Ranking systems

LOL if I'm "mr smarty pants" because I play chess then the bar is set pretty low. :D
Those weird-ass pieces on his board would fuck me up. I guess you get used to them eventually.

Would a chess style ranking system work in MMA?

Or is there any other system that might work better?
It's called ELO, and it's a legit system.

However, unlike chess, tennis and golf, there are not enough common opponents for it to be a quality self sufficient model. Just not enough data points. So sometimes it gives really good results, and other times really awkward results. So for MMA it is not sufficient by itself.

But when used in conjunction with a more traditional "media polling" opinion style system, it adds another view, perspective, dimension. Not unlike how college football used to use both "coaches opinion polls" and a mathematical formula together.

Here's some ELO. check it out. http://www.fightmatrix.com/all-time-mma-rankings/all-time-absolute/

Those weird-ass pieces on his board would fuck me up. I guess you get used to them eventually.
Chess is like boxing. You learn your jab, cross, hook, uppercut etc. in a matter of hours... then how to use and combine them effectively... you learn all your life. :)

Mma guys don’t fight enough for it to work

Perhaps have a ranking system like BoxRec?

Rankings don't matter

4227F18700000578-0-image-a-32_1499554999728.jpg

head clean off

As mentioned earlier Fightmatrix does something like that. This guy on YouTube is great, he has a video on his channel explaining his formula.

It’s hard to do because in MMA the top guys barely fight, so the computation has to avoid fucking over careers like Brock’s and not giving Travis Fulton too many points.

Also the lack of documentation for weight classes on sherdog/tapology is a clusterfuck this sport will eventually have to overcome.

And also also it’s hard to fairly punish inactivity.

that’s a great video n I gues pretty much settles the goat question

Chess is like boxing. You learn your jab, cross, hook, uppercut etc. in a matter of hours... then how to use and combine them effectively... you learn all your life. :)
Yeah, I didn’t mean that I don’t know how to play :)
But when ppl have weird boards, it makes me do a double-take once you’re past the opening, and the game is really getting going. Like, “Wait, was this the king on this stupid-ass board, or the queen?” That kind of thing.

Yeah, I didn’t mean that I don’t know how to play :)
But when ppl have weird boards, it makes me do a double-take once you’re past the opening, and the game is really getting going. Like, “Wait, was this the king on this stupid-ass board, or the queen?” That kind of thing.
ooooooh :D
ok

Back