Raising hands during a fight.

MigitAs

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
Reyes at least in the early rounds, was raising his arms/hands after each round. I get that this is probably to cement his confidence to himself and his opponent, and maybe also to the judges, but is it really necessary? Thinking back to boxing and most fights I’ve seen, usually the guy raising his arm/hands between rounds like he’s already won actually loses the fight. I’m not a fan of this tactic personally, and can’t remember Jones/GSP/Fedor ever doing this. What do you guys think?

Yeah sometimes I wonder "How the hell does this guy think he's won?"

Discretion is real, judging is subjective and these are humans we're dealing with so....

Jones does this literally in every fight.

Jones jumped on top of the fence like he scored a walk off ko.

They say that it's worth showing the judges that you think you've won, and let's be real, it seems like anything can sway these judges, so worth a try to affect the outcome before they write it down.

it's wasting energy on upward arm movements that should be getting channeled into nasty uppercuts that make the viewers corn hole tighten up

well apparently one of the judges was barely watching the fights.
maybe him raising his hands is enough to convince that ref

Jones does this literally in every fight.
ironically he has never lost ... being on a 2 losing streak.

On Topic
I like guys rising hands, it doesn't only mean that they think they won the round, they also just be happy and enjoying the fight. Indeed i have done it myself bc of that.
"i love this shit, give me more!"

Last edited:
Well it definitely doesn't work if you're name is Dominick Reyes.

BJ Penn alleged he lost the first Edgar fight due to that. Lol that idiot.

With how judges score fights these days, i'd be screaming I WON I WON while running back to my corner in between each round and celebrating. I'd also get a tattoo that says "octagon control" on my back.

Who knows what the fuck wins fights to the judges now days, may aswell start an election campaign instead of having a camp.

With how judges score fights these days, i'd be screaming I WON I WON while running back to my corner in between each round and celebrating. I'd also get a tattoo that says "octagon control" on my back.

Who knows what the fuck wins fights to the judges now days, may aswell start an election campaign instead of having a camp.

Somebody is overreacting a little. That decision must have got you pretty mad.

Reyes at least in the early rounds, was raising his arms/hands after each round. I get that this is probably to cement his confidence to himself and his opponent, and maybe also to the judges, but is it really necessary? Thinking back to boxing and most fights I’ve seen, usually the guy raising his arm/hands between rounds like he’s already won actually loses the fight. I’m not a fan of this tactic personally, and can’t remember Jones/GSP/Fedor ever doing this. What do you guys think?
Jones raises his hand all the time and from my memory even more often on close rounds

You always see them do it during training so I think it's partly a habit as well.

A lot of fighting is mental - act like a winner, feel like a winner, be a winner (sounds like something Rockhold would say before being KTFO by Bisping).

Back