Rafael Cordeiro wants to train Shogun again: "I would welcome him like a son"

Shogun is not going to train in the US, he likes being close to his family. He should fight one or two more times and retire. He just doesn't seem interested anymore.

As much as I love Cordeiro, Shogun isn't lacking a fight trainer. He's lacking a fitness trainer.

i could see cordeiro putting him in shape

but thats the thing, making shogun go to the us to live and train there will already need a complete change of mindset that would allow him to be in shape and ready to fight

The game has passed Shogun's style and type by.

He missed the boat on evolving, and now is just a puncher's chance fighter.

Shogun is modern day fighter

The game has passed Shogun's style and type by.

He missed the boat on evolving, and now is just a puncher's chance fighter.
He used to be a guy where his kicks and knees were his best game. Watching his fights since his last ACL tear it should be obvious he can't do those things anymore to anyone watching. He's really tightened up his boxing and but his focus on that, which is really smart honestly.. he's improved shitloads in that area.

Only a few problems.. he was never a great boxer to begin with. Now he might have some of the better hands at LHW, but it's just not enough. He also always gasses later in the fight these days, once again I think his bad knees hurt his cardio training, and throwing bombs the whole fight doesn't help.

He needs to quit fucking around and join a real camp if he wants to continue his career, and I believe he could still have success. Perhaps he wont win a belt, but win big fights and maybe even another title shot. He is young, but if he doesn't want to commit enough to join a camp and leave his family, perhaps he should just fight lower level guys or just call it a career.

What people don't understand about aging fighters, is that even if they start losing.. they still make a lot of money. Especially an established legend like Shogun. As long as he can make 100,000 a fight.. even if he's past his prime. Why the fuck not? I'll continue to watch him. I'd just rather watch him destroy lower level guys if he's not fully committed.

He's still a great fighter, just not elite anymore. I'm not going to completely rule out him getting back to that point in the future though.

I can't watch him lose brutally like Hendo or OSP anymore though. Another knockout and I will be calling for his retirement like everyone else. He's got one bad fight left before i'm completely writing him off. I'm as big of a Shogun fan as you can get. Those loses nearly brought me to tears

Yeah you're right
If anything, the factor of evolution that's passed Shogun by is the HUGE weight cuts these days.

He' obviously evolved. His TDD has improved a lot, for a while before his ACT tear he was showing huge improvements in his fight IQ and striking. He's always had problems with bigger guys.. go back and watch his fights with Reem in pride.. especially the second fight. Reem was shutting him down, Shogun won by just being a badass.

The Coleman fights and first Griffin fight wern't flukes either. Those guys were way bigger than him and wore him out with their size. He still manged to beat them both.

Gus, OSP, Jones. Simply just too fuckin big for Shogun... who doesn't give a shit and tries his best anyway. Even Sonnen was just a bad matchup for him. Sonnen gave Anderson fits too who was a badass at LHW just like Rua.

He's too damn small these days. He looked great against Lyoto because Lyoto isn't 20 pounds heavier than him, and Te Huna. And he did fine against Hendo in both fights as far as not getting ragdolled.

If anything, the factor of evolution that's passed Shogun by is the HUGE weight cuts these days.

He' obviously evolved. His TDD has improved a lot, for a while before his ACT tear he was Shogun huge improvements in his fight IQ and striking. He's always had problems with bigger guys.. go back and watch his fights with Reem in pride.. especially the second fight. Reem was shutting him down, Shogun won by just being a badass.

The Coleman fights and first Griffin fight wern't flukes either. Those guys were way bigger than him and wore him out with their size. He still manged to beat them both.

Gus, OSP, Jones. Simply just too fuckin big for Shogun... who doesn't give a shit and tries his best anyway.

Dude, go through my thread history. You won't find another poster that has gone to bat for Shogun more than I have. He's been one of my guys since his first fight in PRIDE.

I love Shogun.

The sport has passed him by.

He' obviously evolved. His TDD has improved a lot, for a while before his ACT tear he was showing huge improvements in his fight IQ and striking. He's always had problems with bigger guys.. go back and watch his fights with Reem in pride.. especially the second fight. Reem was shutting him down, Shogun won by just being a badass.

