Rank your Top 5 MMA wrestlers who don't have a significant amateur wrestling background

giphy.gif
Lol he was so good, he went pro.

Jose Aldo imo. The dude has the best TDD ever and his TDs are also excellent. He outwrestled prime Edgar and prime Mendes with ease 2X.

lol its like half the posts didn't read or understand the question.

For me it its gsp, gustafson later in his career and aldo.

One I haven't seen mentioned and i'm not sure if he does have a wrestling background,but Rani Yahya has a nasty entrance and timing on his double despite not driving through that great.His wrestling is quite good when he's not gassed.I don't think he wrestled because of his big wrestling improvements through out his career.Obviously a stand out grappler.

GSP, Ricardo Arona, and Jacare are the best takedown artists I can think of to have never wrestled.

Would be more interesting if the list were a fighters without a significant grappling background to a top mma wrestler. Ive seen many BJJ practitioners transition to a very nice wrestling base later. Seems like the skills and technique is there, but its the frame of thought thats a big difference from BJJ and wrestling.

Aldo, Yahya, Jacare (kind of, his takedown game isn't very good. But he has a few nice takedowns, same situation with Maia). Whittaker is also a very good shout out.

That I can think of, Jose, BJ, and Renan seemed to be in their own tier. GSP is one of the best if not the best, regardless of training.

After that you get some solid guys, but nobody that really sticks out like them.

I like this thread. It’s like a spin on the “best submission artists with no BJJ belt” thread that pips up every once in a while (which rightfully ends up paying homage to Hughes, Lytle, and Horn).

prime GSP wasn't just the best wrestler without a wrestling pedigree in MMA, he was the best wrestler in MMA period.

Back