Range reports: Whatcha do this week?

Yesterday went something like this.

Took the CZ 452 bolt-action .22lr out for the first time. Sighted in the 3-9x scope. Was putting sots consistently in a 1" circle at 50 yards. Then just rang some steel out at 100 yards. 100 rounds total.

Next (@RerouteToRemain) was the PWS 7.62x39 AR15 upper. Put an ACOG on it and used 5/10/28/30 round CPD mags. 120 rounds of Red Army ammo later, not a single issue. This included putting together a few high-speed strings. Took like 5-10 shots to sight it in then you couldn't miss at 100 yards.

Took out the Nordic .22lr AR15 upper. Had it before and it worked great. This time not so much. Lots of failures to eject. Wondering if it's an issue with the ammo (American Eagle 40gr. HV). Maybe I was using the Winchester Super X previously. 150 rounds of disappointment.

Then out came my 1st AR15 build (Pretty Penny). 180 rounds later I wonder if she just doesn't like the cheap-ass ATI 62gr. ammo. Couldn't get a decent group. Looked like something I'd have been happy with had I been shooting irons. With a scope I need to do better. Wish I had some 77gr. ammo to try.

Only too two handguns instead of the usual five or so. The Colt 1911 9mm functioned flawlessly over 40 rounds. Nice to shoot. Accuracy for me was so-so.

The CZ P10-C saw its first action. 60 rounds of no problems. Far more accurate in my hands than the Colt. In fact, I put a few mags through it shooting at the 100 yard gong. Probably about a 25% hit rate. In on mag with the Colt I got zero hits. Much better results at the 10 yard bullseye target too.

Last was the Kriss 9mm carbine. This thing rules. Couldn't miss at 100 yards with the Trijicon MRO attached. Only had about 50 rounds in me at that point so we packed everything up.

Merry Christmas to me. :)

Sounds like a good day.

I might need to get a pws x39 upper. I know pws is quality, good to hear it functions well.

Sounds like a good day.

I might need to get a pws x39 upper. I know pws is quality, good to hear it functions well.

It was. Very draining with the two hour drive each way.

I totally recommend their upper. Thing ran like a champ!! I'm told those CPD mags are the only reliable ones. Put it on a lower with the Franklin Armory BFSII for extra fun. Something tells me the VZ-58 will never see range time again.

It was. Very draining with the two hour drive each way.

I totally recommend their upper. Thing ran like a champ!! I'm told those CPD mags are the only reliable ones. Put it on a lower with the Franklin Armory BFSII for extra fun. Something tells me the VZ-58 will never see range time again.

That's a rough drive. Mine is about 50-60 minutes and after some 4-5 hour range trips the drive home absolutely blows.

You have the echo and BFS?

Took the boy to the range and his first time shooting a 9mm. It was fairly quiet except for the guy next to us with 2 expensive looking 45s that couldnt hit a fucking barn door lol.

1KPlZRi.jpg

Tree at 10 yards, 6" plates at like 12.5, 8" plates at 15ish, silhouette w/ gong & spinner at 25ish, silhouette with chest & hostage flap at 50, 12" gongs at 100, other silhouette with chest and hostage flap at 135ish.

Around 500 rounds of 9mm and 500 of .223.

Took the boy to the range and his first time shooting a 9mm. It was fairly quiet except for the guy next to us with 2 expensive looking 45s that couldnt hit a fucking barn door lol.

Hey question for you, How'd you ease your kid into using weapons? How'd you store them until they were ready to understand the seriousness of firearms and permanency of death etc.?

1KPlZRi.jpg

Tree at 10 yards, 6" plates at like 12.5, 8" plates at 15ish, silhouette w/ gong & spinner at 25ish, silhouette with chest & hostage flap at 50, 12" gongs at 100, other silhouette with chest and hostage flap at 135ish.

Around 500 rounds of 9mm and 500 of .223.

I had NO idea how expensive a work out like that costs until I was a civilian. (Never even touched a gun before I joined).

