Rank the best win streaks among GOAT candidates (Fedor, Jones, Silva, GSP, Aldo)

These are the longest win streaks among GOAT candidates:

Fedor - 27 fight win streak, 21 finishes, 3 title defenses

Jones - 14 fight win streak, 9 finishes, 8 title defenses

Silva - 17 fight win streak, 15 finishes, 10 title defenses

GSP - 13 fight win streak, 9 title defenses, 4 finishes

Aldo - 18 fight win streak, 9 title defenses, 9 finishes

My rank is:
1. Silva (barely edged out Fedor via title defenses)
2. Fedor
3. Aldo
4. Jones
5. GSP

How would you rank these win streaks?

1 Jones
2 MM
3 GSP
4 Silva
5 Aldo
6 Fedor

MM should be included most defenses best competition over a long period of time, fans don't know the great guys he beat cause they didn't want to know. GSP fought tougher competition than AS IMO, but how everything ended for him kind of ruins it cause AS's division was weaker but he fought the strongest individuals either of them fought and he actually stuck around to lose. GSP bounced when he was ahead and he was 31, a baby age for a champion MMA fighter right after getting his ass kicked.

AS had the chirade of going up to 205 to get more winnable fights he'd get extra credit for, Jones will do the same at HW looks like, but Jones was harassed into doing that shit, he didn't seek out that strategy. His division though looks better with time IMO but it was a smaller division and he couldn't handle other large elite strikers. Think AS and GSP both got favorable matchups through their career and were vulnerable to elite striking, Jones and MM beat mostly everything.

Fedor win total is inflated cause Pride had tournaments and lots of non title bouts. Pride's HW division was superior but it was also top heavy the win streak was mostly against inferior dudes. Think Cro Cop could have beaten Fedor. Fedor also turned down a shit ton of money to face better competition in the UFC and when he fought in Strikeforce he lost to the best guys he faced, some of whom weren't natural HW's. Think Fedor's streak was based on the Pride system and if things were like that in the US you'd be comparing him with longer streaks than you are.

People don't just remember what you did, they remember how you made them feel. Taking a qualitative element into account:

Jones is the most dominant. Much longer win streak if you forget about that Hamill nonsense. Certainly not a likeable human being, but that's not what this is about.
Fedor the most likeable and close second. He made the guys he was fighting look like little babies and he was running the daycare. a Ukrainian czar without parallel. I'd probably put MM next to him on the pedestal at #2 as well.
Silva/Aldo similar in terms of competition level and aura of invincibility until their abrupt falls. Excellent runs with overwhelming dominance, but not quite at the level of the first two. Close though.
GSP boring 2nd half of his career, way too cautious, his slow komodo dragon type death at the end (George "no rush" St Pierre) left a foul taste in my mouth. This sneaky bisping sniper belt also sketched me out. Appreciated his class in terms of conduct, but was ready to see him go by the end. Not my guy.

Ranking Their Streaks By The Numbers:
Streak Length:
1) Fedor - 27
2) Aldo - 18
3) Silva - 17
4) Jones - 14
5) GSP - 13

Streak Finishes:
1) Fedor - 21
2) Silva - 15
3) Aldo - 9
3) Jones - 9
5) GSP - 4

Wins As #1 In Division:
1) Fedor - 18
2) Silva - 14
3) GSP - 11
4) Aldo - 9
5) Jones - 8

Wins Over Top 15:
1) Fedor - 18
2) GSP - 13
2) Jones - 13
2) Silva - 13
5) Aldo - 11

Wins Over Top 10:
1) Fedor - 14
2) GSP - 13
3) Jones - 12
4) Silva - 11
5) Aldo - 9

Wins Over Top 5:
1) GSP - 13
2) Fedor - 9
3) Aldo - 8
4) Jones - 7
4) Silva - 7

Wins Over Top 10 P4P:
1) Fedor - 4
1) GSP - 4
3) Aldo - 2
3) Jones - 2
3) Silva - 2

