Randy Couture FolkStyle wrestler.

JustOnce

On Hiatus
Double Yellow Card
Reaction score
Not a big fan of Randy by any means, but I think it's interesting that Randy did better in folkstyle than

Chad Mendes
Frankie Edgar
Gray Maynard
Chris Weidman
Jon Jones
Rashad Evans
Ryan Bader
Daniel Cormier
Cain Velasquez

he's known as a greco guy only.

Kinda like Fedor is known mostly as a Sambo guy when he's probably as good as if not better in Judo than

Karo
Soj
DHK
Lombard
Rousey
Rick Hawn

but probably a notch below Akiyama, Yoshida, original Dong, Nastewla, and etc. And I say this because these Judo guys would be, if it were wrestling, a notch above someone like Cormier as well.

Last edited:
Folkstyle has so many more ways to score points safely than Greco and Freestyle.

As well as having the ability to stall without losing points.

Yeah he's a certified badass, jeez I can imagine him beating people up in the old folks home.

Not a big fan of Randy by any means, but I think it's interesting that Randy did better in folkstyle than

Chad Mendes
Frankie Edgar
Gray Maynard
Chris Weidman
Jon Jones
Rashad Evans
Ryan Bader
Daniel Cormier
Cain Velasquez

he's known as a greco guy only.

Kinda like Fedor is known mostly as a Sambo guy when he's probably as good as if not better in Judo than

Karo
Soj
DHK
Lombard
Rousey
Rick Hawn

but probably a notch below Akiyama, Yoshida, original Dong, Nastewla, and etc. And I say this because these Judo guys would be, if it were wrestling, a notch above someone like Cormier as well.

To be fair, as a 2-time D1 runner up, Randy was better than the huge majority of UFC former U.S. college wrestlers at folkstyle. Of course almost all U.S. wrestlers that go on to int'l freestyle or Greco careers come up as folkstyle guys.

Even though wrestling /= MMA wrestling, in Randy's case his folkstyle roots are evident in his grinding style. It's like he was still running up his riding time lol.

I'd agree on Fedor being a badass Judoka but to me, Sambo seems like 90% the same sport anyway, certainly closer to Judo rules than Greco is to folkstyle.

I'd put Lombard and Ronda above Fedor in Judo skills though, only because they represented Judo at the Olympics and Sambo is a much smaller and thinner sport.

Last edited:
Folkstyle has so many more ways to score points safely than Greco and Freestyle.

As well as having the ability to stall without losing points.

Favors maintaining control on the ground aka "grinding" a lot more than freestyle or Greco. Come to think of it, are there any MMA grinders that came from freestyle or Greco but DIDN'T have a folkstyle base? All the elite non-U.S. wrestlers that started with only greco or freestyle seem to have a much more explosive style. Guys like Romero.

Dana will get upset if he sees this in the ufc forum

Favors maintaining control on the ground aka "grinding" a lot more than freestyle or Greco. Come to think of it, are there any MMA grinders that came from freestyle or Greco but DIDN'T have a folkstyle base? All the elite non-U.S. wrestlers that started with only greco or freestyle seem to have a much more explosive style. Guys like Romero.

Well, every single wrestler from the US has pretty extensive folkstyle experience.

Regardless of what type of wrestling you have in your arsenol, you gotta know your subs: http://mmablaster.blogspot.com/2015/08/frank-shamrock-v-dan-henderson.html

To be fair, as a 2-time D1 runner up, Randy was better than the huge majority of UFC former U.S. college wrestlers at folkstyle. Of course almost all U.S. wrestlers that go on to int'l freestyle or Greco careers come up as folkstyle guys.

Even though wrestling /= MMA wrestling, in Randy's case his folkstyle roots seem evident in his grinding style. It's like he was still running up his riding time lol.

I'd agree on Fedor being a badass Judoka but to me, Sambo seems like 90% the same sport anyway, certainly closer to Judo rules than Greco is to folkstyle.

