Race to 1x Bodyweight SOHP

Im in.
I weigh 195 and Im doing 170Lb 5x5.
I'll try for the 195LB 1RM next time Im at the gym.

I'm far too much of a girly-man to take part in this competition. But it has inspired me: I thought a bodyweight Military Press was only possible for elite and/or Juiced lifters. I'm now going to make this one of my goals, though it's going to take a long time.

This is what I don't want. My bodyweight is 200lbs and I have a 150lbish press. Join the comp anyway.

For those of you who think you're too weak, read through the 'Race to 185 lbs SOHP' thread and see the starting maxes. Some are close to the goal, some are far. The point is to improve.

I'm far too much of a girly-man to take part in this competition. But it has inspired me: I thought a bodyweight Military Press was only possible for elite and/or Juiced lifters. I'm now going to make this one of my goals, though it's going to take a long time.

I love overhead work and I think it is a great goal to make. I assure you, even though I am not quite there yet, you can do it without "gear".

Im in.
I weigh 195 and Im doing 170Lb 5x5.
I'll try for the 195LB 1RM next time Im at the gym.

Good luck. You have a really good chance of hitting it. Don't forget to vid it.

I like this. I just started doing push presses on my bench day because I've been getting frustrated with static numbers on OHP. Hopefully this comp will help motivate me to press harder.

I'm currently about 185lbs and most recently did 120 x 8. I'll try to get some videos up whenever I can.

My Bad. I should have posted Overhead Press, not Military. Having read Rippetoe's article on the Press, I now understand that they are two different exercises.

One of the all-time classic Rippetoe quotes: "We just call it The Press, because how could you press without your shoulders? You could leg press...but that's just Gay."

I only weigh 130 and I'm fairly certain I can do that without much issue. i havn't tried maxing in a long time.

I hit 5x150lbs, 4x150lbs and 3x150lbs the other day; 3 set PR

Well I tried for the 195 and failed.I think I might be able to get in a few more weeks lol.

I put up 125 a couple weeks ago. Only 30 lbs to go if I don't gain any weight... Probably won't even reach 150 for a few months.

I'll edit the thread and post names when my dubs expire. Give it about two weeks.

Just to add onto this

I have started getting back into my lifting and have just been doing higher numbers to get used to the mechanics again.

Last week I got 57.5 for 10 reps without really struggling, today I managed 5 at 65 without struggling.

I weigh about 84-86 depending.

All of the above is Kg.

I should be good for bw pressing in a few months I think. Still, we'll see as my best froma few years ago was only 67.5 for 6 at about the same bw. Surprised it is so high with such minimal training again.
Too bad my squat and deadlift have declined so much (hence not updating my log).

BW 185 current SOHP PR: 135lbs x 1

Out in the field for all of next month. May be a while before I get 185.

1 oct 2010 i put up 160x1. been in and out of the field and going out again soon. going to be a min before i get the bw press.

Last edited:
Keep it coming, the point is to improve. If someone starts off at 100lbs x1 and ends up with a 200lbs x5 strict press at 220lbs bodyweight, even though its not 1x bodyweight that is still an awesome job!

Well, I guess a little bit of an update.

My BW is still roughly 168.

Last SOHP session, i got 135 for a set of 5, a set of 4 and a final set of 3. I'm thinking once I can press 155 for three sets of 5 across, I'll try 170. Hopefully that's still close to my BW haha.

Back