Ranking System in Muay Thai

I'm not trying to attack you, I just think that's an over-reaction. There's nothing wrong with the belt system in and of itself, and different cultures are going to adapt Muay Thai in different ways - just like the Thais adapted Muay Boran, right?

If a gym gives belts or some other kind of rank in Muay Thai, that doesn't hurt anything. If they advocate not getting into the ring, if they charge unreasonable amounts for each belt level, if they put inappropriate restrictions on students until they hit certain belt levels, THAT is the problem. Just because the latter is often accompanied by the former doesn't mean that the former is always accompanied by the latter.

If you keep talking like this, you will be stripped of your Muay Thai black belt and your chocolate starfish badge too! :wink:

You should check out Chok Sabai, it is a Muay Thai gym owneed by a female Nak Muay.

Chok Sabai Gym

That's an excellent idea -- I'd forgotten about that gym. The owner/trainer there actually came from 5 Points, and I heard that most of her students are women. Nikita should definitely have a look.

Thanks, Ryukyu Damashi and Cannon_6!! I'll check it out! Although I've signed up for a year, I can put my membership "on hold."

Just found out that 5 Points charges $35 to test into a level, and the fee goes up to $50 to test into higher levels!

5 Points Academy.

Most of the instructors are pretty good. And the facilities are decent too. They actually have weights and cardio machines unlike The Wat. Wasn't too happy that you are required to wear a "uniform," which you have to buy from the gym, but oh well.

Im glad I joined the WAT

The instructors are good..but young..but good

I think there is going to be a new armband system though

and welcome me to the boardQ

Welcome, nygenxny. I'm new too. I miss some of the instructors from The Wat!

So I spoke with one of my instructors about sparring and he told me that since I've only been a member for 2 months, I'm not allowed to spar. But he did offer to spar with me and told me that the gym was offering a special right now--2 personal training sessions for $140. He said that if we train together, he would assess my skills to determine whether or not they would make a special exception for me to attend the sparring classes. Sounds like a ripoff, doesn't it??

So I spoke with one of my instructors about sparring and he told me that since I've only been a member for 2 months, I'm not allowed to spar. But he did offer to spar with me and told me that the gym was offering a special right now--2 personal training sessions for $140. He said that if we train together, he would assess my skills to determine whether or not they would make a special exception for me to attend the sparring classes. Sounds like a ripoff, doesn't it??

Yes.

It seems like your instructor could just take 5min, put you in the ring with an advanced student/fighter he trusts not to demolish you, and make the judgment.

that's a complete ripoff!

you: hi, i'm [dilbert/bas rutten] and i just joined this gym, my goals are to [not get pushed around at the office/train in secret and eat your face], and i'd like to join your sparring class.

them: ok [dilbert/bas rutten], well since you just joined i personally don't know how good you are without you paying an exam fee or purchasing personal trainer sessions, so tell you what, just for THIS TIME ONLY i'll give you a discount for 2 sessions at $140, and you know what? just because i think you're a great person and have potential i'm gonna throw in a free gym towel too!

you: well that seems unreasonable, couldn't i just [spar with you for 5 mins/liver kick you till pee blood] and you can assess my level then?

them: no no, we have process here that after 6 months and a $30 test THEN we know your level is good enough and at that point you'll be able handle sparring, but hey you know what? i like you so i'm gonna cut you this special deal where i charge you some money in order to make sure you're ready.

seriously?? wtf, i don't know what their deal is, if you want to spar you should be able to spar. the absolute best way to get better is to get in there and go against people better than you, even if they want to keep the sparring classes to just the "pros" the instructor shouldn't be trying to slimeball squeeze you for money like that.

my gym which has a legendary muay thai fighter from thailand teaching the class, he has a ranking system also, i'm new to the ranking system though, despite doing striking for 3 years now, i am still not ranked yet in my gym, but i am still pretty good at it. i don't know how the ranking system works it's arm bands at my gym, i am still on my gym's free trial, they are giving me a month free so, and all the time i've trained in muay thai i have never been ranked with arm bands.

my gym which has a legendary muay thai fighter from thailand teaching the class, he has a ranking system also, i'm new to the ranking system though, despite doing striking for 3 years now, i am still not ranked yet in my gym, but i am still pretty good at it. i don't know how the ranking system works it's arm bands at my gym, i am still on my gym's free trial, they are giving me a month free so, and all the time i've trained in muay thai i have never been ranked with arm bands.

OK...I'll bite. Who is the guy from Thailand?

Kaensak sor ploejit

Probably not his system but more like the gym system. (He is just an employee after all)
Lots of American gyms use armband color to give students sense of accomplishment.
It is nonsense really. You can only measure your skill in muay thai by fighting.

Probably not his system but more like the gym system. (He is just an employee after all)
Lots of American gyms use armband color to give students sense of accomplishment.
It is nonsense really. You can only measure your skill in muay thai by fighting.

i actually agree with the armband, because i like to be ranked, so i can see how good i am, they don't give you armband promotions for no reason.

And doesn't kings mma in brazil use armbands also?

If its an internal gym system then its not too bad I guess. Given its entirely optional and not forced like tma belting scams

I'm guessing it works like a poster previously mentioned:
1-exhibition/demo
2-ammy fight
3-pro fight

So you drag up a 5 year old thread........to talk about ranking system in a ring sport.......it's just like boxing.....you only get a belt for fighting your way to the top and beating the champ with the belt.....

Next thing you will be talking about different colour shoe laces in boxing shoes to tell which rank you are in a boxing gym!!!

Please give me a break......they need to keep it just the way it is in Thailand.....just like a boxing gym.

wsl7b9.jpg

Kaensak sor ploejit

Nice...I thought he was instructing out in New Jersey.

He's an old vid of my first instructor holding pads for him at my old gym. I wonder what this was filmed on lol:

And doesn't kings mma in brazil use armbands also?

Kings MMA (Chute Boxe) is more "Brazilian Muay Thai." MT in Brazil comes originally from TKD artists back in the day, hence the "belt" system.

I cringe when I hear Goldberg say that guys like Rafael dos Anjos and Beneil Dariush have black belts in Muay Thai under Rafael Cordeiro. Considering that the UFC is most likely the extent of mainstream exposure to "Muay Thai," most casuals that watch the sport probably assume they give out colored belts in Thailand also.

Nice...I thought he was instructing out in New Jersey.

He's an old vid of my first instructor holding pads for him at my old gym. I wonder what this was filmed on lol:

Kings MMA (Chute Boxe) is more "Brazilian Muay Thai." MT in Brazil comes originally from TKD artists back in the day, hence the "belt" system.

I cringe when I hear Goldberg say that guys like Rafael dos Anjos and Beneil Dariush have black belts in Muay Thai under Rafael Cordeiro. Considering that the UFC is most likely the extent of mainstream exposure to "Muay Thai," most casuals that watch the sport probably assume they give out colored belts in Thailand also.

he is teaching in new jersey, i live in new jersey, i'm on a free trial with the gym he's at.

The people trying to defend a ranking system in Muy Thai are like the ones trying to give good reasons for BJJ fee testing for belts.

Reminds me of people trying to defend the presence of a pile of shit in the corner of the living room :

- sure it doesn't smell good, but you can still watch TV

Or:

- well he had to go, and in the end it's only natural to take a crap

Or:

- you know if you put perfume on it it won't be that bad

But in the end of the day there is still a big pile of stinking shit in your living room, no matter how much you try to ignore it.

Back