Hey question for you, How'd you ease your kid into using weapons? How'd you store them until they were ready to understand the seriousness of firearms and permanency of death etc.?

For storage I simply removed and hid the bolt carrier group (I believe you guys call it a receiver?). His rifle just sits in a cupboard as an expensive paper weight in the mean time.

I spent about 2 hours a week for a few weeks in the living room before taking him to a range to fire himself. Here's a rough order I taught him:

1. Parts of a rifle
2.Types of ammo/uses
3. How a rifle/ammunition function- helps using youtube videos
4. How to pick up and set down a rifle/pistol (like 100 times until he learned muzzle control...he did alot of pushups put it that way lol)
5. How to make a weapon safe (bolt action/semi auto/pistol)
6. Basic marksmanship principles
7. Sequences of the shot
8. Firing positions
9. Movement with the weapon rifle/pistol (and this is about where he is up to now)

It helps if you give your kid the 'light at the end of the tunnel' I find- if he knows you'll taking him shooting, hunting etc then he won't mind doing 1000 pushups for safety fuck ups lol.

For storage I simply removed and hid the bolt carrier group (I believe you guys call it a receiver?). His rifle just sits in a cupboard as an expensive paper weight in the mean time.

I spent about 2 hours a week for a few weeks in the living room before taking him to a range to fire himself. Here's a rough order I taught him:

1. Parts of a rifle
2.Types of ammo/uses
3. How a rifle/ammunition function- helps using youtube videos
4. How to pick up and set down a rifle/pistol (like 100 times until he learned muzzle control...he did alot of pushups put it that way lol)
5. How to make a weapon safe (bolt action/semi auto/pistol)
6. Basic marksmanship principles
7. Sequences of the shot
8. Firing positions
9. Movement with the weapon rifle/pistol (and this is about where he is up to now)

It helps if you give your kid the 'light at the end of the tunnel' I find- if he knows you'll taking him shooting, hunting etc then he won't mind doing 1000 pushups for safety fuck ups lol.

Awesome post. Thanks for that. Might be too personal, but did you keep an operational weapon in the house for an imminent defensive situation (i.e. with the BCG still in, and maybe a mag in as well)? If so how'd you store that until he was of age?

Awesome post. Thanks for that. Might be too personal, but did you keep an operational weapon in the house for an imminent defensive situation (i.e. with the BCG still in, and maybe a mag in as well)? If so how'd you store that until he was of age?

No worries! His rifle is a .22 which has the bolt out and hidden and therefore inoperable.

For my personal weapons, they are loaded and in the open but no round in the chamber. He cannot chamber a round with any of them, but if I ever had the impression he'd try then I'd have to lock things away etc.

He has always been mature, in contrast with my daughter who keeps telling everyone we are going to hunt animals and eat them lol (she is only 4). It's HER I need to worry about lol...just comes down to personality I guess. He is calm and mellow and she is loud and boisterous. Having said that, I won't have a shotgun or revolver in the home because I don't trust my daughter one bit.

No worries! His rifle is a .22 which has the bolt out and hidden and therefore inoperable.

For my personal weapons, they are loaded and in the open but no round in the chamber. He cannot chamber a round with any of them, but if I ever had the impression he'd try then I'd have to lock things away etc.

He has always been mature, in contrast with my daughter who keeps telling everyone we are going to hunt animals and eat them lol (she is only 4). It's HER I need to worry about lol...just comes down to personality I guess. He is calm and mellow and she is loud and boisterous. Having said that, I won't have a shotgun or revolver in the home because I don't trust my daughter one bit.

Makes sense. 'ppreciate it. I actually proposed something similar to someone that was concerned with kids. I just didn't see how a 4 YO would (or know to) rack a slide on a 9mm.

