Range reports: Whatcha do this week?

First time going to an indoor range since moving to VA....had to play with the new AR. Other than it being a bit warmer than I liked it seemed like a decent enough place.

CZ TSO

First mag at 10 yards - 20 rounds
mRUS2fD.jpg

10 yards 20 rounds, mixture of controlled pairs and firing, maybe .4 - .5 splits if I had to guess. Pairs were fired quicker.
F91ad6K.jpg

7 quick controlled pairs at 15 yards
grtyToP.jpg

Mixture of hammers and firing as fast as I could at 15 yards. 21 rounds, I fired another at the bullseye since 1 missed the target.
IZD3C9m.jpg

I don't like indoor ranges. Eye pro always sweat fogs up, lighting is just ok and even doubled up on ear pro it just seems pretty loud. I look forward to cool temps and outdoor shooting again.

Last edited:
6.5 creedmoor and .223 at roughly 650, 750 and 850 yards. 24" and 16" gong at 850, 30x18 silhouette with 7" hostage and chest flap reactive targets at 750, 3 12" gongs at 650.

UHXirHi.jpg

W2rXOa3.jpg

jITv8yb.jpg

lxXRLCI.jpg

rd8UTIH.jpg

3 groups from my AR. 6 shot at 650 and 5 shot at 850. There was almost no wind the first 20 or so minutes we were there. The following couple hours it picked up and was changing speed and direction making trying to do groups difficult. Also the steel had been shot up pretty good after a little bit making it difficult to distinguish groups as well. I was using Hornady black 75gr match for all but my final group. Final group was at the end if the day using 69 gr Australian outback match ammo at 650, wind was steady. For stuff I bought for .50 a round it has performed fantastic for me.

S7UuAKI.jpg

963mkYK.jpg

g4GfPoI.jpg

uUel1Ob.jpg

Last edited:
6.5 creedmoor and .223 at roughly 650, 750 and 850 yards. 24" and 16" gong at 850, 30x18 silhouette with 7" hostage and chest flap reactive targets at 750, 3 12" gongs at 650.

UHXirHi.jpg

W2rXOa3.jpg

jITv8yb.jpg

lxXRLCI.jpg

rd8UTIH.jpg

3 groups from my AR. 6 shot at 650 and 5 shot at 850. There was almost no wind the first 20 or so minutes we were there. The following couple hours it picked up and was changing speed and direction making trying to do groups difficult. Also the steel had been shot up pretty good after a little bit making it difficult to distinguish groups as well. I was using Hornady black 75gr match for all but my final group. Final group was at the end if the day using 69 gr Australian outback match ammo at 650, wind was steady. For stuff I bought for .50 a round it has performed fantastic for me.

S7UuAKI.jpg

963mkYK.jpg

g4GfPoI.jpg

uUel1Ob.jpg
5in group at 850 with a 223 gas gun? Man I want what you got.

5in group at 850 with a 223 gas gun? Man I want what you got.

Yeah I was pretty happy with that. I'm not sure how repeatable that is tbh. It took a few rounds to get on steel then after I found a hold I fired that string of shots in roughly 45 seconds. I know numerous times throughout shooting aside from those groups I was stringing 3-4 shots together in good groups. Then the wind would shift and I'd miss by like 2 mils left. Then 10 seconds later miss 1 mil right lol. So what I'm doing isn't really like a competition group. It's more walk it in, find a hold and get a good group while the wind is consistent.

My buddy with his 6.5 had a 1.8" 4 shot string of shots at 850.

Yeah I was pretty happy with that. I'm not sure how repeatable that is tbh. It took a few rounds to get on steel then after I found a hold I fired that string of shots in roughly 45 seconds. I know numerous times throughout shooting aside from those groups I was stringing 3-4 shots together in good groups. Then the wind would shift and I'd miss by like 2 mils left. Then 10 seconds later miss 1 mil right lol. So what I'm doing isn't really like a competition group. It's more walk it in, find a hold and get a good group while the wind is consistent.

My buddy with his 6.5 had a 1.8" 4 shot string of shots at 850.

