Rafa Mendes Armbar off Omoplata

asian-glow

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Rafa Mendes does a particular straight armlock off of the omoplata position from bottom.

Also found at the end of this clip:

Can anyone link me to any instructionals, tips, comments, or thoughts?

I'm not sure if all that much instruction is needed. It looks like he's getting an omoplata and when uke tried to extend his arm to circle out he's going to a straight armbar using the omoplata leg. Neat idea.

I'm not sure if all that much instruction is needed. It looks like he's getting an omoplata and when uke tried to extend his arm to circle out he's going to a straight armbar using the omoplata leg. Neat idea.

Seems like it's using solely arm power and would require a lot of strength yet I see him so it to Jolet quite easily.

Seems like it's using solely arm power and would require a lot of strength yet I see him so it to Jolet quite easily.

I'd guess the arms are mostly bracing and the power comes from dropping the leg down on the elbow. Though from that angle, it's not like you can't generate a lot of pushing power. It's basically a bench press, chest more than arms.

That's the kind of improvised armbar i do to my gf.

I was most impressed with him turning the opponents backstep to berimbolo. 1:20

I was most impressed with him turning the opponents backstep to berimbolo. 1:20
That's trivial to do. Backstepping the de la riva is a huge noob mistake. You have to remove the de la riva hook to do that

If you want to see someone really good at this check out Otavio Sousa. He has done a lot of these in comp and caught Ben Henderson with this at ADCC.

its kinda like a razor armlock aka reverse armbar u cant really control the sub very well if the guy starts t scramble isnt as secure as say a kimura or normal armlock tbh i dont like to do subs that i cant fully control the persons body with or the limb im attacking with them able t posture its to risky for me personally t rely on it

its kinda like a razor armlock aka reverse armbar u cant really control the sub very well if the guy starts t scramble isnt as secure as say a kimura or normal armlock tbh i dont like to do subs that i cant fully control the persons body with or the limb im attacking with them able t posture its to risky for me personally t rely on it

I kind of see your point.

The straight armlock is a technique that I believe takes more finesse than a regular armbar. I don't like the one that Marcelo does from butterfly but the one from closed guard that you initiate like this:
upload_2019-4-4_9-45-49.jpeg

I find to be pretty strong if I'm diligent about using my top leg to break their posture. For a long time I was trying way to hard to use my arms to keep them down.

This is why Rafa's armbar is perplexing to me. People posture out of my omoplatas no problem - I don't know what he's doing to keep them down.

I kind of see your point.

The straight armlock is a technique that I believe takes more finesse than a regular armbar. I don't like the one that Marcelo does from butterfly but the one from closed guard that you initiate like this:
View attachment 558981

I find to be pretty strong if I'm diligent about using my top leg to break their posture. For a long time I was trying way to hard to use my arms to keep them down.

This is why Rafa's armbar is perplexing to me. People posture out of my omoplatas no problem - I don't know what he's doing to keep them down.

i use it at times but tbh catching it on a top guy is very hard i dont like t do things that wont work on black belts i do it from side control mostly i find myself from bottom missing it and transitioning into an armlock or triangle ect but i was more talking about doing it from that omoplata position since you have no real control of their posture at least with doing a razor/inverted armlock from guard is you can throw a leg across the neck t somewhat clamp down

jiu jitsus all about space when subbing you cant have space at white blue purple you notice looking back at those colored belts that you prob dont do your subs the same way as you do when you are brown or black any space you give a good grappler its there route to escape

i use it at times but tbh catching it on a top guy is very hard i dont like t do things that wont work on black belts i do it from side control mostly i find myself from bottom missing it and transitioning into an armlock or triangle ect but i was more talking about doing it from that omoplata position since you have no real control of their posture at least with doing a razor/inverted armlock from guard is you can throw a leg across the neck t somewhat clamp down

jiu jitsus all about space when subbing you cant have space at white blue purple you notice looking back at those colored belts that you prob dont do your subs the same way as you do when you are brown or black any space you give a good grappler its there route to escape

Very true. I agree.

If you want to see someone really good at this check out Otavio Sousa. He has done a lot of these in comp and caught Ben Henderson with this at ADCC.
i was thinking the same

heres ostap analyzing a failed attempt on lepri

Back