Quitting smoking

If you enjoy it, quitting is gonna be a bitch. I smoked half a pack for 10 years and quit for four or five, then started up for a few months and stopped again. Now if I HAVE to have a smoke, I buy a pack, pull one out, MAYBE two, and toss the rest. Sounds fucky but it makes me think about if I need it THAT bad that I have to buy one cigarette for $6. I've actually thought twice when wanting one now.

I'm wanting to quit smoking on my Christmas break. I tried to quit before my first semester started, but I made friends with a smoker and it was all downhill from there.

My gums feel pretty gross now though, and I have been smoking less recently. I have about half a pack left so I hope that's it.

Quitting cigs is way hard but you will feel tons better (psychically and mentally) if you can get off them.

Are you a smoker? Have you ever been a smoker?

Pack a day for almost thirty years.

I've quit a few times before, twice using the patch, once cold turkey. Usually stayed quit one to five years.

I quit again six weeks ago, this time using nicotine spray. I found it a lot easier on the patch. The fact it was a constant level of nicotine in my system made it a lot easier to avoid thinking about smoking.

Look, your theory, as you've described it here, is absolute rubbish. It's fairy-tale nonsense. Don't take my word for it, talk to a doctor, explain to him how you don't think nicotine is addictive, how smoking is just a habit easily replaced with another habit like chewing gum.

I've met people who have been able to quit cold turkey and made it look easy. You say you have done the same. You and the others are in the minority. That's not how it works for the vast majority of smokers.

I've met people who have been able to quit cold turkey and made it look easy. You say you have done the same. You and the others are in the minority. That's not how it works for the vast majority of smokers.

Do you have any statistics at all to prove people quitting without substitutes isn't as effective as people quitting with them?

Do you have any statistics at all to prove people quitting without substitutes isn't as effective as people quitting with them?

Sure do, just like I know you might be part of the 20% of the population that has the mutated FAAH gene, which could explain why for you it's "just a habit".

Not going to dig them up for you though, all you have to do is spend a few seconds looking, because there are a ton of them. Pretty sure you don't care about what's true here, so I'm not going to waste my time posting links to why the sky appears blue when you can just Google it.

Sure do, just like I know you might be part of the 20% of the population that has the mutated FAAH gene, which could explain why for you it's "just a habit".

Not going to dig them up for you though, all you have to do is spend a few seconds looking, because there are a ton of them. Pretty sure you don't care about what's true here, so I'm not going to waste my time posting links to why the sky appears blue when you can just Google it.

In other words, nope. You've got nothing.

Here ya go, though:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/03/15/health/quit-smoking-cold-turkey/

I will admit that the health community has conflicting reports on the best method to quit. However, don't make some definitive claim like you've done research on the subject, and aren't even willing to provide one goddamn source on the matter.

It's conflicting, but certainly nowhere near as cut and dry as you make it out to be.

In other words, nope. You've got nothing.

Here ya go, though:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/03/15/health/quit-smoking-cold-turkey/

I will admit that the health community has conflicting reports on the best method to quit. However, don't make some definitive claim like you've done research on the subject, and aren't even willing to provide one goddamn source on the matter.

It's conflicting, but certainly nowhere near as cut and dry as you make it out to be.

Yeah, it's not like I went to a doctor for advice on quitting and was given his professional opinion. Oh wait, I did that, before consulting my father, who is also a doctor, who gave me the same advice, and told me the same things regarding my best chances for quitting.

And it's not like the ACA has anything to say on the subject. Oh wait, they do.

The nicotine in cigarettes leads to actual physical dependence. This can cause unpleasant withdrawal symptoms when a person tries to quit. Nicotine replacement therapy (NRT) gives you nicotine – in the form of gums, patches, sprays, inhalers, or lozenges – but not the other harmful chemicals in tobacco. NRT can help relieve some of the physical withdrawal symptoms so that you can focus on the psychological (emotional) aspects of quitting. Many studies have shown using NRT can nearly double the chances of quitting with success.
That took me five seconds to find and I'm sure you already saw it before posting your link.

