Range reports: Whatcha do this week?

Yeah it was more so the wind moving my 2'x4' box than the bullet itself. A dust devil threw my box like 20 yards in the middle of my 73gr groups lol.

I also wasn't expecting so much heat mirage on a 77 degree day.
Yeah I knew what you meant, targets blowing in the wind is annoying as hell.

That is crazy at 77 to get so much mirage, in Arizona too, right?

The worst days shooting in NC are days that it rains in the morning, or is pinging at 100% humidity before noon, then the sun just bakes the Earth. It's pretty much impossible to spot trace. Anytime I mil targets in those conditions it always turns into a bit of a shit show.

Yeah I knew what you meant, targets blowing in the wind is annoying as hell.

That is crazy at 77 to get so much mirage, in Arizona too, right?

The worst days shooting in NC are days that it rains in the morning, or is pinging at 100% humidity before noon, then the sun just bakes the Earth. It's pretty much impossible to spot trace. Anytime I mil targets in those conditions it always turns into a bit of a shit show.

Yeah, also using a grid patterned paper target probably doesn't help in even mild mirage. On steel or something else I probably wouldn't have noticed it as much.

Just did my 1911 qual at work.

Probably gonna send my gun back into Springfield to be deburred and polished up. Had several issues, Failure to Feed, Failure to extract, stovepipe. Also shoots to the left for me and several other shooters.

There's a hangup you can feel when cycling the slide. Like a quarter inch before it locks up into battery.

Apparently some of our guys have been having to send their Range Officers (model I got) back to Springfield to be tuned.

Probably gonna send my gun back into Springfield to be deburred and polished up. Had several issues, Failure to Feed, Failure to extract, stovepipe. Also shoots to the left for me and several other shooters.

giphy.webp

There's a hangup you can feel when cycling the slide. Like a quarter inch before it locks up into battery.

Apparently some of our guys have been having to send their Range Officers (model I got) back to Springfield to be tuned.

That sucks. This day and age, with the manufacturing equipment at hand, the shit should at least work.

I'm digging mine now:

17 yards (10-ring is 2 inches)

One day I'll get more acquainted with it, I keep gravitating back to the old gun, (it just feels like me!)

Sent my Range Officer off to Springfield, should have it back in 2 weeks or so.

I bought 2 different front sights for my standard vp9, beat one of them in and tested it. Now it shoots where I aim, (for a change).
h-k-vp9-bb-pistol-6.gif

Here's hoping its a legit 2 weeks and not the ol gunsmith "2 weeks" which could mean 12 to 18 weeks!
Already got it back from Springfield. They refitted the slide, polished up some stuff, reworked the extractor and adjusted the sights.

Hoping to shoot it in the next week or two to see how it is now.

Right on!

Keep us posted yo!

I could've range tested a new trigger on the vp9 I got but for some stinking little spring that leaped into the next dimension, never to return.

Another week wait for the replacement.

<HisEye>

I'm taking @HomeCheese out for some shooting tomorrow. Keeping it to 9mm (pistols and the Kriss Vector), .22lr (AR15), and 5.56 (belt-fed AR and another AR in .223 Wylde). Oh, and I found some loose 5.7 rounds appear to be corroding so we're taking the Five-seveN along.

Pistols:
  • CZ SP-01
  • CZ P10C
  • Sphinx SDP Compact
  • Beretta M9
  • FN Five-seveN
Mainly we'll be hitting steel with the long guns and punch some paper with the pistols. With the .223 Wylde AR we'll shoot for groups. But probably only out to 100 yards.

I'm taking @HomeCheese out for some shooting tomorrow. Keeping it to 9mm (pistols and the Kriss Vector), .22lr (AR15), and 5.56 (belt-fed AR and another AR in .223 Wylde). Oh, and I found some loose 5.7 rounds appear to be corroding so we're taking the Five-seveN along.

Pistols:
  • CZ SP-01
  • CZ P10C
  • Sphinx SDP Compact
  • Beretta M9
  • FN Five-seveN
Mainly we'll be hitting steel with the long guns and punch some paper with the pistols. With the .223 Wylde AR we'll shoot for groups. But probably only out to 100 yards.

So how was it?

Already got it back from Springfield. They refitted the slide, polished up some stuff, reworked the extractor and adjusted the sights.

Hoping to shoot it in the next week or two to see how it is now.

Shot it yet?

So how was it?

Good time! A little drizzly though. @HomeCheese had fun, but he's still a gungrabber. :D

The belt-fed performed better. Started good then got worse. Had another buffer spring to try but said fuck it and just switched to Magpul drums (and not a hiccup). The tripod fucking rules. And so does the brass & link catcher. Just gotta get the belt action running smoothly and this puppy is perfect. Or close enough.

I was shooting low and right a little with the pistols.

The Kriss w/MRO continues to be bad ass.

Good time! A little drizzly though. @HomeCheese had fun, but he's still a gungrabber. :D

The belt-fed performed better. Started good then got worse. Had another buffer spring to try but said fuck it and just switched to Magpul drums (and not a hiccup). The tripod fucking rules. And so does the brass & link catcher. Just gotta get the belt action running smoothly and this puppy is perfect. Or close enough.

I was shooting low and right a little with the pistols.

The Kriss w/MRO continues to be bad ass.

It was fun as heck and, like always, Cudo was a generous and gracious host. By the way, I can't hit the broad side of a barn with a pistol.

Thanks for the good time my brother!

It was fun as heck and, like always, Cudo was a generous and gracious host. By the way, I can't hit the broad side of a barn with a pistol.

Thanks for the good time my brother!

You're welcome. Thanks for coming along.

For the record, you shot the pistols pretty well for a first-timer.

Went to an indoor range for the first time in probably 5 years. I'm really not a fan, it's just so damn loud. I had my ears doubled up and it was still a bit ridiculous.

Brought out the M&P performance center, shield performance center and the Maxim 9. Shot about 400 rounds of 9mm. Hadn't gone shooting in a while. I was a bit rusty but not bad. As long as I took my time A zone and head shots weren't a problem at 10-20. I could have done a bit better at 25 but the lighting wasn't great and polarized sunglasses that were sweat condensationing up I'm sure weren't helping. But again mostly A zone and head shots. Controlled pairs at every range could have been better. Needed to slow down.

The Maxim, it's cool for sure. Damn does that trigger suck. I'll add the mws spring kit to it later but wanted to shoot it stock internals first. Put 4 mags of 115 supers through it while dialing in the delta point. It was difficult to gauge sound being in a cement chamber but with 158gr subs it seemed pretty quite. I did get like 5-6 light primer strikes which is annoying. Finished off with a subs mag dump. Sounded cool, very controllable. It gets very hot pretty quickly.

Did a 17 round group at 10 yards with the M&P 9 to finish up.

6BLb83M.jpg

Could have probably done a bit better but it's not too bad. Probably around 2" group.

Even though I don't like indoor ranges I'll probably go back soon. I don't really like shooting outdoors this time of year either lol

Haven’t gone shooting in like 10 months sadly.

Was able to hit the target at 50 yards with my Glock and AR within three trigger pulls on both.

Back