I shot 223 for PRS Tac, 75gr elds. A 2mph shift at 700+ moves my round .2 per MPH, I’ve shot a stage hit center, wind shifts, between shots and I’m off an edge.

It’s fun but frustrating.

I shot 223 for PRS Tac, 75gr elds. A 2mph shift at 700+ moves my round .2 per MPH, I’ve shot a stage hit center, wind shifts, between shots and I’m off an edge.

It’s fun but frustrating.

I wasn't using it but the black hills 77 gr tmk has a .42 G1. I use it out to 1000+. It's a very impressive .223 round.

77 tmk
S61ni8G.jpg

.308 m80 ball
T95rUag.jpg

.308 168 gr smk
V8b275o.jpg

I wasn't using it but the black hills 77 gr tmk has a .42 G1. I use it out to 1000+. It's a very impressive .223 round.

77 tmk
S61ni8G.jpg

.308 m80 ball
T95rUag.jpg

.308 168 gr smk
V8b275o.jpg

That’s good stuff and 223 doesn’t kill your funds.

My fault, I meant 77gr mil Ammo (it’s black hills 77gr OTM or mk262) shit dumps at 700 it’s subsonic by 800 (0 DA), still shoots well enough and it’s very cheap for me.

For comps I run the 75gr 0 DA. 75gr I handload with a G1 .443. I have hit out to 1135m, on a 100% IPSC, winds were 3-6 full value.

That 77gr is good because the COAL will work on any gas gun. Whereas the 75gr is a longer bullet if I load to cap, they won’t fit in a stock 556 mag.

I really like shooting a lot with 223 there’s no recoil, it’s cheap and if you can dial in a wind call with 223 than 6BR or whatever 6 laser beam bullet is much easier. For instance my 6BR is a G1 .573, I mean until there’s 6mph of wind past 600, I can basically just hold the edge and send them.

Last edited:
I guess this post is useless without pics, unfortunately it will remain useless in that regard. I joined a local gun club last week and my first actual trip was yesterday. Spent most of the time shooting 25m pistol, off hand as it's my weakest area in pistol shooting. Old Winchester 555s worked decently well in my AA .22 LR Glock conversion, before stepping it up to 147s.

I'll make sure to post targets next time, I'm trying to make this a weekly outing, now that I have access to a club again...and before Trudeau tries, but fails, to ban handguns and "assault rifles".

Put 500 rounds of various 115gr FMJ (both steel and brass) through an M&P 2.0 Compact. Took some getting used to after years of shooting nothing but my Gen 3 Glock 19. Like I said in the other thread, the trigger on the newer M&Ps is MUCH better than the crappy one on the 1.0s.

H71yrHw.jpg

Range - 2020/02/12

- Glock 17 w/ Advantage Arms .22LR conversion,;shooting Winchester 555; 50 rounds
- Glock 17; shooting American Eagle 9mm, 147 gr; 50 rounds
Glock 21; shooting American Eagle .45 Auto, 230 gr; 50 rounds

I tend to pull left on the longer shots, especially as the session stretches out longer.

Range - 2020/02/22

So I did something stupid; ran out of 9mm. So these are with the Glock 21 and 17 with the .22LR conversion. Only kept the targets worth keeping. Flipped the .22LR target midway, so I'm actually shooting high and not a gigantic 12" vertical spread at 25 yards.

Also had an F/O sight installed on my 17.

Range - 2020/03/09

I bought a bulk pack of Remington 9mm, 115g FMJ. Started the day with getting used to the new sights at 7 and 10 yards respectively. Shot a shitty group out to 25 yards, then finished off with some double taps from compressed ready at 7 and 10 yards.

I think going forward, at least for a little while, I'll be shooting at 25 and 10 yards; 30 rounds at 25 and the rest will be double taps from compressed ready at 10.

Range - 2020/03/09

I bought a bulk pack of Remington 9mm, 115g FMJ. Started the day with getting used to the new sights at 7 and 10 yards respectively. Shot a shitty group out to 25 yards, then finished off with some double taps from compressed ready at 7 and 10 yards.

