Race to 1x Bodyweight SOHP

Searcher

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
The rules are similar to the ones in here: http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f13/race-185-lbs-sohp-975407/

Rules --

Allowed -- Belt, chalk, wrist wraps, elbow sleeves, moderate layback, foot placement of your choosing, grip width of your choosing

Not allowed -- Leg drive

You may clean the bar or take it off the hooks in a power rack, but whichever option you choose for your starting 1 rep max has to be the same for your bodyweight press. So if you took your starting 1rm off the hooks, your bodyweight press has to be off hooks. If you did a clean and press as your starting 1rm, then you have to clean and press your bodyweight press.

Vids are required in this comp. This is to make it similar to Sherdog's Strongest Man thread and to make this thread more bad ass. If by popular demand people don't want vids, then the requirement will probably be waved. Vid of starting SOHP and ending BDW press and at least a pic of the scale reading.

The contest will end when everyone is finished. More will be added to this as time passes. Most info on the press is on the Race to 185 lbs. SOHP. I'll be finding new videos and adding articles too. If anyone wants to contribute any info, feel free to do so.

Now, we need some competitors. Who wants in?

Article by the late Carnal, has really good info: Power and Bulk :: View topic - Rambling about training

This thread has at least two articles and some advice: http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f13/bill-starr-stronger-press-1218927/

Read through this thread too! Race to 185 lbs. SOHP - Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Article by Charles Poliquin: The Case for the Overhead Press

Power and Bulk :: View topic - Free Book on The Press

Last edited:
whichever option you choose for your starting 1 rep max has to be the same for your bodyweight press.

I'm not sure if I understand what this means.

I'll be in once I finish the 185 challenge, which I think I'll hit in 3 weeks. At that point, I'll be chasing a 220 OHP for bodyweight. It's possible I can hit that by the end of the year, since I'm new to treating the Press with the holiness that it deserves, so I should have some room to grow into it.

I'm not sure if I understand what this means.

I'll be in once I finish the 185 challenge, which I think I'll hit in 3 weeks. At that point, I'll be chasing a 220 OHP for bodyweight. It's possible I can hit that by the end of the year, since I'm new to treating the Press with the holiness that it deserves, so I should have some room to grow into it.

This confused me too. I think he just means if your starting lift is with a clean you have to eand with a clean, if it is from the rack, you have to end using the rack.

I hope we know if this takes off by tomorrow. If it does I am going to start running smolov jr for sohp.

I edited in a clarification. There are at least a couple of press articles I want to stick in when I'm free.

You may clean the bar or take it off the hooks in a power rack, but whichever option you choose for your starting 1 rep max has to be the same for your bodyweight press. So if you took your starting 1rm off the hooks, your bodyweight press has to be off hooks. If you did a clean and press as your starting 1rm, then you have to clean and press your bodyweight press.

I understand the rule now, though I'm not sure I understand why.

How you got your 1RM today shouldn't have anything to do with how you manage to press your bodyweight for contest purposes, unless we're looking at total improvement, in which case I think we should all agree that it's a lot easier to pull a bar off of hooks than to clean it.

I'll be interested in taking part in this.

Current BW: 165-168
Current Press: Never attempted a 1rm yet, but most recent workout had me doing 120x5/4/3.

I understand the rule now, though I'm not sure I understand why.

How you got your 1RM today shouldn't have anything to do with how you manage to press your bodyweight for contest purposes, unless we're looking at total improvement, in which case I think we should all agree that it's a lot easier to pull a bar off of hooks than to clean it.

It was on the rules in the Race to 185 lbs. SOHP, so I left it in. It would be easier to pull off hooks. I can speculate that the reason was to prevent a false sense of improvement by taking a 1rm one way (say clean and press), and testing it another way (like from the top to get a stretch reflex). Its just there to show definite improvement and consistency.

I JUST started doing this lift and as a result can only press 120 pounds (I walk at 165)

Needless to say I am in.

oh and btw still working on my dunk!

I JUST started doing this lift and as a result can only press 120 pounds (I walk at 165)

Needless to say I am in.

oh and btw still working on my dunk!

I always forget to check my vert. before I squat, but last time I was around a 24-26" vert. and about 4 inches from the rim.

I do plan on starting that up, but I keep forgeting to get a good baseline.

There are already really good videos and info in the race to 185lb SOHP.

But since I weigh less than 185 lbs, Then I guess I'm in for this one.
Bw= Around 155
1rm= Around 120/125

I'm only lifting overhead once a week though.

It was on the rules in the Race to 185 lbs. SOHP, so I left it in. It would be easier to pull off hooks. I can speculate that the reason was to prevent a false sense of improvement by taking a 1rm one way (say clean and press), and testing it another way (like from the top to get a stretch reflex). Its just there to show definite improvement and consistency.

That's exactly right. I developed the rules for the 185 lbs. SOHP contest and I thought it was best to specify "must do lift same way" because otherwise you have the potential for people mixing apples 'n' oranges.

I'm in

current bodyweight: approx 195lbs
current SOHP: 3x5x145lbs

I'll test my max soon and post a vid of my starting SOHP along with a pic of my scale weight

Seems great - i'm in, mostly because this will motivate me to start troubleshooting the OHP like i do my other lifts. I do BJJ and am constantly told that i have "strong shoulders" whatever that means in BJJ context, but my OHP is fucking measly. Question: i bulk and cut in periods. If i get my OHP up whilst bulking, and then get my bodyweight down to where i can OHP it, does it count? hope the question isn't weirdly worded.

Body weight: 83 kgs
Current 1RM: 55 kgs (and if a fly landed on the bar whilst i was doing it, the bar would have come crashing down on my head)

I'm definitely in.

Current BW is 215lbs.

Current best OHP is 130x6 (projected at 151).

EDIT:

Here's my starting press. Excuse the poor quality, it was night and I have a cheap ass camera. Final vid will be better quality.

Last edited:
Ahh perfect, just did this today.

current bw: 163lb

current press: 145lb x 4

Another question: is it permissible to push press the bar to the top position, and then do one strict rep as your 1RM attempt? It is easier to not start the bar from your chest...

I'm in.

BW:160lbs
SOHP: 120lbs

Only started doing them recently.

Back