Wins In #1 Title Fights:
1) GSP - 12
2) Silva - 11
2) Jones - 11
4) Aldo - 10
5) Fedor - 7(always leave out WAMMA)

Average Ranking:
1) Fedor - 1.63
2) GSP - 2.5
3) Silva - 2.75
4) Jones - 3.25
5) Aldo - 3.63

These are the longest win streaks among GOAT candidates:

Fedor - 27 fight win streak, 21 finishes, 3 title defenses

Jones - 14 fight win streak, 9 finishes, 8 title defenses

Silva - 17 fight win streak, 15 finishes, 10 title defenses

GSP - 13 fight win streak, 9 title defenses, 4 finishes

Aldo - 18 fight win streak, 9 title defenses, 9 finishes

My rank is:
1. Silva (barely edged out Fedor via title defenses)
2. Fedor
3. Aldo
4. Jones
5. GSP

How would you rank these win streaks?

Aldo went 25-0 to start his career at FW

His early loss was at LW

Ranking Their Streaks By The Numbers:
Streak Length:
1) Fedor - 27
2) Aldo - 18
3) Silva - 17
4) Jones - 14
5) GSP - 13

Streak Finishes:
1) Fedor - 21
2) Silva - 15
3) Aldo - 9
3) Jones - 9
5) GSP - 4

Wins As #1 In Division:
1) Fedor - 18
2) Silva - 14
3) GSP - 11
4) Aldo - 9
5) Jones - 8

Wins Over Top 15:
1) Fedor - 18
2) GSP - 13
2) Jones - 13
2) Silva - 13
5) Aldo - 11

Wins Over Top 10:
1) Fedor - 14
2) GSP - 13
3) Jones - 12
4) Silva - 11
5) Aldo - 9

Wins Over Top 5:
1) GSP - 13
2) Fedor - 9
3) Aldo - 8
4) Jones - 7
4) Silva - 7

Wins Over Top 10 P4P:
1) Fedor - 4
1) GSP - 4
3) Aldo - 2
3) Jones - 2
3) Silva - 2

Wins In #1 Title Fights:
1) GSP - 12
2) Silva - 11
2) Jones - 11
4) Aldo - 10
5) Fedor - 7(always leave out WAMMA)

Average Ranking:
1) Fedor - 1.63
2) GSP - 2.5
3) Silva - 2.75
4) Jones - 3.25

5) Aldo - 3.63

That's some nerd crap.

Just watch THE SPORT and understand it. The best is clear from the performance, not from numbers that can't be compared. Each fight is different.

You know Fedor's streak was interfered with a NC too. NC's by definition are treated as if they didn't happen they don't break the streak. Jones streak is officially at 15. If you don't count the DQ it's at 18 but I get if you do. The NC treatment for Jones and Fedor is a double standard though, count both or either don't cherry pick.

If you count both Fedor and Jones's NC's, Fedor's streak is only at 16 and it's 16 v 14.

For me it's Jones, and it's not even close. An impressive 25-0 against amazing opposition doing things to those fighters nobody else have done. I don't care about 12 to 6 elbows or that NC against Cormier, I watched the fights.

He has looked invencible also on every fight, dominating each opponent. GSP got knocked out by Serra and couldn't finish most of his opponents, not even Dan Hardy. Anderson got outwrestled all the time, losing rounds to guys like Travis Lutter this way and even fights to some japanese bums because of it. I don't know half the guys that DJ beat. Aldo got destroyed by Max and Conor and he doesn't look past his prime, he can still outclass Edgar and the rest of the division.

Fedor is the GOAT because he faced the toughest dudes on the planet at heavyweight and reached 33-0 with more than 10 wins over top 10 ranked guys. But he wasn't really as impressive. HWs are the most undimensional fighters in MMA and Fedor exploited this by being well rounded, he also had to come back from behind in many fights. Fujjita almost knocked him out, Hunt pinned him down and was trying to do an americana to him. Most of the guys Jones faced were legit beasts for their weight and he toyed with them.

