Rampages side mount escape.

Green Whale

Green Belt
Reaction score
How many of you are able to use that side mount escape that Rampage used. Yokoi (who had very impressive ground game, omplata sweep was sick!) had side mount on Rampage, and Rampage just does a powerful sit up and ends up on top of side mount. That's serious ab power man!

www.greenwhaleproductions.com

Me and my friend watched the PRIDE at his house and we both was like whoa, "Awesome move." It was an all power move but he got out of it. He thenused his hammer strikes and soccer kicks and it was over.

rampages grappling isnt that great, but amazingly hes just so explosive he gets out all the bad positions. hes really an anamoly IMO

when i grappled with rampage in las vegas the bastard bit clean through my right ring finger to escape side mount.

and yes, he escaped (to feet).

That was the straight up Bob Sapp "Get the hell off me" escape. Works for stronger guys, Bob Sapp patented it fighting Nogueira. It works from mount too.

If Im thinking of it right, that sounds like a technique Bas taught in his BIg DVDs of Combat

Fight_Song said:
when i grappled with rampage in las vegas the bastard bit clean through my right ring finger to escape side mount.

and yes, he escaped (to feet).

Thugjitsu

I've done it against a BIG guy, and I'm not a big guy myself. It isn't all muscles in that move.
It's not a BJJ highly techniqual kind of move, but you have to do it at the right moment for it to work.
If the guy has a good sidemount on you, you'll never get it to work. No matter how strong you are.
But if his body is angled abit, like Yokoi was, and his balance is a little off, you can do it "easily".
You just have to be explosive and "fight" through the move.

It's all in the positioning. Yokoi wasn't "heavy" on Rampages shoulders, and he didn't have an "outrigger" in that position. Rampage sat up, hipped out, and he's on top.

I used to do it a lot in Judo, and I managed somethign similar in BJJ, but wound up in a bad position as the guy shifted beneath me, and nearly took my back.

You can set it up with the upa, as a lot of guys will mover further down yoru body after a couple bumps. Then you just go the other way.

stephensharp said:
It's all in the positioning. Yokoi wasn't "heavy" on Rampages shoulders, and he didn't have an "outrigger" in that position. Rampage sat up, hipped out, and he's on top.

I used to do it a lot in Judo, and I managed somethign similar in BJJ, but wound up in a bad position as the guy shifted beneath me, and nearly took my back.

You can set it up with the upa, as a lot of guys will mover further down yoru body after a couple bumps. Then you just go the other way.

Nice. I'll try it tonight.

So just bump up a few times until they go down near the waist and legs then sit up?

I've done it many times. Yokoi had his weight positioned wrong on Rampage's body, and left the opening for Rampage to escape.

If a person my size can do it, anyone can. Its all positioning.

Its not just power hte way Yokoi had his side control was shitty

I didn't see the fight, but from what you guys say it is one we drill in judo. If the guys has a good mount, based out and with wieght on you, you aren't going to get it, but if not, you can sit up pretty easily. I have gotten it a few times rolling in judo and I am small (though against guys about my size).

jjmuaythaiguy said:
Nice. I'll try it tonight.

So just bump up a few times until they go down near the waist and legs then sit up?

If you bump a guy, his reflex is to get lower on your body to keep you from tossing him off over your head. In Judo, it's used as an escape from both the side mount and the scarf hold.

It's kind of like with the mount... You get up high, and put your knees in the guy's armpits. If he starts to squirm out and get the elbows in, you have to move down and get the grapevines. If you want to go for something, you have to start moving up again. If I'm under you, I bait you back and forth, and try to catch you in the middle with the upa, or do knee to elbow as you move down.

Side mount, you bump from beneath to try to get him off. If you buck a couple times, the logical thing to do is get lower and pin down your hips, that way if you want to keep bucking, you just burn yourself out. However, if you catch me as I'm moving, or I don't stay tight with good base (the "outrigger" I reffered to is having my legs set to keep me from being perfectly perpendicular... You gotta keep at least three points, which Yokoi lost in there), you sit up, and I roll like a log.

The hip out/hip switch I mentioned is just to keep from getting your near leg stuck under the guy. If you wait, you might have to tug it out, and you'll leave too much space, allowing for the guy to sweep you now or escape to his feet. If I remember correctly, Quinton did it perfectly, swinging his near leg out as Yokoi's back was about to touch it, so he stayed chest on chest through the move, then he immediately spread his base to pin him to the mat.

That's good Wrestling/Judo, and should be BJJ (though some guys overlook it, leaving space to work for subs).

Yokoi had very bad side mount and i think the omoplata sweep was cooler then rampages sweep.

sweet omoplata sweep, but i started to get worried after yokoi tried the first knee in sidemount and got his balance all kinds of fucked. you have to be a little more arona-ish and hold rampage down tighter...he's one explosive motherfucker with really good instincts.

Back