Rafa Wants a Bigger Purse....

The promoter has already told both Rafael & Cobrinha that he will plan the event to accommodate their seminar schedule at a time that works for everyone. This "I have to cancel seminars" thing is just a red herring.

he means to train for this match he'll need to cancel many seminars, not to attend it

a sub only match will very lilely last for over and hour and they'll both need a much higher than usual stamina level to keep it going

The promoter has already told both Rafael & Cobrinha that he will plan the event to accommodate their seminar schedule at a time that works for everyone. This "I have to cancel seminars" thing is just a red herring.

It is good to see a balanced, unbiased opinion on the topic from an Alliance member.

Oh, wait :D

Yeah but this is a little different. We agree on most things I know. But this is the biggest purse for a gi fight in history. Skipping an event is different than skipping out on the potential biggest superfight in BJJ history. I am not slandering Mendes at all. This could still go down. Even if it doesn't, I still respect both men the same, but it would be sad for this opportunity for both men to slip. They both have a lot to gain, I think. I am just saying that this situation has no precedence and can't really be compared to anything else.

the biggest superfight in BJJ history? really? 2 guys who in 7 matches have only had one that was vaguely interesting (and it wasnt in a gi). 2 guys who are too evenly matched to have an exciting, fast paced match.

i can think of ten other to the tap matches i would equally like to see, most more than this one.

The classier thing would be for Gurgel to have said nothing more than: "We would be most happy to participate in this potential superfight. Cobrinha has already accepted the terms and it is now up to Rafael to do likewise."

I wonder if Gurgel was as dismissive to his own students, to Malfacine about his mundials title won by an advantage point or to Langhi, his title won by Refs Decision? I suspect not.

It is good to see a balanced, unbiased opinion on the topic from an Alliance member.

Oh, wait :D

Let me guess, you think that you are the epitome of balanced, unbiased opinion? whahahahahaha - good one! You got me. damn.

he means to train for this match he'll need to cancel many seminars, not to attend it

a sub only match will very lilely last for over and hour and they'll both need a much higher than usual stamina level to keep it going

That is no different that he has to do for ANY tournament that he competes in, yet somehow those are "worth" it even though they pay less. Also, Cobrinha has the same issue to contend with, and he could make it work.

the biggest superfight in BJJ history? really? 2 guys who in 7 matches have only had one that was vaguely interesting (and it wasnt in a gi). 2 guys who are too evenly matched to have an exciting, fast paced match.

i can think of ten other to the tap matches i would equally like to see, most more than this one.

you are obviously not a logician. Just because you can conceive of more appealing grappling matches (e.g., Rickson vs. Grizzly Bear) doesn't mean that this wouldn't be the biggest in history -- whether according to viewership or simply fan opinion -- were it to happen. In other words, you alone do not represent the BJJ community... that can only be said of Danaher's haircut.

That is no different that he has to do for ANY tournament that he competes in, yet somehow those are "worth" it even though they pay less. Also, Cobrinha has the same issue to contend with, and he could make it work.

No, they're different. The tourneys Rafa does such as Mundials, ADCC, etc. have set in stone schedules.This is a random idea purposed with nothing in writing, no venue, no date, and for now no competitors :icon_neut

because the investors said they would work it around their schedules doesn't mean either guy in prepared for this match and maybe when the time does come Rafa might be preparing for another tourney. Something like this would require a bit of time to prepare.

No one has invested that much money into one match. That's my point. 10,000 for one match not at a tourney? How is that not the biggest gi match ever?

you are obviously not a logician. Just because you can conceive of more appealing grappling matches (e.g., Rickson vs. Grizzly Bear) doesn't mean that this wouldn't be the biggest in history -- whether according to viewership or simply fan opinion -- were it to happen. In other words, you alone do not represent the BJJ community... that can only be said of Danaher's haircut.

Exactly. 10,000 bucks for the winner of one single match is without a doubt the biggest superfight ever! I never said anything in my post about it being the two best, most interesting, blah blah blah. I just said it is the potential biggest match ever, and it is. Just look at the purse. Undercard UFC fighters often don't make that much.

Let me guess, you think that you are the epitome of balanced, unbiased opinion? whahahahahaha - good one! You got me. damn.

No, but i am a Cobrinha fan who tries to look at this from Mendes' point of view as well.

You'd better take a seat. I want Mendes to take this match so Cobrinha can sub him, but i respect his right to drive a hard bargain before agreeing to it - this is his time, his reputation, his prestige of being dual world champion. He can bargain from a position of power, because he has the power. If Cobrinha had the titles, we probably wouldn't even be talking about this since he would have retired already.

I don't agree with the hectoring approach that you, other Cobrinha fans and even Gurgel himself (albeit in a polite manner) are adopting, that is distinct from my agreeing with the core sentiment, that this match should happen.