Jon's my favourite fighter to watch for years now but let's be real, at least half the guys he beat in title fights were short-notice injury fill-ins or broken down past-their-prime types or middleweights or all three.

It's also not even remotely true that he did "things to those fighters nobody else had done". A lot of Jon's opponents got far worse beatings than he gave them.

He also didn't look invincible in every fight. Gus put him in hospital and Vitor, a freakin 185er, almost took his arm home.

Fedor… When he did it the Pride HW division was stacked with killers, also had a few Freak Show fights but that is entertainment...
Fedor’s career streak is a mixed bag.

He def went through a list of killers but he also has a padded record but that was PRIDE in a nutshell.

Jon "GOAT" Jones has a 25 win streak. A DQ and a NC doesn't change the fact he was winning / won both and, as always, in a dominating fashion. You can't change that. Deal with it.
He is on a one fight streak buddeh..

Jon's my favourite fighter to watch for years now but let's be real, at least half the guys he beat in title fights were short-notice injury fill-ins or broken down past-their-prime types or middleweights or all three.

It's also not even remotely true that he did "things to those fighters nobody else had done". A lot of Jon's opponents got far worse beatings than he gave them.

He also didn't look invincible in every fight. Gus put him in hospital and Vitor, a freakin 185er, almost took his arm home.
Doesn’t change fact he has slain some greats in there though.
Greats are not only defined by winning easy they are also defined by winning hard.

It shows the real heart of a champ to win hard fights.
JJ is perhaps the most talented fighter we have seen.

Fedor

GSP

Jones pedhead isn’t at 14. He was caught cheating with performance enhancing drugs in his system that help him fight better than he would without them. Same as anderoid. They are disqualified. And so are you, dozer.

That's some nerd crap.

Just watch THE SPORT and understand it. The best is clear from the performance, not from numbers that can't be compared. Each fight is different.
I did watch the fights. The TS started the thread by comparing 3 stats; streak length, finishes, and title defenses, and said Silva's was better on the sole basis of title defenses. I thought it would be more analytical to compare them on multiple categories.

If you want me to do my personal "eye test" and what I feel is the best, then fine:

1) Fedor
Nearly twice as long as any of the others listed, despite being in a division where most fights are stopped with one punch and where he was often the smaller man. Really, it should end there, but I'll continue. During his streak, he never lost a single round and finished most of his opponent inside of the first frame. He also won every way imagineable, from every position possible, and over came all situations, showing the arsenal of a truely well-round mixed martial artist.

Despite the story that revitionist try to tell, his opposition, during his streak, was not nearly as weak as argued. He beat the who's who of the 2000's HW division including Nogueira x2, Cro Cop, Arlovski, Sylvia, Hunt, Herring, Randleman, Coleman x2, Schilt, Fujita, Sobral, TK, and Goodridge. During the 27 fight win streak, 18(17 HWs) of his opponents were ranked in the top 15 when they fought and the majority of those unranked opponents were BEFORE he was in title contention. Meaning, he faced the best opposition available for the era and, EVEN IF YOU EXCLUDE unranked, "can" victories (which seems hypocritical cause all the others on the list would have longer win streaks had they not lost to unranked opponents like Chonan, Serra, Takase, Hamill, and Azevedo), he would STILL have the longest win streak on the list.

2) Silva
The human highlight reel. His win streak video looks like a fight fans wet dream as he defeated high level fighters with flashy, versatile strikes and come-from-behind submissions. His streak is the third longest of those listed. During his streak, he showed the ability to be dangerous where ever the fight goes, humiliating fighters on the feet and submitting them off his back. He would sometime throw away rounds and lack aggression at times, but could end the fight in the blink of an eye.

