Rambaa Somdet - most successful thai mma fighter?

Discussion in 'Worldwide MMA Discussion' started by EatMyShorts, Aug 16, 2018.

1. EatMyShorts

EatMyShorts Purple Belt

I say that mainly cause - there haven't been many (any), successful thai mma fighters.

This dude went 13 and 3 - certainly not bad - some subs on his record also.

Last fight was in 2015 so - I assume he's retired.

Kickboxing highlight cause - the music to his mma highlight was less groovey.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
    gono btw and AimedWithV like this.
  2. Gratis

Gratis Blue Belt

Probably? Although ONE may soon change that.

Thais have little motivation or necessity to transition to MMA, I doubt it's even on their radar. If they were going to try their hand at a different combat sport they can just fight under KB rules or go to Boxing.

thatdude21601 and Koniradi98 like this.
  3. eseseses681

eseseses681 Purple Belt

People might say Dejdamrong is better, but Rambaa's wins over Noboru Tahara and Masaaki Sugawara are better than anything Dejdamrong's done in MMA. People forget (or are just unware of-) how good Tahara and Sugawara were in their primes, but that's another story. Then you combine his wins over Masayoshi Kato, Hiroyuki Abe, and throw in his wins over 10-3 flyweight Ryota Uozumi, Robin Catalan (Dejdamrong's latest victory), Ulysses Gomez, and even Takuya Eizumi [he's inconsistent, but he's better than his record suggests-- he started out going 6-2 with six knockout victories, which's rare for flyweight, and challenged Sunabe for the inaugural flyweight King of Pancrase, and he was a top-10 strawweight for a minute in a short-lived comeback that culminated with this gif], and he's definitely more accomplished in MMA. To give a frame of reference, Roy Doliguez is Dejdamrong's best victory. Doliguez is a very good fighter-- he was a top-10 strawweight at the time and had avenged his lone loss in MMA, and I like him a lot, and he's a better win than Yago Bryan, who Doliguez knocked out-- but Abe and Tahara were both ranked like 2nd or 3rd, and Sugawara was a top-10 flyweight.
    Rambaa also apparently revolutionized the use of the spider-guard in MMA against pretty legit grapplers (Hiroyuki Abe's a very strong wrestler, and Tahara has a really solid submission grappling game) and laid out the blueprint for how you can apply real Muay Thai to shootfighting. So he's got some influence outside of just his victories, too.

The ONE strawweight world championship is a more prestigious title than the Shooto title is, so that factors in, but not by enough to break the #2 spot (maybe #3 depending on where you put Wiratchai.)

Yosuke likes this.
  4. Asurah

Asurah |⁰⊖⁰)

Far and away the best, and he did the bulk of it in his 30's following a Muay Thai/kickboxing career. He was also a deceptively competent grappler with great takedown defense to complement his striking, he would stuff guys trying to take him down then eat away at their legs, sorta ending the myth that Thai fighters will always lose to decent wrestlers. He was a huge character too, very animated dude.

5. EatMyShorts

EatMyShorts Purple Belt

Wow - I'm impressed you dudes are so up to date on his comings and goings.

So - is he retired now?

I'm gonna churn out this generic phrase but, "would love to see him in the UFC".

6. EatMyShorts

EatMyShorts Purple Belt

Also - years and years and years ago, I actually trained with his initial coach in Sit Or in Pattaya. I had no idea he had trained Rambaa whilst I was there - found out much later - but we was a helluva coach.

Good times.

<Goldie11>

7. Shishio

Shishio Brown Belt

dude would smash flyweights back in the day.....i think he was like number 8 in sherdogs first flyweight rankings before dropping down

8. Plissken

Plissken Gold Belt

He's definitely the one who has had the highest ranking, wasn't just one dimensional either.

9. Asurah

Asurah |⁰⊖⁰)

I don't think he ever officially retired but injuries and age were catching up to him