Media Rafael Dos Anjos vs Benson Henderson Was a Horrible Stoppage

Hollywood Jack

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
It was just a flash knock down. Benson immediately tries to defend himself and he's able to get up without wobbling despite 300 lb Big John literally sitting on his head. I think Big John is arguably the best in the business, but this was a bad stoppage in a #1 contender fight. Benson looked good before the stoppage too.

Full fight video:

Timestamped embed to the finish in real time:

Timestamped embed to the replay of the finish:

yeah i remember thinking that at the time too, and still do.

i could see why the ref would stop it though, he dropped like he actually got KO'd and the ref already stepped in to stop it before he could see that benson wasn't out.

also lol at stann saying " struggling to get up ", maybe because big john was fuckin sitting on him? lmao.

Well he got KO'ed as he tried to get up, so not really.

Yeah, 100% early stoppage. To be fair Benson fell like he was out but was immediately with it and couldn’t defend because Big John sat on his head.

He then proceeded to run around the cage like he just stubbed his toe. Definitely early.

It was recorded as a clean KO too. Big John kept insisting that Benson "went out". It shouldn't have even been a TKO let alone a clean KO. Maybe dos Anjos would have pounded him out afterward, but the fighter should be given a chance to get back into the fight (or not) instead of having it called immediately after a flash knock down.

Well he got KO'ed as he tried to get up, so not really.
Watch the replay closely. It was a flash knock down. Even if you want to argue it was a flash KO, Benson immediately reacts on the ground and is able to get up without wobbling despite having a man who's twice his body weight sitting on top of his head.

Watch the replay closely. It was a flash knock down. Even if you want to argue it was a flash KO, Benson immediately reacts on the ground and is able to get up without wobbling despite having a man who's twice his body weight sitting on top of his head.
He dropped like a sack of potatoes and was eating shots without defending them.

Stoppage wasn't really bad.

It's been a few years since I watched that fight, but I'm pretty sure RDA cracked him with a flying knee before that. Maybe JBM thought that he had already taken too much damage?

Didn't look horrible, he was for sure flash ko'd for a second...

i could see why the ref would stop it though, he dropped like he actually got KO'd and the ref already stepped in to stop it before he could see that benson wasn't out.

also lol at stann saying " struggling to get up ", maybe because big john was fuckin sitting on him? lmao.

bENSON GOT PUT AAWAWYSA SADLKASJOP-DIKAWSNDFI -0PAZSNHIKP FAHBIU0POAS

Thats a 50-50,

Sure Benson could have survived that but the way he dropped put that decision in the hands of Big John.

Yeah I was pissed. Bad stoppage. Big John is a good ref, but sometimes he is wrong. Ben was still in it

Last edited:
Poopy stoppage for sure. I gotta give BJM some slack though. Bendo seemingly got dropped by the knee before hand and dropped limp with his back toward Big John from the punch.

bENSON GOT PUT AAWAWYSA SADLKASJOP-DIKAWSNDFI -0PAZSNHIKP FAHBIU0POAS
giphy.gif

I watched it a few times now and it's literally 50/50. Some refs stop it, some won't.

I could see why BJ stopped it, with Bendo eating a double knee, then getting dropped like that right after.

Still, Bendo was only able to get up because BJ kept RDA away - as if dos Anjos would have just stopped beating on him had BJ not been inbetween them

It's been a few years since I watched that fight, but I'm pretty sure RDA cracked him with a flying knee before that. Maybe JBM thought that he had already taken too much damage?
RDA landed the knee, but Benson reacted to it well with a take down attempt, he wasn't just eating a ton of unanswered shots without reacting.

I could see why BJ stopped it, with Bendo eating a double knee, then getting dropped like that right after.

Still, Bendo was only able to get up because BJ kept RDA away - as if dos Anjos would have just stopped beating on him had BJ not been inbetween them
The biggest impediment to RDA getting up was Big John sitting on his head and he still managed to do so quickly despite that. Granted, that was after the stoppage, but Benson was already reacting before the stoppage. It was a flash knock down, he wasn't wobbled and he wasn't knocked out cold.

It was just a flash knock down. Benson immediately tries to defend himself and he's able to get up without wobbling despite 300 lb Big John literally sitting on his head. I think Big John is arguably the best in the business, but this was a bad stoppage in a #1 contender fight. Benson looked good before the stoppage too.

Full fight video:

Timestamped embed to the finish in real time:

Timestamped embed to the replay of the finish:

The replay of the finish clearly shows RDA punching him, then stopping when The ref intervened. Had the ref not intervened, he would have been on the receiving end of even more punches

RDA landed the knee, but Benson reacted to it well with a take down attempt, he wasn't just eating a ton of unanswered shots without reacting.
Ok I just remember at the time thinking that it was an early stoppage. Then reconsidering it after watching it a couple of times.

Back