During his streak, he defeated top MWs/LHWs of the era including Henderson, Franklin x2, Sonnen x2, Belfort, Forrest, Marquardt, Maia, Okami, Leites, Lutter, and Cote. Argueably, the greatest run in UFC history.

3) GSP
His streak is the shortest on the list, but his level of competition can not be denied. GSP had the tools to neutralize his opponent's offense. Quick, lengthy striking to befuddle grapplers and speedy, strong wrestling to stop strikers in their tracks, GSP had an answer for everything.

Although he lacks finishes, during his streak, he never faced an opponent outside the top 5 and only lost a few rounds. The streak included wins over elite LWs, WWs, and MWs of his era like Hughes, Penn, Bisping, Alves, Shields, Fitch, Hendricks, Condit, Diaz, Serra, Koscheck x2, and Hardy. He also joined the very short list of fighters to win a championship in two divisions, winning the MW title after a 4 year retirement. IMO, he's the greatest MMA fighter ever.

4) Aldo
The second longest win streak listed, he dominated the FW division just when it seemed to be taking off, talentwise. With elite striking and ungodly takedown defense, he was a nightmare to fight.

His win streak lacks the finishes and/or notable competition that those I ranked above him have. But it is still plagued with numerous top level FWs/LWs like Edgar, Mendes x2, Faber, Brown, Florian, Lamas, Gamburyan, Sung Jung, Swanson, and Hominick. IMO, the greatest lower weightclass run in the history of the sport.

5) Jones
Simply put, with his skillset and undeniable physical advantages, Jones is the best fighter I have ever seen. Solely due to his out-of-competition problems and drug testing failures, his win streak is the second shortest listed, though it seems destine to grow.

The majority of his streak came along when the LHW division was in somewhat of a transitional period, with the old guard fading and the top of the heap thinning. Nonetheless, his hit list looked like a destruction of the LHW/MW divisions with wins over Cormier, Rua, Machida, Evans, Jackson, Vitor, Gustafsson x2, Bader, Teixeira, Sonnen, OSP, and Matyushenko.
Better?

You know Fedor's streak was interfered with a NC too. NC's by definition are treated as if they didn't happen they don't break the streak. Jones streak is officially at 15. If you don't count the DQ it's at 18 but I get if you do. The NC treatment for Jones and Fedor is a double standard though, count both or either don't cherry pick.

If you count both Fedor and Jones's NC's, Fedor's streak is only at 16 and it's 16 v 14.
The NCs are being excluded for both.

JONES:
1) Vera
2) Matyushenko
3) Bader
4) Rua
5) Jackson
6) Machida
7) Evans
8) Belfort
9) Sonnen
10) Teixeira
11) Gustafson
12) Cormier
13) OSP
NC) Cormier
14) Gustafson
= 14

FEDOR:
1) Apostolov
2) Schall
3) Sobral
4) Yamagisawa
5) Hasdell
6) Haseman
7) Schilt
8) Herring
9) Nogueira
10) Valavicius
11) Fujita
12) Goodridge
13) Nagata
14) Coleman
15) Randleman
16) Ogawa
NC) Nogueira
17) Nogueira
18) TK
19) Cro Cop
20) Zulu
21) Coleman
22) Hunt
23) Lindland
24) Choi
25) Sylvia
26) Arlovski
27) Rogers
= 27

I did watch the fights. The TS started the thread by comparing 3 stats; streak length, finishes, and title defenses, and said Silva's was better on the sole basis of title defenses. I thought it would be more analytical to compare them on multiple categories.

If you want me to do my personal "eye test" and what I feel is the best, then fine:

1) Fedor
Nearly twice as long as any of the others listed, despite being in a division where most fights are stopped with one punch and where he was often the smaller man. Really, it should end there, but I'll continue. During his streak, he never lost a single round and finished most of his opponent inside of the first frame. He also won every way imagineable, from every position possible, and over came all situations, showing the arsenal of a truely well-round mixed martial artist.

