Rafael Cordeiro wants to train Shogun again: "I would welcome him like a son"

orlandod

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Combate

dsc02165.jpg

"I would really like Shogun to get back to training with me. I like him a lot, and that's why I want to train him. I can't say I'm gonna be the saviour, but I know his fighting style very well and I'm very fond of him. He likes to be in Brazil, near his family. He has a need to be close to his mother, wife, friends and, sometimes, I can't see myself in a camp in Brasil because of all the things I have to do in my gym. But I sure want to get back to training Shogun one day and help him to get back to the top, where he belongs. He's a young guy, age is not a problem. I see Werdum, who's 37 and riding the best moment in his carrer. Belfort, at 38, is also at his peak. We have enough time to get him ready. Anytime he wants, he will be welcomed here like it was his home, like a father opening the doors to his son, without a problem. That's the message I want to give him"

On what Shogun is lacking in his game
"It's hard to say because I don't watch him on a daily basis, but I can tell what's missing: motivation. Getting him a motivation injection, and that's all. Shogun is ready. The most important thing is that he has heart. This kid is not afraid of anybody. If you match Shogun against anyone, he will fight. He never steps back, he walks towards everyone, against anyone. That the Shogun who have been prepared to get where he is. He only lacks a little motivation to see that "I'm good" smile inside the octagon"

I would really like to see what Cordeiro could do for Shogun. What he did to Werdum and RDA is evident. Why not try it with Rua (again)?

You did love him so. You looked after him like a son

I think it could do wonders for Rua but I kind of feel that Shogun doesnt want to commit that much

I think we all want to see this again

The comments Master Rafael made after the Shogun vs Hendo were 100% correct anyway, not sure why Shogun got upset or who in his team got annoyed by them

I'd love to see it but I doubt it happens. Hopefully Eduardo comments on this.

Shoguns too much of a family man to make that commitment now. He should have a send off fight against Rampage or Lil Nog and call it a career.

At this point, it's the best decision for him but Shogun is gonna Shogun.

That last paragraph gave me goose bumps. Heart for days, but I just don't know how much mobility Mauricio has left. I think what a lot perceive as lack of motivation is him not being able to train his cardio the way he used to when his knees were good. He can't throw a lot of kicks and is a sitting duck for some of the more mobile guys.

Lot of Shogun fans are hoping and wanting him to get back to training with Cordeiro

Rafaels Chute Boxe 2.0 style has the same aggression but focuses on footwork, defense, and angles to set up kill shots. Easily the best striking coach in the game right now, hes done wonders with previously limited guys like RDA, Werdum, and Dariush... all looking like monsters.

Although I think he shouldve retired long ago, would definitely benefit Shogun.

Most underrated coach in the game now IMO.

ImmaculateVengefulElephant.gif

tumblr_mzgq99iFle1qhndw9o1_500.gif

Rafael+dos+Anjos+Drops+Jason+High+-+UFC+Fight+Night+Albuquerque.gif

As much as I love Cordeiro, Shogun isn't lacking a fight trainer. He's lacking a fitness trainer.

Any coach would benefit Shogun. Does he even train anymore?

As much as I love Cordeiro, Shogun isn't lacking a fight trainer. He's lacking a fitness trainer.

He had that when he was at Kings Mma for the Griffin fight

Hasn't Shogun been getting son'd enough lately?

oh nice

i was thinking on creating a thread about this article but i got too lazy

He had that when he was at Kings Mma for the Griffin fight

The game has passed Shogun's style and type by.

He missed the boat on evolving, and now is just a puncher's chance fighter.

I wish Shogun would retire. As a big fan, it just looks like he doesn't have much left. He looks tired when the fight starts.

Don't get me wrong, he can still KO people. But I have the feeling Shogun will be dangerous when he's like 80.

Back