Look, your position since the start has been that nicotine isn't addictive. That smoking is just a habit, like chewing gum. Clearly, your opinion is bad.

Yeah, it's not like I went to a doctor for advice on quitting and was given his professional opinion. Oh wait, I did that, before consulting my father, who is also a doctor, who gave me the same advice, and told me the same things regarding my best chances for quitting.

And it's not like the ACA has anything to say on the subject. Oh wait, they do.

The nicotine in cigarettes leads to actual physical dependence. This can cause unpleasant withdrawal symptoms when a person tries to quit. Nicotine replacement therapy (NRT) gives you nicotine – in the form of gums, patches, sprays, inhalers, or lozenges – but not the other harmful chemicals in tobacco. NRT can help relieve some of the physical withdrawal symptoms so that you can focus on the psychological (emotional) aspects of quitting. Many studies have shown using NRT can nearly double the chances of quitting with success.
That took me five seconds to find and I'm sure you already saw it before posting your link.

Look, your position since the start has been that nicotine isn't addictive. That smoking is just a habit, like chewing gum. Clearly, your opinion is bad.

And about the vast amount of conflicting reports/studies that disagree with your doctor and daddy?

And about the vast amount of conflicting reports/studies that disagree with your doctor and daddy?

This is why I didn't want to bother posting a link, because that would just lead to you asking for more links, I'm sure you know better than the ACA.

You don't care about what's true, you just want to fight. Jesus, even the guys in your own link used NRT.

But even the abrupt-quit group was not exactly going it alone. The researchers gave them nicotine patches to use for two weeks before their quit day.

Say it again so you can't pretend this wasn't your position:

Nicotine isn't addictive. Smoking is just a habit like chewing gum.​

I know it sounds stupid as hell, but that's your position.

"You're not addicted to nicotine, you're addicted to the process."

I know it sounds stupid as hell, but that's your position.

"You're not addicted to nicotine, you're addicted to the process."

Yes. You're addicted to smoking. Not nicotine. They do go hand in hand, no doubt, but my position is that you are more addicted to the process, and not the drug. Hell, even you have admitted to relapsing with use of a substitute, so how effective is it really? I'm not ignoring my own relapses with no substitutes either. With both of our experiences, both methods have an equal measure of success.

The only reason we went back, is for lack of a better term, mental weakness. Not any sort of dependence on the drug. How can you say your method is better for quitting, when it has proven by your own account, to be not that successful in the long term?

Yes. You're addicted to smoking. Not nicotine. They do go hand in hand, no doubt, but my position is that you are more addicted to the process, and not the drug. Hell, even you have admitted to relapsing with use of a substitute, so how effective is it really? I'm not ignoring my own relapses with no substitutes either. With both of our experiences, both methods have an equal measure of success.

The only reason we went back, is for lack of a better term, mental weakness. Not any sort of dependence on the drug. How can you say your method is better for quitting, when it has proven by your own account, to be not that successful in the long term?

I'm saying that most people are likely to be successful in quitting using an aid, but that isn't the discussion here.

The discussion is that you don't think nicotine is addictive.

Go ahead and provide links showing nicotine is not addictive.

I never said that I didn't enjoy smoking, and that there isn't a strong psychological component. That component has actually been classified a mental illness, and it's as hard to beat as the physical addiction, if not harder. I never said it wasn't.

You, on the other hand, laughed at the evil nicotine molecule and said it wasn't addictive.

Still waiting for you to post proof of this.

Expecting you to talk about literally anything else.

I'm saying that most people are likely to be successful in quitting using an aid, but that isn't the discussion here.

No, no, no. It is the discussion, and both the addictive qualities of nicotine, and methods of quitting are related. I'm not saying nicotine isn't addictive. I'm arguing the level of addiction. I do not believe it's as addictive as it's been sold to the public, and that addiction to smoking falls mostly at the feet of the individual.

The discussion is that you don't think nicotine is addictive.

Go ahead and provide links showing nicotine is not addictive.

There are many.

Since you like Google so much, type in "Is nicotine addiction a myth?". Do some reading. Many articles. Many experts.

