Ralph Gracie Instructional

Discipulus

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm sure a lot of you have seen these, but I found one of Ralph's old instructionals on Youtube and thought I'd share. How valuable is this to someone with virtually no takedown knowledge?

Last edited:
I'm sure a lot of you have seen these, but I found one of Ralph's old instructionals on Youtube and thought I'd share. How valuable is this to someone with virtually no takedown knowledge?

When linking to videos on youtube the usual practice is to, y'know, actually link to the video. :wink:

In b4...

images

i'm not sure how realistic it is to think you're going to get that deep on a shot (1.53) with a fully resisting opponent.

the hip toss is kidna unrealistic too. as soon as you get that tricep and head control and turn, the opponent is going to drop his hips.

i'd say those moves work on someone with zero wrestling experience. that hip toss requires a lot of set-up and it's hard to get that deep on a shot.

i'm not sure how realistic it is to think you're going to get that deep on a shot (1.53) with a fully resisting opponent.

the hip toss is kidna unrealistic too. as soon as you get that tricep and head control and turn, the opponent is going to drop his hips.

i'd say those moves work on someone with zero wrestling experience. that hip toss requires a lot of set-up and it's hard to get that deep on a shot.

Your right it only works on guys with ZERO WRESTLING experience, like JON FITCH, one of the most technical wrestlers in the UFC. BJ penn hits that exact move in their fight.

throws_slams_BJ_Penn_Takes_Down_Jon_Fitch_UFC_127.gif

It did strike me that the demonstrations aren't ideal. Are there any recommendations for good beginner takedowns, in either a wrestling or judo style?

Your right it only works on guys with ZERO WRESTLING experience, like JON FITCH, one of the most technical wrestlers in the UFC. BJ penn hits that exact move in their fight.

throws_slams_BJ_Penn_Takes_Down_Jon_Fitch_UFC_127.gif

so anytime someone hits a double in a ufc fight the gracie video is ratified? lol. c'mon man. that worked because fitch was against the fence and couldn't sprawl.

there is a torrent from WAAAAY back in teh day i found called Mike Van Arsdale - Underhooks & Foot Sweeps that i thought was really good.

I saw a video recently by Rener and Ryron where they talked about the differences of their self defense jiu jitsu and sport jiu jitsu. They quoted one of the Valente Brothers who said something to the effect that the two are as different as apples and bowling balls. I am not asking this to get into a debate about SD vs sport, as that has been discussed here many times. What I am curious about is - is the bjj in Ralph Gracie's instructional similar or the same as the bjj taught at Gracie Academy and at Valente Brothers? I ask that b/c the bjj on Ralph's instructionals is very different from what is taught at my gym (RMNU).

Rener & Ryron on Street vs Sport
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e864iZ4sB8Q

I saw a video recently by Rener and Ryron where they talked about the differences of their self defense jiu jitsu and sport jiu jitsu. They quoted one of the Valente Brothers who said something to the effect that the two are as different as apples and bowling balls. I am not asking this to get into a debate about SD vs sport, as that has been discussed here many times. What I am curious about is - is the bjj in Ralph Gracie's instructional similar or the same as the bjj taught at Gracie Academy and at Valente Brothers? I ask that b/c the bjj on Ralph's instructionals is very different from what is taught at my gym (RMNU).

Rener & Ryron on Street vs Sport
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e864iZ4sB8Q

jeez...not this shit again

so anytime someone hits a double in a ufc fight the gracie video is ratified? lol. c'mon man. that worked because fitch was against the fence and couldn't sprawl.

Just responding to the comment on these moves ONLY working on someone with zero wrestling. Just cause a move has a defense doesn't mean it shouldn't be learned.

It's just a cool classic video, pretty sweet moves. BUT technique has evolved since then. Wrestlers are takedown experts, that is the best place to learn for sure.

Sprawls can stop a lot of takedowns, i think that is why we see so much action on the fence in the UFC now...they need to push them back to stop the sprawl, and work from there. More takedowns happen against the fence then in the middle of the octagon nowadays.

Back