Quiz: Who was the last white American lineal boxing world champion before Kelly Pavlik?

codfather

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Billy Backus, a southpaw New Yorker who lost the lineal welterweight title to Cuban Hall of Famer Jose Napoles in 1971.

oh derp, AMERICAN.

White Americans don't go to boxing gyms when they are kids in any comparable number to Hispanics or African Americans.

Even in cities that are predominantly white boxing gyms usually won't be predominantly white.

Who cares anyway stop race baiting op

Last edited:
White Americans don't go to boxing gyms as kids in any comparable number.

Even in cities that are predominantly white boxing gyms usually won't be.

Are you not the guy who complained about grammar?

Billy Backus, a southpaw New Yorker who lost the lineal welterweight title to Cuban Hall of Famer Jose Napoles in 1971.

How odd. This is the second time this week that Backus has come up in conversation here in this forum.
Billy was my boss when I used to work for the NYSAC as an inspector. I enjoyed my time working with him. He's a hell of a nice guy.
A hell of a good fighter too back in his day. Although his career was really before my time. I only got to see his final fight when I was a kid. That was when he attempted to regain the welterweight title from Pipino Cuevas in 1978. Unfortunately, Billy was well past his prime at the time & the power punching Cuevas dropped him in the first round with a left hook that broke his eye socket. So, he had to retire in his corner.

Billy & I in Rochester, NY in 1988.
IMG_20170927_150837.jpg

I thought it was gonna be Mancini once Arguello moved up in weight, but the lineal title was considered vacant.

Before Plant, who was the last white American Champ in any division?
I know theyre had to be someone outside of Pavlick

Paulie is clearly 100% moop

Before Plant, who was the last white American Champ in any division?
I know theyre had to be someone outside of Pavlick
Does David Lemieux count? is american north american or usa?

Trace poverty and you'll see where the representation by population comes from in boxing.

Not. That. Hard.

Back