If you don't already, sign up for BJJ, Muay Thai or something.
1. It'll give you a reason not to smoke
2. It'll keep your mind off it.
3. It'll be good to get your cardio and health back.

Hey guys I am trying to quit smoking. Currently a little under a pack a day I ha e quit in the past and ha e many reasons to now.
I really enjoy smoking and my hardest time is when I am waiting somewhere or bored.
I am looking for suggestions and tips with what worked for others and what hasnt worked

Vapeorizer if you can get the "Puff" right. By that I mean if you tune it so it "feels" the same on the throat.

No, no, no. It is the discussion, and both the addictive qualities of nicotine, and methods of quitting are related. I'm not saying nicotine isn't addictive. I'm arguing the level of addiction. I do not believe it's as addictive as it's been sold to the public, and that addiction to smoking falls mostly at the feet of the individual.

There are many.

Since you like Google so much, type in "Is nicotine addiction a myth?". Do some reading. Many articles. Many experts.

I Googled that exact string and this is what I found

Myth: I can quit smoking without using NRTs.
Fact: You probably can quit smoking without the help of NRTs. But most smokers who try to quit light up again - most of them within a week after quitting.

If you're like most smokers, you will most likely need help to quit for good. NRTs have a proven track record of success and can double your chances of quitting. In fact, your best bet may be to combine NRTs with a quit-smoking program or other support. Studies show that this combination ups your chance of succeeding. NRTs can help with your physical dependence on nicotine. Support can help with your emotional and mental dependence on the drug.

Myth: If I use NRTs, I won't have any withdrawal symptoms.
Fact: Nicotine replacement therapies can ease withdrawal symptoms. However, they probably won't stop them completely. When you stop smoking, you deprive your body of a drug it is used to getting. This causes withdrawal symptoms, such as feeling anxious, irritable, restless or depressed. Other symptoms include headaches, increased appetite and trouble concentrating or sleeping. These symptoms are why many people start smoking again.

For most people, withdrawal symptoms are strongest in the first week. Nicotine replacement therapies can help ease the symptoms and help you stay on the path of being smoke-free.​

I used to be a former smoker, but for only 4 years, I had a harder time putting down smokeless tobacco, my best advice for you is to just realize the best you can about how harmful it is to you, a lot of people don't realize the long term effects. My former doctor that I went to told me that it was unreal how many people he has diagnosed with lung cancer that are smokers. And this is in a small rural area.

I Googled that exact string and this is what I found

Myth: I can quit smoking without using NRTs.
Fact: You probably can quit smoking without the help of NRTs. But most smokers who try to quit light up again - most of them within a week after quitting.

If you're like most smokers, you will most likely need help to quit for good. NRTs have a proven track record of success and can double your chances of quitting. In fact, your best bet may be to combine NRTs with a quit-smoking program or other support. Studies show that this combination ups your chance of succeeding. NRTs can help with your physical dependence on nicotine. Support can help with your emotional and mental dependence on the drug.

Myth: If I use NRTs, I won't have any withdrawal symptoms.
Fact: Nicotine replacement therapies can ease withdrawal symptoms. However, they probably won't stop them completely. When you stop smoking, you deprive your body of a drug it is used to getting. This causes withdrawal symptoms, such as feeling anxious, irritable, restless or depressed. Other symptoms include headaches, increased appetite and trouble concentrating or sleeping. These symptoms are why many people start smoking again.

For most people, withdrawal symptoms are strongest in the first week. Nicotine replacement therapies can help ease the symptoms and help you stay on the path of being smoke-free.​

LOL

Dude, I have Google. I know that you're picking and choosing whatever suits your argument.

Whatever though. We'll agree to disagree on this.

vape....sure you'll look like a neckbeard but you wont spend as much money. well you will for the inital set up but i digress

quit and don't be an asshole that vapes. it's incredibly obnoxious especially in non smoking places.

imagine your life possibly being cut short 1or 2 or 3 decades because of smoking...heart disease and cancers are just a couple.

just quit

Back