Ralph gracie chino or rodrigo teixeira for bjj?

sak

White Belt
Reaction score
Just trying to make a decision between the two and wanted some opinions from people who have had some experience with either school.

I train at The chino Hills school so I am a bit biased. But Rodrigo's is excellent a well. Your best bet is to try them both out and decide for yourself.

go to the one you feel most comfortable with... the place you click with people the most

I have sparred with Rodrigo many many times.....he has an awesome guard. I don't know anything about the other school but Rodrigo knows his shit and he is doing well in tournaments. I say check out his school...he will let you try it for free.

YouTube - Rodrigo Teixeira vs. Bill Cooper

Thanks for the replies. I have already tried out Rodrigo's place a couple of times. I like it there and the only con about the place is the small mat space. Other than that its great guys with good rolls.

The only place I have to try is Ralph's in Chino. Yo Spoonman, can you let me know how a typical class is run and how full the classes get? I was also wondering whats the schools policies on promotions etc. I was at a gracie barra for a couple months and I don't want to end up at another school with stripes and belts given according to how much your attendance card is filled out.

I am just trying to find somewhere legit.

Thanks!

I just wanted to say that RGCH is LEGIT. They have 3 black belt teachers...Brad, Gabe and Greg. They have diverse backgrounds offering a wide range of influences in your training. It is a young school so all the instructors are super committed to producing all of their future world champions. There are a number of talented upper belts that train there as well - Big Dan, Daniel, Adrien to name a few.

I train there on mondays for both the beg and advanced classes. Its good stuff.

Nice. I am going to stop by there tomorrow morning and try out a class. I've tried out the OC location and its a very nice school. I work with Nick V. if you know him.

Ya...nick is a really good purple belt and RGOC is my home gym. The layout of Chino is basically the same as RGOC with the upstairs training area, lobby with the tv, locker room and the big downstairs mat.

Is the upstairs area pretty much a free rolling space? I was wondering if a lot of people stay after classes and do some more technique or rolling up there. That would be awesome if so.

Like Trumpet dan said, the chino Hills location is very legit, it is still a young school so there are many beginners but there are very good upper belts that train regularly. And the instructors there care about their students, you dont always find that at schools nowadays

checked out the morning class today...most likely will be going there from now on

Kind of off-topic, but was Rodrigo Teixeira the one pulling off all those scissor sweeps at the black belt level?

Cant go wrong with either of them imo.

Both schools will help your game.

BTW, i dont like the attendance card either, but i wouldnt let it be the deciding factor, unless you are torn between the two.

I train at Ralph Gracie Anaheim and make it out to train at Ralph Gracie Chino a minimum of once a week. Gabriel Costa and Greg Rivera are amazing instructors. There is an attendance card but it is not how they base your promotions. The school has been open for 1 year and they have not promoted ANYONE to blue belt yet. If you know Nick V, you should be able to talk to him about how the classes are. Good luck with your search and see you on the mat!

checked out the morning class today...most likely will be going there from now on

Good choice!! : ) The upstairs mat is going in this weekend. We have the greatest group of guys that train there. Also, it is really cool having 3 black belt instructors that teach during the week. Not many schools can brag about that. So glad you liked it when you came by. It really is a great school. We have the muay thai classes which are also included in the price too.

Brad Jackson who teaches at Chino Hills is a really really good instructor. I was under him for about 3 years he taught me SOOOOOO much. I have also seen how Gabriel Costa and Greg Rivera teach. They put alot of effort in making sure the students are learning well.

Back