Gus, OSP, Jones. Simply just too fuckin big for Shogun... who doesn't give a shit and tries his best anyway. Even Sonnen was just a bad matchup for him. Sonnen gave Anderson fits too who was a badass at LHW just like Rua.

He's too damn small these days. He looked great against Lyoto because Lyoto isn't 20 pounds heavier than him, and Te Huna. And he did fine against Hendo in both fights as far as not getting ragdolled.

i agree. Lean Shogun would do wonders at MW lol

Dude, go through my thread history. You won't find another poster that has gone to bat for Shogun more than I have. He's been one of my guys since his first fight in PRIDE.

I love Shogun.

The sport has passed him by.
The evolution of MMA is extremely exaggerated. The sport hasn't passed him by, if anything.. he's just fought extremely tough guys for 10+ years now and HE has slowed down. He's obviously lost a few steps, and thats all it takes. But saying the sports evolved so much is just bullshit. Chuck, Randy, Tito in their prime would still be top 10 HW's today, or atleast top 15. So its evolved a little, but not much.

It would be good for him, also move down to MW.

The evolution of MMA is extremely exaggerated. The sport hasn't passed him by, if anything.. he's just fought extremely tough guys for 10+ years now and HE has slowed down. He's obviously lost a few steps, and thats all it takes. But saying the sports evolved so much is just bullshit. Chuck, Randy, Tito in their prime would still be top 10 HW's today, or atleast top 15. So its evolved a little, but not much.

No they would not lol

i agree. Lean Shogun would do wonders at MW lol
Im not going to say he'd do badass. But I think he'd be top 10 still.

Kenedy, Romero, Machida, Rockhold.

Those guys would probably beat him, but who knows..

I think he'd be able to beat Bisping, or Munoz.. or Boetch. Be ranked 5-10. But maybe he'd do even better than that. Its not just the weight cut, he'd have to really change his training habits.

Im not going to say he'd do badass. But I think he'd be top 10 still.

Kenedy, Romero, Machida, Rockhold.

Those guys would probably beat him, but who knows..

I think he'd be able to beat Bisping, or Munoz.. or Boetch. Be ranked 5-10. But maybe he'd do even better than that. Its not just the weight cut, he'd have to really change his training habits.

yeah I mean, he's not going to beat Weidman. but I'd like to see Machida v Shogun 3 at least. And while we're at it, Spider v Shogun anyone???

No they would not lol
I meant LHW's. And 42 year old Randy was a HW champion just a few years ago. If lil Nog was in the top 10 last year, yes.. Chuck and Randy would be top 10 LHWs.

Not saying top 5, or champions.. but top 10 for fuckin sure

I meant LHW's. And 42 year old Randy was a HW champion just a few years ago. If lil Nog was in the top 10 last year, yes.. Chuck and Randy would be top 10 LHWs.

Not saying top 5, or champions.. but top 10 for fuckin sure

My opinion is that Chuck going from one of the greatest LHW's in the world, unbeatable, champion, and a P4P candidate; to a fringe top 10 fighter in the division nowadays, would symbolize a pretty significant evolution of MMA.

My opinion is that Chuck going from one of the greatest LHW's in the world, unbeatable, champion, and a P4P candidate; to a fringe top 10 fighter in the division nowadays, would symbolize a pretty significant evolution of MMA.

He was like 39 or something like that? Then again so is Belfort but ya know.. he's a CHEAT

eh, I dont have that opinion of him at all.. I love Liddell, but the UFC has a pretty weak LHW division when he ruled. All the good guys were in Japan.

And that shows a SLIGHT evolution. IF he's still top 10 years after his dominance... that's hardly any evolution.

eh, I dont have that opinion of him at all.. I love Liddell, but the UFC has a pretty weak LHW division when he ruled. All the good guys were in Japan.

And that shows a SLIGHT evolution. IF he's still top 10 years after his dominance... that's hardly any evolution.

Well in that case you could use Wand or Rampage for example. Argument is still the same.

Well in that case you could use Wand or Rampage for example. Argument is still the same.
Well, once again I think if they were in their prime they'd still be relevant in todays LHW division.

I mean cmon dude page had a title shot like.. 3 years ago? And yes he was way past his best by that time.

Other divisions have evolved more than the heavier ones, i'll give you that. There's no way a prime sherk, or stevenson would be doing much in the LW division of 2015

Back