Ranking the light saber duelists

Fedorgasm

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
Who's the best light saber duelist based only on Canon?

Tell me where I'm wrong

1. Palpatine - beat maul and Yoda. Some will say he lost to windu but that had to be part of his plan, because he couldn't have turned Anakin otherwise. So losing on purpose doesn't count.

2. Mace Windu - was said by many to be thet most powerful duelist. He killed hundreds of droids and one of those huge sand pounder tanks by himself. Killed jango Fett with ease. Murked general Greivous and gave him the cough. Ranked below palpatine because palps was so in control of that situation that he could time it perfectly with Anakin's arrival, as if mace windu was a plaything.

3. Yoda - beat dooku but allowed him to escape. Only had one loss on record, to palpatine. Some characters say Windu and Yoda were the two best, but other characters just mention Windu as being the number 1 jedi in saber combat.

4. Luke - Only lost to vader, but he later avenged that loss when he was better trained.

5. Anakin - A case could be made for him being the best, but his one downfall is his emotion and confusion. All the Masters say they sense much confusion in him and confusion makes you weaker on both the light and dark sides. Kills dooku, beats Ventress, wrecks hundreds of others, but loses to both Luke and Obi-Wan due to internal turmoil.

6. Dooku - I forget who said it, but I could swear I heard his skill rivalled Yoda's when he was a Jedi. He basically destroys everyone he ever fights including obi-wan with ease, with the only exception being Yoda and a prime Anakin.

7. Obi-Wan - Some think he should be higher because he beat prime Anakin. But if you take that win away his record is less impressive. Anakin was clearly more powerful, but because of his internal turmoil and the fact that obi wan could predict his moves, Anakin lost. Obi-Wan was still very powerful and defeated maul twice, grievous, ventress many times and a number of other characters during the clone wars.

8. Darth Maul - beat qui gon, savage, and Kanan, lost to obi wan and palps.

9. General Greivous - killed many can Jedi. Could be argued that he belongs above maul. They both lost to obi wan but I ranked Greivous lower because he ran away after obi-Wan cut off his arms pretty quickly, whereas maul damn near killed Obi-Wan in their first fight.

10. Ahsoka Tano
11. Savage Opress

12. Qui-Gon Jinn - love the character but we only saw him fight twice and he barely escaped maul with his life and got killed the second time.

13. Asaj Ventress
14. Kanan
15. Ezra Bridger
16. Sha-gi
17. Ben solo

Last edited:
Anakin is number 1. Pre suit. Gtfo of here with the rest.

Anakin is number 1. Pre suit. Gtfo of here with the rest.

No way. Anakin has poor limb defense.

Prime Anakin lost limbs in a clear loss to prime Obi-Wan. Plus pre-prime Anakin lost limbs to Dooku.

Prime Obi-wan, along with Mace, Yoda, and Palpatine all leave a duel with Anakin holding some limb trophies.

Darth Maul crew checking in. Double light saber and karate kicks …. !!!!!

No way. Prime Anakin lost limbs to prime Obi-Wan
If they would have remained on level ground he would have smashed obi. Fact. Play the alternate version of Jedi Power Battles I think it was.

I agree with his assessment about emotions but they even agree he matches Yoda

The obsession some people have with Star Wars completely justifies the mediocrity of the newest trilogy. I say this as a fan of Star Wars myself, but it's too big with nerds.

And, obviously I am the best lightsaber duelist.

<{pranko}>

I consider starkiller canon and new films not canon except rogue one

So starkiller

I always thought this guy was the best.

Who's the best light saber duelist based only on Canon?

Tell me where I'm wrong

1. Palpatine - beat maul and Yoda. Some will say he lost to windu but that had to be part of his plan, because he couldn't have turned Anakin otherwise. So losing on purpose doesn't count.

2. Mace Windu - was said by many to be thet most powerful duelist. He killed hundreds of droids and one of those huge sand pounder tanks by himself. Killed jango Fett with ease. Murked general Greivous and gave him the cough. Ranked below palpatine because palps was so in control of that situation that he could time it perfectly with Anakin's arrival, as if mace windu was a plaything.

3. Yoda - beat dooku but allowed him to escape. Only had one loss on record, to palpatine. Some characters say Windu and Yoda were the two best, but other characters just mention Windu as being the number 1 jedi in saber combat.

4. Luke - Only lost to vader, but he later avenged that loss when he was better trained.

5. Anakin - A case could be made for him being the best, but his one downfall is his emotion and confusion. All the Masters say they sense much confusion in him and confusion makes you weaker on both the light and dark sides. Kills dooku, beats Ventress, wrecks hundreds of others, but loses to both Luke and Obi-Wan due to internal turmoil.

