Random question, does anyone know why Eliot Marshall was cut the first time?

Singlelegsweep

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
I've had some free time lately so im marathoning some of the TUF seasons I missed. found it interesting that multiple fighters who lost the first fight to get into the house ended up in the UFC.

Anyhow, Eliot Marshal ended up going to the house after a loss since another fighter who won broke his hand, Dana and Mir seemed to exaggerate his fight as a robbery even tho the sudden death round was about dead even.

TLDR, he ended up winning his first 3 fights in the UFC, one of them with a RNC in the first 2 minutes, including Jason Brilz who was 2-0 in the UFC before the fight and Vinny Magalh

I've had some free time lately so im marathoning some of the TUF seasons I missed. found it interesting that multiple fighters who lost the first fight to get into the house ended up in the UFC.

Anyhow, Eliot Marshal ended up going to the house after a loss since another fighter who won broke his hand, Dana and Mir seemed to exaggerate his fight as a robbery even tho the sudden death round was about dead even.

TLDR, he ended up winning his first 3 fights in the UFC, one of them with a RNC in the first 2 minutes, including Jason Brilz who was 2-0 in the UFC before the fight and Vinny Magalh

1) The roster/income was smaller then, some guys were released quicker than they would be nowadays.

2) His fights were boring at that point, he was considered someone they didn't need to give a second chance.

Eliot is a former mentor of mine and a nice guy. His fighting style wasn't exciting consistently. I think if you look at the Vera fight (he should have had a 10/8 for the last round and a draw) you'll see the first two rounds why he was cut. The third round, he showed his potential. If he had fought like that more consistently, he'd have stuck around awhile longer.

If he'd have taken Vera's arm off in the first, he might even have won the fight. Maybe. He might have had to beat him with it a little to get the judges decision after 3.

I'm guessing he beat them in grappling, but that doesn't have much bearing in MMA.

Sorta, I said a world class grappler with wins over yadda yadda, thought that kind of implied I meant grappling.

Anyway, even if it doesn't mean much in MMA, at the undercard level I think its more notable to beat people who are literally the top 1% of submission wrestlers in the world - compared to beating some random debut fighter coming to the UFC from "Iowa extreme trailer fights 14"

Sorta, I said a world class grappler with wins over yadda yadda, thought that kind of implied I meant grappling.

Anyway, even if it doesn't mean much in MMA, at the undercard level I think its more notable to beat people who are literally the top 1% of submission wrestlers in the world - compared to beating some random debut fighter coming to the UFC from "Iowa extreme trailer fights 14"
I understand. Didn't mean to come off as a snarky dick.

Back