I'd put Lombard and Ronda above Fedor in Judo skills though, only because they represented Judo at the Olympics and Sambo is a much smaller and thinner sport.

I disagree. Now I could be wrong, but when I looked it up, in two tournaments Fedor competed in, not sure if both or either were Russian nationals, the winner was the Russian guy, two different times, one won Silver and the other won bronze in Olympics. Fedor apparently was the third in Russia at heavyweight, which in my opinion is better than being number one in Cuba at his weight class and much better than being number 3 in the world in WOMENs Judo.

Folksstyle is the best form of wrestling. The physical fitness level of D1 wrestlers is second to none in terms of cardio, strength, endurance and mental fortitude. Also, folk style is best suited for MMA because of it's focus on the shot. Even though Judo, Greco, and freestyle might be better at the classic takedown/trip/throw, Folksstyle's single and double shots can be utilized from a distance and is obviously the best transitional grappling maneuver. Folksstyle also works synergistically with BJJ, far surpassing any other wrestling in this respect. Imagine if Brock Lesnar had a BJJ black belt along with his oppressive top game.

Disclaimer: I am American and could be biased.

Folkstyle has a much greater emphasis on the ground game than freestyle by a mile. Rarely does a guy or girl come over from freestyle with killer ground control its just not as valuable a skill in international competition.

Folksstyle is the best form of wrestling. The physical fitness level of D1 wrestlers is second to none in terms of cardio, strength, endurance and mental fortitude. Also, folk style is best suited for MMA because of it's focus on the shot. Even though Judo, Greco, and freestyle might be better at the classic takedown/trip/throw, Folksstyle's single and double shots can be utilized from a distance and is obviously the best transitional grappling maneuver. Folksstyle also works synergistically with BJJ, far surpassing any other wrestling in this respect. Imagine if Brock Lesnar had a BJJ black belt along with his oppressive top game.

You are American and may not know that mental fortitude is not, strictly speaking, a part of physical fitness.

And yes, i am american, and yes, i am using this oversight to claim no responsibility for having read and digested everything else you posted.

That being said, good point, succinctly made.

I disagree. Now I could be wrong, but when I looked it up, in two tournaments Fedor competed in, not sure if both or either were Russian nationals, the winner was the Russian guy, two different times, one won Silver and the other won bronze in Olympics. Fedor apparently was the third in Russia at heavyweight, which in my opinion is better than being number one in Cuba at his weight class and much better than being number 3 in the world in WOMENs Judo.

Didn't know that. It's second order MMA Math (Judo math?), but if Fedor placed 3rd in a Russian Judo Olympic qualifier, I can see your point.

Cuba is not a scrub when it comes to Judo though. They've won multiple Olympic Judo medals in every Olympics since 1992.

This reads like it's straight out of "Lessons in Wrestling and Physical Culture" by Farmer Burns, lol.

Not sure about "best," but re. relevance to MMA and physical conditioning aspect of D1 wrestlers, I don't think that's even debatable. Folkstyle training and competition is fuckin' brutal.

Has always amazed me how the U.S. has done so well in the international styles when rules are so different from folkstyle.

After college wrestling, you basically have to throw out your entire ground game plan, learn how to do gutwrenches and/or ankle laces that you've never trained before, learn to waste more energy making your throws more high elevation, which isn't rewarded in folkstyle. Oh, and that whole concept of riding time? That doesn't matter any more.

It's like playing only rugby for 20 years, then getting drafted by the Patriots in NFL and winning the Superbowl.

It's like playing only rugby for 20 years, then getting drafted by the Patriots in NFL and winning the Superbowl.

Has something similar to this ever happened? I'd imagine it's plausible, but then again I don't know a whole lot about rugby or handegg.

Has something similar to this ever happened? I'd imagine it's plausible, but then again I don't know a whole lot about rugby or handegg.

Not to my knowledge, but having played one semester each of Rugby and American football and sucking equally at both, I think they're about as dissimilar as folkstyle wrestling is to freestyle and Greco, all 3 styles of which I have competed and done only slightly better in.

Back