Moacir Oliveira
jake shields
Renato Tavares
Murilo Bustamante
ryan gracie
eddie bravo
bj penn

assume they are all the same weight and just rank them on skill and ability

That isn't something you can do. People like Monson are big and play their style in conjunction with this.

Bighead said:
That isn't something you can do. People like Monson are big and play their style in conjunction with this.

exactly why white belts shouldn't be starting threads...

sorry i dont spend all my time posting on sherdog mr. black belt.. by the way whats your real jiu jitsu rank.. im guessing white...

purple
this is like my 5th post in the past 3 months =P

geussed wrong eh.... sherdog black belt+ bjj purple belt = "seniority"
white belt hayliks, i remember that, i was blue belt back then and i still am, very frustrating.

guardpasser said:
geussed wrong eh.... sherdog black belt+ bjj purple belt = "seniority"
white belt hayliks, i remember that, i was blue belt back then and i still am, very frustrating.

that sucks... i know a few other guys that were blues when i started and still are, same with purples... though today 4 guys who were purples when i started are getting their blacks.

hayliks said:
purple
this is like my 5th post in the past 3 months =P

It's like they can't fathom that someone that is into the sport enough to train up to that level would spend a lot of time talking about the sport, even online, especially at work...

Inconceivable.

You know, the OP could have saved this thread if he put a little more qualifiers in it, and said something like "...in terms of technique", or something to that effect. Then, someone like Monson would fall into a specific spot due to his reliance on his size, and that sort of thing.

news flash, i am still a blue belt, and every time i roll with a 4 stripe blue belt for the past 2 years they get promoted, i feel vulnerable. but its ok, one day i will be at brown belt level, still wearing the blue belt, and i will be the baddest blue belt around, thats right.

topic....i geuss i couldnt help on the rankings there either,

guardpasser said:
news flash, i am still a blue belt, and every time i roll with a 4 stripe blue belt for the past 2 years they get promoted, i feel vulnerable. but its ok, one day i will be at brown belt level, still wearing the blue belt, and i will be the baddest blue belt around, thats right.

topic....i geuss i couldnt help on the rankings there either,

How long have you been a blue? Is your instructor gonna promote you sometime soon?

Thought: Much like using your speed to your advantage, does using your size to your advantage not require some degree of skill?

i dont have a "home" acadamy any more, so i am a loner.
it doesnt matter to me much, i dont have as much pressure on me as a blue belt.
i have been a blue around 4 years, white belt for 6 years before that of off and on training.
carlos machado said i should be a high brown belt if i would have stuck with it. i know the techniques and teach a lot of blue and purple belts techniques, but i still dont have my cardio and wieght where it needs to be. i am down to 234 and 20% body fat. i was at 260 and 25.1% 8 weeks ago. when i get to 224 and am at 14% body fat, my cardio will be right and i will make a run for the purple somewhere.

Back