6. Dooku - I forget who said it, but I could swear I heard his skill rivalled Yoda's when he was a Jedi. He basically destroys everyone he ever fights including obi-wan with ease, with the only exception being Yoda and a prime Anakin.

7. Obi-Wan - Some think he should be higher because he beat prime Anakin. But if you take that win away his record is less impressive. Anakin was clearly more powerful, but because of his internal turmoil and the fact that obi wan could predict his moves, Anakin lost. Obi-Wan was still very powerful and defeated maul twice, grievous, ventress many times and a number of other characters during the clone wars.

8. Darth Maul - beat qui gon, savage, and Kanan, lost to obi wan and palps.

9. General Greivous - killed many can Jedi. Could be argued that he belongs above maul. They both lost to obi wan but I ranked Greivous lower because he ran away after obi-Wan cut off his arms pretty quickly, whereas maul damn near killed Obi-Wan in their first fight.

10. Ahsoka Tano
11. Savage Opress

12. Qui-Gon Jinn - love the character but we only saw him fight twice and he barely escaped maul with his life and got killed the second time.

13. Asaj Ventress
14. Kanan
15. Ezra Bridger
16. Sha-gi
17. Ben solo

Mace and Yoda are over Palpatine. You are talking about light saber dueling, not battle overall. Palpatine had little for Mace with his light Saber. He did better against Yoda, but Yoda still had the edge. It was his force knowledge that enabled him to emerge victorious in those battles.

Also Obi-Wan is much higher. Top 5. Clear wins over Anakin and Greivous, along with a pre-prime victory over prime Maul.

Last edited:
Wasn't Palpatine's energy extremely low b/c he used the Force lightning so much during the battle w/ Anakin and Mace?

Anakin only lost to Obi-Wan because of arrogance, new to the dark side, completely overtaken by anger, emotions, he was blind... otherwise he would had ragdoll him... and i think force wanted Obi-Wan to win and survive.

Palpatine is number one... win over Yoda and what he did with Mace was complete control of situation, except risking his life for Anakin to become Vader, it was still a chance for Anakin to side with Mace.

Anakin in Episode 3, what he did to Dooku, i think he would quickly elevate to number 1 spot.

If they would have remained on level ground he would have smashed obi. Fact. Play the alternate version of Jedi Power Battles I think it was.

I agree with his assessment about emotions but they even agree he matches Yoda

Nope. They had an extremely long, epic light saber battle on even ground, in many different settings, and they were virtually equal. Anakins poor limb defense did him in as usual. Only a good performance on Geonosis prior to his Dooku loss and his victory over an over a post-prime Dooku gets him on the list. Other than that his resume is padded with Youngling cans, sand people, droids, and helpless, saberless Neimoidian trade federation officers.

Last edited:
Wasn't Palpatine's energy extremely low b/c he used the Force lightning so much during the battle w/ Anakin and Mace?
I always thought of Palps as a turtle with patience as his greatest virtue and not combat abilities. Still strong in the force though.

Your horseshit opinions dont matter here. It's always been Anakin

Nope. They had an extremely long, epic light saber battle on even ground and they were virtually equal. Anakins poor limb defense did him in as usual. Only a good performance on Geonosis prior to his Dooku loss and his victory over an over a post-prime Dooku gets him on the list. Other than that his resume is padded with Youngling cans, droids, and helpless, saberless Neimoidian trade federation officers.

Anakin kills Obi in the rematch and is 1-1 with Luke. He also kills Palpatine with one hand. "Bu... but Palps wasn't ready!" It's Sith combat, baby. Protect yourself at all times.

Last edited:
1.Darth Thrad
2.Dibble Do Darpa
3.Ebus Pimpel
4.Lord Rottenchops

Anakin kills Obi in the rematch and is 1-1 with Luke. He also kills Palpatine with one hand. Bu... but Palps wasn't ready! It's Sith combat. Protect yourself at all times.

Man are you an Anakin nuthugger.

First off, Anakin didn't kill Palpatine. Seen any of the new episodes? Secondly, it's completely irrelevant to the conversation because neither touched a light saber. We are talking about light saber duels here.

And the Anakin Obi-Wan rematch- Good Lord, that's the equivalent of Ortiz-Liddell III. And even that was an even match until Obi-Wan threw it so Luke could escape and he could become a force ghost.

And his victory over a pre-prime, never even had an amateur bout Luke is meaningless. Hell, Aside from Anakin, Luke himself is one of the most overrated light-saber duelists of all time. Not one single victory over a prime top 10 duelist.

That Fat Kid on YouTube...

Back