Race to perform a Muscle Up?

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by RuDOWN4It, Aug 9, 2010.

1. RuDOWN4It

RuDOWN4It Brown Belt

Anyone interested in a contest for muscle ups?

2. eastNYgoon138

eastNYgoon138 Green Belt

Would be short race for almost anyone on the board. How about a race to a 1 arm muscle up, ehh ehhh

3. RuDOWN4It

RuDOWN4It Brown Belt

Really? I almost never see any threads or training logs with it so I didn't think anyone did it much.

For the people who are good at it, any advice on training?

4. djm4791

djm4791 Yellow Belt

Maybe you can do a contest to see how many muscle ups us sherdoggers can do in three minutes and the one with the most wins :p

5. h7jb7sg1e

h7jb7sg1e Blue Belt

I'll race.

6. RuDOWN4It

RuDOWN4It Brown Belt

If you are serious, let's do it man! At the very least, it'll motivate us to train harder.

What height/weight are you at?

7. jzpowahz

jzpowahz White Belt

I find these really hard on the elbows. Form is probably bad as I pretty much just winged it. Can only do 2 :p

8. h7jb7sg1e

h7jb7sg1e Blue Belt

I'm 5'8.5" & 183.4 as of 8.9.2010. I can do a bit more than 10 pull-ups and my old 1-RM is bw+70 Pull-up, current chin-up is BW+90. I want to get leaner so my bw when I do get a muscle up might be lower.

For the muscle up you need power and speed. So I've been doing super burpees, basically a burpee + pull-up. I've also done pull-ups with hand release and rebounds. to develop explosiveness. The next step for me is burpees w/ kipping muscle up (attempts). Once I get that down. I will finally aim for burpees w/ strict muscle ups.

^I'll post this in your training log if you have one.

9. chia

chia POWER OF THE GLOW

I think just about anyone can do a muscle up if you're decently explosive and aren't too heavy (ie. you can do 8+ pull-ups). A big part of it is just learning the form/coordination. I was pretty much able to one the first time I tried, after 3 or 4 attempts.

10. SMillard

SMillard Red Belt

one of the hardest things to adapt to is the false grip, once you have down you just have to shift your shoulders forward and you are pretty much there.

A decent trick to doing them is to start a step or so behind the bar, jump up to the bar momentum will carry you forward a bit and on the back swing pull up shift the shoulders forward at the peak keep your elbows tucked in and the rest is basically how well you can do a dip. There are few decent visuals of this on youtube.

11. BrassBalls

BrassBalls Banned Banned

Here is some motivation for you guys.

12. Normot

Normot Yellow Card Yellow Card

I can do 18 pullups at once, powerclean 190 and weigh 145. I can't do a muscleup. :(

13. nhlkdog411

nhlkdog411 Green Belt

Are you talking explosive (leaves WAY more room to cheat) muscle-ups or slow/controlled/hard as fuck muscleups?

14. h7jb7sg1e

h7jb7sg1e Blue Belt

I just did a few muscle ups on a 6 foot bar initiating with a jump for the first time ever! =)

It was pretty ridiculous how it happened. I saw a friend doing calisthenics at the park and walked over to say whats up. Then I showed him how to do burpees, burpee pull-ups (super burpees) and burpee muscle-ups (super duper burpees)!

When I got to the top position of the muscle up I was completely shocked that I had did it. I was unable to do consecutive muscle-ups w/ leg drive (jump). However I was able to do a couple more muscle ups with about 3-5 minutes rest. I also showed him rocky push-ups and alternating plyometric wrist to hand push-ups.

@nhlkdog411 - My goal muscle-up is on 8 foot bar from a dead hang with no kipping. The concentric phase can/should be as fast as possible for power. If you do it slowly your probably building more strength.