Makes sense. 'ppreciate it. I actually proposed something similar to someone that was concerned with kids. I just didn't see how a 4 YO would (or know to) rack a slide on a 9mm.

the reason i know my 9 year old cant is because i had tried teaching him how to chamber a round in my pistol and cz scorpion for about 30 minutes without success. I see it as a negative with him that he can't because... I'd trust him with a pistol to at least try defend himself with it if for some reason I wasnt able to...i also trust him not to fuck around with it, Let's see how the teenage years go though haha. I dont suppose you have your kids doing archery?

Tried some groups. Beginning went well. Then the heat and wind started messing my day up. Tested 4 rounds and started a 5th but wind was moving my cardboard box too much.

2 of the rounds didn't perform well for me. Aus outback 55gr blitzkings. 1-1.5 moa. The second is Eagle Eye 69gr smk, I'm not sure what is up with this. It's expensive and comes with a .5 moa guarantee. It is underpowered, it was not cycling well. Short stroking ftf. Only ammo I've used that does that at the current gas setting. I could have adjusted my gas block but it was like 1-1.5 moa after 2 groups and I really didn't want to change the gas for 1 round.

The 1st round I tested did well. Australian Outback 69gr smk.

nocJN50.jpg

Mw1faJQ.jpg

7X04FmG.jpg

"Flyer" on this one, probably me or the wind moving my cardboard box. .54 moa 4 shot.
WqykYPP.jpg

2nd is FGMM 73gr Berger started out well but wind and heat was starting to ruin my day. Best group of the day with this.

5V0LcHg.jpg

VpJB5AD.jpg

2O2rGF3.jpg

ZeZbgop.jpg

I plan on trying the 73 Berger again. I have FGMM 69 and 77 I plan on trying as well. I also have a Hornady 73gr. BH 77gr tmk & I want to buy/try BH 69 gr tmk as well.

Last edited:
Tried some groups. Beginning went well. Then the heat and wind started messing my day up. Tested 4 rounds and started a 5th but wind was moving my cardboard box too much.

2 of the rounds didn't perform well for me. Aus outback 55gr blitzkings. 1-1.5 moa. The second is Eagle Eye 69gr smk, I'm not sure what is up with this. It's expensive and comes with a .5 moa guarantee. It is underpowered, it was not cycling well. Short stroking ftf. Only ammo I've used that does that at the current gas setting. I could have adjusted my gas block but it was like 1-1.5 moa after 2 groups and I really didn't want to change the gas for 1 round.

nocJN50.jpg

Mw1faJQ.jpg

7X04FmG.jpg

"Flyer" on this one, probably me or the wind moving my cardboard box. .54 moa 4 shot.
WqykYPP.jpg

2nd is FGMM 73gr Berger started out well but wind and heat was starting to ruin my day. Best group of the day with this.

5V0LcHg.jpg

VpJB5AD.jpg

2O2rGF3.jpg

ZeZbgop.jpg

I plan on trying the 73 Berger again. I have FGMM 69 and 77 I plan on trying as well. I also have a Hornady 73gr. BH 77gr tmk & I want to buy/try BH 69 gr tmk as well.

What rifle, scope combo?

You may have heard California shooters went into a frenzy as we were able to buy standard capacity magazines for about a week. It was fun to shoot a local match with my CZ P09 filled with all 19 rounds as it was intended to.

nocJN50.jpg

Mw1faJQ.jpg

7X04FmG.jpg

WqykYPP.jpg

5V0LcHg.jpg

VpJB5AD.jpg

2O2rGF3.jpg

ZeZbgop.jpg

Sub half moa on the 73g, nice.

I've had some great performance out of those mid - high 70gr stuff. Be interesting to see how Hornady and that 77gr does.

Days so windy that shooting at 100 is difficult are the worst...

Sub half moa on the 73g, nice.

I've had some great performance out of those mid - high 70gr stuff. Be interesting to see how Hornady and that 77gr does.

Days so windy that shooting at 100 is difficult are the worst...

Yeah it was more so the wind moving my 2'x4' box than the bullet itself. A dust devil threw my box like 20 yards in the middle of my 73gr groups lol.

I also wasn't expecting so much heat mirage on a 77 degree day.

Back