Ralph's school vs. Charles' school? (SF Bay Area)

SaltyBalls420

White Belt
Reaction score
I currently train at Team USA in SF. We're a MT school but we just started training BJJ about 3 months ago. However, it's only 2 x week, and one hour long. I figure with such a short session we either lose out on the conditioning or cut short on sparring time.

I plan on doing Saturday classes at either Ralph Gracie's or Charles Gracie's school.

Any Sherdogger's train there? Any input on which school is best suited for my situation?

Any insight much appreciated.

Who's is teaching bjj at Team USA?

From what I hear Ralph's is gi-only. Don't know about Charles' except that I haven't seen many good competitors out of there.

I'd go to Ceasar Gracie's academy or Cameron Earle's (black belt under Ralph). Ceasar has produced some top JJ fighters (Jake Sheilds, Nick and Nathan Diaz, Dave Terrell). Cameron Earle (in Mountain View I think) is a killer at BJJ. He tapped out Marcelo Garcia when they were both brown belts at the World Championships, and I heard that he tapped Ralph out three times in 10 minutes in front of the whole class. And Ralph wasn't going easy either.

I don't mean to bad mouth Ralph, especially cause I've never even met him, but I heard he's quite an a-hole. I don't know anything about Charles.

Dr. BadAss said:
I don't mean to bad mouth Ralph, especially cause I've never even met him, but I heard he's quite an a-hole.

I think when he attacked Bobby Southworth while he was on crutches after he complained about the result of a match at a grappling tourney secured Ralph's status as somewhat of an asshole.

Superbeast said:
I think when he attacked Bobby Southworth while he was on crutches after he complained about the result of a match at a grappling tourney secured Ralph's status as somewhat of an asshole.

Oh, I've heard more. I heard he purposely broke Dave Camarillo's nose while training. Had Dave mounted, then for no reason, started punching him in the face. Later on they had some business disagreements and went their own separate ways with Ralph saying something like, "if I ever see you again I'll shoot you."

Ralph and Charles always known for drama

#1 Cesars in PH[school has standup/MMA/gi/and no-gi experts]

#2 Jake Sheilds at Fairtex in SF [no-gi expert]

#3 Cameron Earl in Mountain View

#4 Ralphs school in SF, Kurt Osiander is the most technical of his BB instructors[gi expert]

I know all these guys, if your purple or above I would consider this list as agood guide. Blue or white belts, any one of these are good. Charles has the lowest standards and has produced the least.

Dr. BadAss said:
Oh, I've heard more. I heard he purposely broke Dave Camarillo's nose while training. Had Dave mounted, then for no reason, started punching him in the face. Later on they had some business disagreements and went their own separate ways with Ralph saying something like, "if I ever see you again I'll shoot you."
Classy.

It would have been funnier if he'd said "I will shoot on you". Then Dave could have called up Gomi to do the job again.

Cesar and Ralph's academies have produced some of the top BJJ competitors in the business.

Like him or hate him, you can't deny that Ralph Gracie has produced some damn good guys.

TheHighlander said:
Who's is teaching bjj at Team USA?

Sanzio Garcia, Charles Gracie brown belt, and Bret Bergmark, Caesar Gracie, purple belt. We're all really green, but we all love it.

Thanks for all the advice.

I would love to train at Cesar's but the commute is pretty deep. I'm familiar with their school and will definitely consider it.

Leaning towards Ralph's in SF w/ Kurt Osiander.

Any thoughts on this cat?

if you're only going 1 day per week, cesar's would be worth the drive, imo

SaltyBalls420 said:
Thanks for all the advice.

I would love to train at Cesar's but the commute is pretty deep. I'm familiar with their school and will definitely consider it.

Leaning towards Ralph's in SF w/ Kurt Osiander.

Any thoughts on this cat?

Kurt the "Rino", the most technical BJJ GI instructor in SF, very kool dude[420 friendly]. Kurt runs the SF academy, if a bunch of guys show up late to avoid warm-up like Sat mornings, he will hold up the class and wait, then the warm up is killer, LOL. Kurt and BB Sergio Silva demonstrated most of the moves in the Half Guard chapter of my book.

the book is at....... www.BJJBook.com if you go to Kurt's academy, say hi...........

Montanha

Sergio Silva has his own Academy which i am proud to represent.. It's in Oakalnd right near the bart station and we have a awesome open door policy..

Http://www.opendoorbjj.com

well if we are throwing out the school names. i train at california team in oakland under eduardo rocha who is a 3rd degree black belt under royler. there are no gi classes and a couple of morning classes. we also have a beginner's class everyday to get your bjj feet wet with.

Sounds Good Batman... I head my friend Heidi is now training there.... She's helped me with my game a lot.. You guys came up on a great team mate..

fozzit said:
Sounds Good Batman... I head my friend Heidi is now training there.... She's helped me with my game a lot.. You guys came up on a great team mate..

yeah when she goes, she goes. she was so intense at the california open, eduardo was worried she was going to destroy her opponent. i only wish i was closer to her size so i could benefit more from her drive.

oh yeah the school also has a woman's class two days a week.

Yeah she was.... She's a warrior...

I fucked up at that tourney.. I threw away 2 months of intense fitness training, and jiu jitsu training to cut weight for that tourney... I didnt eat until 2 minutes before my match for weigh ins... I misread the part about weighing in with the gi, and had to cut 6 lbs the last 2 days to make my weight class... shit sucked balls bro.. the Dood beat me with a cross face neck crank on my lips causing me to bleed...The ref wasnt paying attention and even asked me what happened... I didnt protest the illegal hold and I took the L.. But the tourney was fun overall... Tell her Fozzit Said hi..

Thread starter, looks like there is nothing but BJJ opertunitys in the SF bay aera...........

Just start trainin man!!

Good to see all you guys writing in and representing your academy's, BJJ is the good life, Keep training!!

BTW , "fozzit" I spoke with Sergio at the California Open, hes a good guy. Good training there I bet.

SaltyBalls420 said:
Sanzio Garcia, Charles Gracie brown belt, and Bret Bergmark, Caesar Gracie, purple belt. We're all really green, but we all love it.

Bret has been coming over and training with us at Fairtex pretty regularly. Talk to him, he might have some ideas. An hour class at his pace should definitely be sufficient.

Back