Race to perform a Muscle Up?

RuDOWN4It

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Anyone interested in a contest for muscle ups?

Would be short race for almost anyone on the board. How about a race to a 1 arm muscle up, ehh ehhh

Would be short race for almost anyone on the board. How about a race to a 1 arm muscle up, ehh ehhh

Really? I almost never see any threads or training logs with it so I didn't think anyone did it much.

For the people who are good at it, any advice on training?

Maybe you can do a contest to see how many muscle ups us sherdoggers can do in three minutes and the one with the most wins :p

I find these really hard on the elbows. Form is probably bad as I pretty much just winged it. Can only do 2 :p

If you are serious, let's do it man! At the very least, it'll motivate us to train harder.

What height/weight are you at?

I'm 5'8.5" & 183.4 as of 8.9.2010. I can do a bit more than 10 pull-ups and my old 1-RM is bw+70 Pull-up, current chin-up is BW+90. I want to get leaner so my bw when I do get a muscle up might be lower.

For the muscle up you need power and speed. So I've been doing super burpees, basically a burpee + pull-up. I've also done pull-ups with hand release and rebounds. to develop explosiveness. The next step for me is burpees w/ kipping muscle up (attempts). Once I get that down. I will finally aim for burpees w/ strict muscle ups.

^I'll post this in your training log if you have one.

I think just about anyone can do a muscle up if you're decently explosive and aren't too heavy (ie. you can do 8+ pull-ups). A big part of it is just learning the form/coordination. I was pretty much able to one the first time I tried, after 3 or 4 attempts.

one of the hardest things to adapt to is the false grip, once you have down you just have to shift your shoulders forward and you are pretty much there.

A decent trick to doing them is to start a step or so behind the bar, jump up to the bar momentum will carry you forward a bit and on the back swing pull up shift the shoulders forward at the peak keep your elbows tucked in and the rest is basically how well you can do a dip. There are few decent visuals of this on youtube.

I can do 18 pullups at once, powerclean 190 and weigh 145. I can't do a muscleup. :(

Are you talking explosive (leaves WAY more room to cheat) muscle-ups or slow/controlled/hard as fuck muscleups?

I just did a few muscle ups on a 6 foot bar initiating with a jump for the first time ever! =)

It was pretty ridiculous how it happened. I saw a friend doing calisthenics at the park and walked over to say whats up. Then I showed him how to do burpees, burpee pull-ups (super burpees) and burpee muscle-ups (super duper burpees)!

When I got to the top position of the muscle up I was completely shocked that I had did it. I was unable to do consecutive muscle-ups w/ leg drive (jump). However I was able to do a couple more muscle ups with about 3-5 minutes rest. I also showed him rocky push-ups and alternating plyometric wrist to hand push-ups.

@nhlkdog411 - My goal muscle-up is on 8 foot bar from a dead hang with no kipping. The concentric phase can/should be as fast as possible for power. If you do it slowly your probably building more strength.

Back