I think going forward, at least for a little while, I'll be shooting at 25 and 10 yards; 30 rounds at 25 and the rest will be double taps from compressed ready at 10.

More to our last conversation.
Have you tried loading dummy rounds in your mags at random points, mixing the mags up then firing groups? It will show you real fast what you are doing wrong on that dummy round.

Have you practiced 1 hand groups? This has also helped me. Slow concentrated fire with one hand. It definitely exposes and accentuates what you're doing wrong. If you can start getting good slow fire groups then speed it up and recovering quickly for acceptable a zone hits your two handed will improve a lot. This is something I forget to practice but it definitely helps.

More to our last conversation.
Have you tried loading dummy rounds in your mags at random points, mixing the mags up then firing groups? It will show you real fast what you are doing wrong on that dummy round.

Have you practiced 1 hand groups? This has also helped me. Slow concentrated fire with one hand. It definitely exposes and accentuates what you're doing wrong. If you can start getting good slow fire groups then speed it up and recovering quickly for acceptable a zone hits your two handed will improve a lot. This is something I forget to practice but it definitely helps.
I can call it, after the shot, when I jerk the trigger; the low shots mostly. As for veering left, the next time around, I'll try more finger on the trigger. I've had the habit of shooting almost near the tip, which is probably why it shoots left.

I've also realized I don't shoot that well cold. The way the album was published, my most recent shots appear first and the start of my range session was at the end of the album.

I can call it, after the shot, when I jerk the trigger; the low shots mostly. As for veering left, the next time around, I'll try more finger on the trigger. I've had the habit of shooting almost near the tip, which is probably why it shoots left.

I've also realized I don't shoot that well cold. The way the album was published, my most recent shots appear first and the start of my range session was at the end of the album.

Another thing that happens to cause movement is your grip can tighten as you break your shot. Basically in anticipation of recoil. You can examine the effect just holding a gun, basically just add more pressure to your hand quickly and watch the sights move. It was a habit I had and many shooters have without realizing it. That is where the one handed helped me. Learning to keep 1 consistent pressure grip throughout the shot.

@RerouteToRemain, how far do you shoot one handed?

I'll be honest, I don't do it often. It'll either be because shooting one handed is part of my final qualifier stage, but at like 5 yards. The only other time I find myself shooting with one hand is when I break out the Single Six, but that's a different animal.

I'll be honest, I don't do it often. It'll either be because shooting one handed is part of my final qualifier stage, but at like 5 yards. The only other time I find myself shooting with one hand is when I break out the Single Six, but that's a different animal.

I'll start close and work my way out. It's something I still need to work on but I'm usually shooting steel. So like 6" gongs at 10, 8" gongs at 15 then we'll have large target at 25. I can hit large targets at 50, not sure how shit the group is but it's definitely not tight at 25 or 50.

Since I got my CZ shadow tso I've been shooting that a lot and focusing a lot more on speed and transitions rather than groups. So I go for "acceptable accuracy" basically hitting the target. If it's a torso I'm basically hoing for A zone but I'm not unhappy with C.

4Xw3Oo8IPtOGl49lN-OBoopFjW3TkXQZqAzdyZccZP5TKaWvY2aoywrTGir2rcP_w4t38NeLij6J1c-_q8mR2wK-vT9VYbiD8qlHFtEkCxM

Another thing that happens to cause movement is your grip can tighten as you break your shot. Basically in anticipation of recoil. You can examine the effect just holding a gun, basically just add more pressure to your hand quickly and watch the sights move. It was a habit I had and many shooters have without realizing it. That is where the one handed helped me. Learning to keep 1 consistent pressure grip throughout the shot.
To this point, for much of my pistol shooting, I adopted a Bob Vogel-style deathgrip; where my elbows would flare out and I would almost visualize trying to press the ridges of my hands inwards.

Lately, I've been experimenting more with the late Ron Avery's "sticky grip"; I'm now trying to press the heels of my palms towards the fingers, if that makes sense.

I'm also knocking the rust off, from 5 years of not having adequate access to a pistol range and incorporating 25 yard pistol shots on a regular basis. Archery has seemingly gone by the wayside, lol.

Back