List.

1. Windu: every pics of content we have says he is the best lightsaber duelist so we have to take that at its word.

2. Yoda/Palpatine tie. In pure lightsaber combat its a tie and Yoda was only forced to retreat once force powers and flying senate chairs were used.

3. Prime Lightside Anakin. He took out Dooku the number 4 on my list. He was also said to rival Yoda and Windu in lightsaber combats.

4. Dooku: A direct student of Yoda and we saw him take out Obi-Wan twice. He beat pre Clone Wars Anakin but got WRECKED by Prime lightside Anakin.

5. Obi-Wan: His only really losses were to Dooku. He threw the Vader fight in A New Hope so Luke and company could escape. While he beat Anakin, that was after Anakin’s fall to the dark side and was no longer in his prime due to fighting too emotionally.

6. Ahsoka: Trained by some of the best Jedi to ever exist and we have seen here time and a time again hold her own, even against a post suit Vader.

6. Maul: Took our Qui-Gon who was a direct student of Dooku.

7. Rey: Hate all you want but she has a natural fighting talent and stood toe to toe with Kylo Ren when she was an amateur. She easily outshines him as she progresses.

8. Kylo Ren/Ben Solo: Hard to judge because their aren’t many lightsaber users in his timeframe, but he did go ham egg and cheese on Snokes royal guards and obliterated their Knights of Ren.

9. Luke: We saw him survive post suit Vader, BARELY, on Bespin because Vader let him live while trying to turn him. Same could be said for their fight on Death Star 2.

I suppose I can get on board with this. The only thing I would ask is where would you put Anakin/Vader overall if you did not break out prime light side Anakin? To me that's not really fair, because switching to the dark side is more akin to switching camps than being a different person. I mean how many 1 on 1 duels with top duelists did prime lightside Anakin have? Prime light side Anakin existed for like 8 seconds.

Maybe prime light-side Anakin could have beat Obi-Wan. But they never dueled. And was it really a prime light side Anakin that defeated Dooku. He had to tap into his darker side to win that fight and he did take an unarmed Dooku's head at the end of it, which is definitely not light side.

Personally, I think you have to take the totality of Anakin/Vader to rank him properly as a duelist. And you have that cat ranked above duelists that have 5 of his limbs in trophy cases.

Movie Darth Vader was extremely slow and clumsy.

Back