Randy Couture was so afraid

He immediately shot for a takedown. He should let Toney stand at least 2 minutes. What would been even better, if UFC made first round boxing rules, and 2nd round mma rules
guess that could have happened if they squared off on bully beatdown instead of a sanctioned mma fight

You guys make me want to get the ps3 out and play MW2. The mods can edit the title to MW2.

guess that could have happened if they squared off on bully beatdown instead of a sanctioned mma fight

Or one of those Shidokan bouts that are two rounds of bare-knuckles karate, then two rounds of muay thai, then two rounds of MMA

Did you hear we landed on the moon?

'Cause that happened too.

It did though. It left no doubt in anyone's mind. It forever stopped any boxer from thinking they had any sort of chance. Whereas mma fighters still are interested in crossing over. Like Conor.

Conor isn't interested in "crossing over." He's interested in making a boatload of $$. He has as much business being in a ring with Floyd as Toney had being in a cage with Couture.

Tim Sylvia had just competed for the UFC title, then fought the GOAT--- then got starched by a wahed-up, gatekeeper at best boxer.

Conor isn't interested in "crossing over." He's interested in making a boatload of $$. He has as much business being in a ring with Floyd as Toney had being in a cage with Couture.

Tim Sylvia had just competed for the UFC title, then fought the GOAT--- then got starched by a wahed-up, gatekeeper at best boxer.

Mercer was past his prime, but I'd say it's unfair to call a one-time heavyweight titleholder a gatekeeper. He was good. That's why he starched Tim so easily so late in his career.

Mercer was past his prime, but I'd say it's unfair to call a one-time heavyweight titleholder a gatekeeper. He was good. That's why he starched Tim so easily so late in his career.

Meh, he held the WBO title. The WBO has gained some legitimacy since, but was absolutely NOT regarded highly at all back then. Tommy Morrison was WBO champ.

Mercer did give prime Lewis and Holyfield all they could handle though.

Couture's a smart guy. He knew better than to stand and trade for even two seconds against one of the best boxers alive.

Toney was long past his prime, but he probably still could have flattened Randy with one solid punch. The man had power and standing for 2 minutes with him would have been risky and stupid.

Meh, he held the WBO title. The WBO has gained some legitimacy since, but was absolutely NOT regarded highly at all back then. Tommy Morrison was WBO champ.

Mercer did give prime Lewis and Holyfield all they could handle though.

I guess I think of gatekeepers as guys who never win a title, not even a 90's era WBO one. And like you said, he really took it to Lewis and Holyfield (and damn near murdered Tommy Morrison in the ring). But I'll admit that Mercer ran hot and cold throughout his career

Back