Despite the story that revitionist try to tell, his opposition, during his streak, was not nearly as weak as argued. He beat the who's who of the 2000's HW division including Nogueira x2, Cro Cop, Arlovski, Sylvia, Hunt, Herring, Randleman, Coleman x2, Schilt, Fujita, Sobral, TK, and Goodridge. During the 27 fight win streak, 18(17 HWs) of his opponents were ranked in the top 15 when they fought and the majority of those unranked opponents were BEFORE he was in title contention. Meaning, he faced the best opposition available for the era and, EVEN IF YOU EXCLUDE unranked, "can" victories (which seems hypocritical cause all the others on the list would have longer win streaks had they not lost to unranked opponents like Chonan, Serra, Takase, Hamill, and Azevedo), he would STILL have the longest win streak on the list.

2) Silva
The human highlight reel. His win streak video looks like a fight fans wet dream as he defeated high level fighters with flashy, versatile strikes and come-from-behind submissions. His streak is the third longest of those listed. During his streak, he showed the ability to be dangerous where ever the fight goes, humiliating fighters on the feet and submitting them off his back. He would sometime throw away rounds and lack aggression at times, but could end the fight in the blink of an eye.

During his streak, he defeated top MWs/LHWs of the era including Henderson, Franklin x2, Sonnen x2, Belfort, Forrest, Marquardt, Maia, Okami, Leites, Lutter, and Cote. Argueably, the greatest run in UFC history.

3) GSP
His streak is the shortest on the list, but his level of competition can not be denied. GSP had the tools to neutralize his opponent's offense. Quick, lengthy striking to befuddle grapplers and speedy, strong wrestling to stop strikers in their tracks, GSP had an answer for everything.

Although he lacks finishes, during his streak, he never faced an opponent outside the top 5 and only lost a few rounds. The streak included wins over elite LWs, WWs, and MWs of his era like Hughes, Penn, Bisping, Alves, Shields, Fitch, Hendricks, Condit, Diaz, Serra, Koscheck x2, and Hardy. He also joined the very short list of fighters to win a championship in two divisions, winning the MW title after a 4 year retirement. IMO, he's the greatest MMA fighter ever.

4) Aldo
The second longest win streak listed, he dominated the FW division just when it seemed to be taking off, talentwise. With elite striking and ungodly takedown defense, he was a nightmare to fight.

His win streak lacks the finishes and/or notable competition that those I ranked above him have. But it is still plagued with numerous top level FWs/LWs like Edgar, Mendes x2, Faber, Brown, Florian, Lamas, Gamburyan, Sung Jung, Swanson, and Hominick. IMO, the greatest lower weightclass run in the history of the sport.

5) Jones
Simply put, with his skillset and undeniable physical advantages, Jones is the best fighter I have ever seen. Solely due to his out-of-competition problems and drug testing failures, his win streak is the second shortest listed, though it seems destine to grow.

The majority of his streak came along when the LHW division was in somewhat of a transitional period, with the old guard fading and the top of the heap thinning. Nonetheless, his hit list looked like a destruction of the LHW/MW divisions with wins over Cormier, Rua, Machida, Evans, Jackson, Vitor, Gustafsson x2, Bader, Teixeira, Sonnen, OSP, and Matyushenko.
Better?

No because GSP is the GOAT.

Fedor… When he did it the Pride HW division was stacked with killers, also had a few Freak Show fights but that is entertainment...

Even the Pride HW division is still a HW division, the least skilled and talented division in men's MMA.

GSP is the right answer

fedor gsp and aldo are above silva and jones due to ped issues by default, imo

You can argue them all in any order depending on what you think is most important tbh (finishes, higher weight class etc)

Personally I have GSP and Aldo as #1 or #2 interchangable as both have beaten 3 generations of fighters, beaten some of the best to fight and have been long time champions with a lot of title defences

Back