Rack Pulls vs Deadlifts?

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by sfortune85, Aug 25, 2010.

1. sfortune85

sfortune85 White Belt

I was told I should do this if I round my back too much during deadlifts. Are there any other advantages to this exercise?

2. turbozed

turbozed Red Belt

Rack pulls are a good accessory exercise for deadlifts. They shouldn't replace deadlifts if you can help it, however.

Fix your back rounding problem by working on your technique, not by giving up.

3. flak

flak Guest

Agreed 100%.

Rack pulls are primarily useful in remedying a weak lock-out in full-ROM deadlifts.

Furthermore, it sounds like you're not sure you even have a problem. So you'd be wise to post a video of yourself doing some fairly heavy deadlifts, so that you can get some feedback. Many people (including me) round their upper backs somewhat during heavy DLs, without any ill effect.

4. Mumrik

Mumrik Silver Belt

I always had a hard time relating to rack pulls for fixing bad posture. I'm pretty sure problems with lockout most often isn't something you experience until you get to some pretty heavy lifting (far heavier than anything I've pulled), so I doubt rack pulls make much sense for beginners/inexperienced lifter.
    To me, all the posture problems happen in the first 25% of the lift. Not the last.

Or am I just nuts?

Last edited: Aug 25, 2010
  5. curb1850

curb1850 Green Belt

Great advice.

6. sfortune85

sfortune85 White Belt

Thanks for all the advice!

7. millasur

millasur Blue Belt

hey this is good to know, the pt at the gym the other day picked up on me rounding my upper back too much on teh eccentric part of the lift, I never really have even thought about it but he said I was rounding too much and needed to keep my back / hips out more. I don't want to cause trouble for myself obv, but I've always been super concerned with setting up correctly and with a strong back for the pull, not the bar lowering... would others agree? I'm not sure if its a lack of flexibility on my part or a lazyness when lowering hte bar.. (i know, both are not ideal.)

8. Gierrod

Gierrod Blue Belt

Ignore almost all Personal trainers they dont no shit.

9. Indivdude

Indivdude Blue Belt

Which part did the PT say was curving?

[​IMG]

Because its not such a big deal if the Thoracic spine is bent a bit while deadlifting. If its the lumbar or sacral (I don't even know if that's possible) then that's a problem.

10. theBrookDweller

theBrookDweller Blue Belt

What do the people on here have against personal trainers? I'm truly curious.

11. flak

flak Guest

The bias isn't against personal trainers per se. It's against poorly informed personal trainers, who recommend cookie-cutter workout plans to every client and dole out inaccurate advice on lifting form, etc.

There's been a ton of posters on S&P/S&C who've experienced this firsthand.

I know at the first two "fitness centers" I belonged to, as soon as I joined I was immediately and more or less mandatorially scheduled for a run-through on the Nautilus machine circuit with a PT, who recommended three sets of 10 on each machine in the circuit. So far as I recall, I wasn't asked about my goals and I wasn't told that different rep/set ranges would yield different results.

I expect they were trained to give everybody the same routine, because it standardized things.

Anyway, they're an easy target.