In the UK in 2007 we had the 10k challenge, a 32 man tournament, 10,000 pounds, winner takes all (albeit not a to the tap tournie i think 60% of matches ended in submissions). A bunch of europeans but unsurprisingly it was rafael lovato, braulio, jeff monson and leo negao who made the semis, Braulio lost on pts to monson in the final. Was a good concept tho, perhaps they could expand it here (unless the promoter doesn't care about the money and just wants the fight to happen, not a return on his cash).

Maybe one option would be to schedule the superfight (or 4 or 8 man tournie) for a week after the mundials in LA or vegas. At least it would be easier to keep people around. or have them on the next LA Sub X or Pro Sub League if they hold one.

Or put this on in Japan. Shame they stopped doing those Desafio Pro BJJ shows (Japan vs Brazil).

Or get the Sheikh to throw up 100 grand and have this as the showpiece at the next big tournie in the middle east, hell why not get 5 superfights up, 50 grand a pop to the winner.

"Let the dogs bark!! that means we are walking" (Don Quijote)

from rafa & gui's FB page... :icon_chee

this is all very entertaining

I want Mendes to take this match so Cobrinha can sub him, but i respect his right to drive a hard bargain before agreeing to it - this is his time, his reputation, his prestige of being dual world champion. He can bargain from a position of power, because he has the power. If Cobrinha had the titles, we probably wouldn't even be talking about this since he would have retired already.

I don't think this is a fair assumption. It's likely that Cobrinha's more motivated to take the fight because he lost their last encounter. However, to assume that he would be unwilling to compete is going overboard. The guy has never backed away from competition and (if you will remember) won his last world title despite injuries that nearly caused him to withdraw. There is essentially no basis for this allegation.

$10K guaranteed for a fight (even if it took a long time) is a sizable purse in my opinion, but Mendes has every right to demand a bigger purse. It's his contract to accept or reject. However, as with any athlete, his reputation impacts his opportunities and sponsorships. Also, win or lose, there is something to be said for giving the fans what they want and contributing to the BJJ community, which is the real loser in this equation.

I don't think this is a fair assumption. It's likely that Cobrinha's more motivated to take the fight because he lost their last encounter. However, to assume that he would be unwilling to compete is going overboard. The guy has never backed away from competition and (if you will remember) won his last world title despite injuries that nearly caused him to withdraw. There is essentially no basis for this allegation.

$10K guaranteed for a fight (even if it took a long time) is a sizable purse in my opinion, but Mendes has every right to demand a bigger purse. It's his contract to accept or reject. However, as with any athlete, his reputation impacts his opportunities and sponsorships. Also, win or lose, there is something to be said for giving the fans what they want and contributing to the BJJ community, which is the real loser in this equation.

See, I'm pretty sure the winner gets nothing. That's a pretty big risk.

Lawyer or something? There is a misunderstanding on your part here.

Cobrinha had stated this year he would be retiring from competition. I was speculating that if he had won the Mundials (for the 5 time in a row) and beaten Rafael in the final, then he would possibly have just retired content with his achievements.

I did not say that if these specific positions were reversed then it would be Cobrinha keeping us guessing or backing out of anything or avoiding the competition as Rafael is accused of - i merely wondered if he had won the Mundials and beaten Rafael, would this situation we are now discussing have even arisen in the first place (i.e. someone putting up money to see him fight Rafael again in a superfight).

This is merely a conjecture on what may have been had certain circumstances been different, not an"allegation" of anything.

Lawyer or something? There is a misunderstanding on your part here.

Cobrinha had stated this year he would be retiring from competition. I was speculating that if he had won the Mundials (for the 5 time in a row) and beaten Rafael in the final, then he would possibly have just retired content with his achievements.

I did not say that if these specific positions were reversed then it would be Cobrinha keeping us guessing or backing out of anything or avoiding the competition as Rafael is accused of - i merely wondered if he had won the Mundials and beaten Rafael, would this situation we are now discussing have even arisen in the first place (i.e. someone putting up money to see him fight Rafael again in a superfight).

This is merely a conjecture on what may have been had certain circumstances been different, not an "allegation" of anything.

gotcha. My bad. I thought you were trying to say that he wouldn't have considered taking this if he had won the Mundials. He may not have agreed, but I think he'd be game regardless. His retirement from the intense competition schedule he maintained over the last few years, I don't think would prevent him from taking on a single fight, especially if his fans wanted him to take it. Like you said, though, this is just conjecture.

See, I'm pretty sure the winner gets nothing. That's a pretty big risk.

well, that's rare ...

No. I must again stress, i am a Cobrinha fan, i want the fight to happen and i want him to win; but i can respect Mendes' decision to hold out for more money (although let us see what happens if someone calls his bluff).

I also feel that Gurgel has been both slightly hypocritical in his stated opinion (given the comparisons i draw with his own team's achievements) and that he was unnecessarily disparaging (albeit so very politely) about the achievements of another BJJ professional.

Last edited:
Back