Raising the Height of the Octagon

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by BlancaDiablo, Jan 4, 2015.

1. BlancaDiablo

BlancaDiablo Brown Belt

DC vs Jones was settled, kind of... It was a decision but a good fight It sucked how at the end of a boring pay per view Jones purposely grabbed the top of the cage when DC picked up, threw and flipped him!!! Jones could not defend that takedown. DC could have had enough gas to spike him on his head hard.
    Should the ufc raise the cage's height as Jones was too high above the cage to put his hand in the fence but had time to put his whole arm over the top after being lifted? Incedently, there were so many boring decisions last night, even the prelims were not exciting. A lot of boos. The whole event left me sour and mad after the illegal cage hold. It even seems champs get away with it as well lol they should have points deducted.

2. Adamant

Adamant GOLD BELT

Probably not. Why raise the cage for one fighter?

3. neomage2021

neomage2021 Silver Belt

watch the replay, gif, whatever. Jones actually didnt grab the cage. He instinctively reach out, realized it and stopped himself from grabbing it

4. jimbob27

jimbob27 Ken Shamrock Belt

I'm pretty sure the cage holding wasn't the reason you were feeling sour and mad seeing as it had absolutely zero bearing on the fight.

I was left sour and mad because nobody even mentioned Cormier's totally illegal attempt at throwing Jones out of the octagon.

5. estranged

estranged Black Belt

no need to do that. in fact i think they should lower it for better view

6. McSpikes

McSpikes Purple Belt

That has to be the dumbest thing said so far today

7. redbrownhaze

redbrownhaze Black Belt

Jones clearly let go of the cage like a Gentleman

NEXT

8. J180

J180 Brown Belt

Jones did not grab the cage, he reached and as he was about to he stopped himself.

9. BigDaddyBach

BigDaddyBach Banned Banned

Good point, TS. I see alot of people saying Jones 'destroyed' DC when it was actually a really a close fight. A case could actually be made DC even won 4 of those rounds (1,2,3,5). The 4th round was a complete stinker on DC's part but not one exchange of that fight was either fighter getting destroyed. The closest exchange of dominance was probably the one throw that you refer to. That throw was the closest ragdolling that either fighter displayed all fight - picking a full grown man, nearly twice your size, over your head and throwing him. In order to protect his ego, Jon Jones had to revert back to what he always does: cheat. A case could be made that the cage grab could have been as watershed as the Mendes vs Aldo 1 cage grab.

Jones td's were weak and the first one was more or less a trip. I felt the 5th round was just a clash of ego's: who's the better wrestler and that is when DC showed what he was made out of by picking him up and throwing him Eagle style. A lot of the Jones bias fanboys, like Luke Thomas, did not consider Cormier's takedown an actual takedown - I would like to know, in what alternate universe is tripping more impressive than picking a full grown man up and throwing him on his head??

10. SongXIII

SongXIII Red Belt Platinum Member

Reaching for something as you're being thrown around against your will is a completely natural reaction.

See:
    [​IMG]
    Did it leave a bad taste in your mouth when DC reached for the cage too?

11. AncientGeek

AncientGeek Brown Belt

You should have titled this thread "I'm going to give my post a legitimate title and then rant laundry-list style while also asking one question so my post isn't completely a mindless rant" but I guess that wouldn't have fit on the subject line.

As for cage height, which might have made an interesting thread, anyone else remember Tank Abbott trying to throw someone out of the octagon? I can't remember who or what event.

12. BigDaddyBach

BigDaddyBach Banned Banned

No, actually it was that Jon had momentary disorientation and thought that he was at the Chinese buffet grabbing for another helping of General Gau's chicken. Pair that with the fact that during consciousness shifts from buffet line to ragdoll , he became privy to the fact that he had an itch on his Medial Malleolus and was merely trying to scratch it while his damn hand somehow, someway got wrapped around the top of the cage. Poor Jon, he completely destroyed DC, why can't people just cut Bonesy Baby a break??! :icon_cry2

13. Medium Nog

Medium Nog Purple Belt

That doesn't make any sense at all, so it would have been better if he grabbed the fence like everyone else instinctually does? The prelims had some exciting finishes and the only real stinker on the card was Marquardt/Tavares. I'm thinking someone's least favorite fighter won and made him grumpy.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2015
  14. ultraninjastar

ultraninjastar Supreme Overlord

Hemispherical like the Thunderdome. Could be half of a dodecahedron.

15. thomm030

thomm030 Purple Belt

Nah no need to.

16. BlancaDiablo

BlancaDiablo Brown Belt

Lmfao to most of these replies!!! You peeps must be boredor stoned. Thanks to the few who made sense. Appreciate it