Quitting smoking

I was sarcastically saying that nicotine is "insanely addictive". It's not. Smoking is. The routine. Like I said though, there is little physical consequence to quitting. One of the most effective ways to quit smoking is cold turkey. Not these fucking substitutes they're selling everyone. Just quit. You'll be fine. It's hard to quit because of the routine, and of course the physical effects of smoking.

If nicotine was the problem, why do they give it to you to help you quit? Because it isn't the problem. Smoking is. They just want to sell you a different idea/habit. The idea that you need that crap to quit smoking. You don't.

I don't think you know what you're talking about as far as nicotine. Smoking provides nicotine addiction and fixation issues. Nicotine is highly addictive. Smoking as a habit is tough to kick for the routines you get into.

Yeah, it isn't heroin.

Hard to wrap my head around you saying nicotine is insanely addictive and saying then people aren't addicted to the nicotine.

I think it's because you're wrong, and giving some pretty bad advice.

yeah, it's awful advice.

I smoked for 17 years, between half a pack and a pack and a half a day for most of it. Tried quitting several times, cold turkey, gum, chew, etc (this is before vaping), always went back to it after a few weeks. The time that took wasn't even intentional, I ran out of smokes, had a really busy shift and never had a chance to get more, didn't even realize until I got home from work that i had gone 14 hours without and hadn't killed anyone. Second day I just decided to see how long I could go before I broke down, went the whole day. After the third day I decided I was actually making a go of it. The hardest parts for me were the association with a coffee or with a beer. Once I got past that it was smooth sailing. 11 years later and I'm still good, never crave it, hate the smell of it.

Key is the timing needs to be right for you, no one else can tell you when to quit.

Vivid dreams. I had the occasional nightmare that rocked me to the core, but most of the dreams were fantastic.

I actually enjoy nightmares but I also have night terrors and sleep paralysis at times. Different level of nightmare there. No thank you. I'll take 'naked in English class' over 'I'm going to die, this is the end for me' any day.

solid advice.

TS - get the patch. Deal with the side effects as they come. It's rough but it's possible. It's been 7 years since I smoked a cigarette after smoking every day for 22 years or so. It's not impossible it's just really fucking hard. The first 3 days are the worst so plan accordingly. Stay busy. You'll probably gain weight. I started replacing the oral fixation bork1} with lolipops then moved on to sugarless gum. I also quit drinking the first month or so when I stopped. Didn't quit smoking weed though. Somebody mentioned that you have to be ready to quit and that's a fact.

patch it up bud. good luck.
I need an alcohol patch. Not to quit, I just really like being drunk.

When a higher % of you wants to quit as opposed to the % that wants to smoke, you'll quit.

I smoked and wanted to quit and finally did when 90% of me wanted to quit. That 10% of me that wanted it stood no chance.

Be honest with yourself, what are your percentages right now TS?

Probably 75 or 80 atm

I don't think you know what you're talking about as far as nicotine. Smoking provides nicotine addiction and fixation issues. Nicotine is highly addictive. Smoking as a habit is tough to kick for the routines you get into.

Not saying it isn't a part of the problem, but it isn't the crux of the problem. I believe it's more of an excuse. The problem is that smoking is enjoyable, and you like it. The nicotine might be part of that enjoyment, but it doesn't stop anyone from quitting. It really doesn't. The routine stops people from quitting, and I don't believe the routine s caused by nicotine.

There aren't extreme consequences from quitting. Your body doesn't need or crave nicotine on any significant level. Your mind craves the routine. Change the routine. You won't die. You won't even get the least bit sick. You'll just not have a cigarette.

Not saying it isn't a part of the problem, but it isn't the crux of the problem. I believe it's more of an excuse. The problem is that smoking is enjoyable, and you like it. The nicotine might be part of that enjoyment, but it doesn't stop anyone from quitting. It really doesn't. The routine stops people from quitting, and I don't believe the routine s caused by nicotine.

There aren't extreme consequences from quitting. Your body doesn't need or crave nicotine on any significant level. Your mind craves the routine. Change the routine. You won't die. You won't even get the least bit sick. You'll just not have a cigarette.

no. You're in the ballpark until you say the body doesn't crave nicotine. It's very addictive. I kicked the habit using the patch because it allowed me to combat my routines and quirks that I'd picked up during years of smoking but the physical addiction is what made me close to becoming violent.

Probably 75 or 80 atm
Keep hating it. I loved to smoke in the morning and late at night. Once I visualized me ending the night eating yogurt and waking up running those became my new habit.

When you do quit replace smoking with other things immediately. I did and IMAO that is why I made it.

no. You're in the ballpark until you say the body doesn't crave nicotine. It's very addictive. I kicked the habit using the patch because it allowed me to combat my routines and quirks that I'd picked up during years of smoking but the physical addiction is what made me close to becoming violent.

You combated your routine. Not the patch.

That's just my opinion though. If it worked for you, that's all that matters.

What if TS develops the habit of shoving ice up his ass?
HkHc1Vc.gif

You combated your routine. Not the patch.

That's just my opinion though. If it worked for you, that's all that matters.

No that's right but the patch provided the nicotine while I concentrated on the other aspects of smoking addiction. Then you step down to less nicotine patches until you go without.

I was a heavy smoker throughout college, quit when I turned 23, was then a heavy weed smoker, stopped smoking cigs for 6 years, had to recently quit thr weedz for the new job, picked up cigs again, don't smoke the weed too all that much anymore but am back to 10+ cigs a day and don't mind staying this way.

If you drink, have fun quitting smoking...

I was sarcastically saying that nicotine is "insanely addictive". It's not. Smoking is. The routine. Like I said though, there is little physical consequence to quitting. One of the most effective ways to quit smoking is cold turkey. Not these fucking substitutes they're selling everyone. Just quit. You'll be fine. It's hard to quit because of the routine, and of course the physical effects of smoking.

If nicotine was the problem, why do they give it to you to help you quit? Because it isn't the problem. Smoking is. They just want to sell you a different idea/habit. The idea that you need that crap to quit smoking. You don't.

They give it to you to help you quit because they gradually reduce the dose over time, because that's much easier than just stopping. The percentage of people who succeed in quitting without using an aid plummets, there have been numerous third party studies. Nicotine is fiercely addictive and alters the dopamine pathways of the brain.

The patch and similar products aren't trying to sell you different habits, they come with built in limits. You are told in no uncertain terms that use is limited and not to exceed a certain amount of time, and you are advised to consult with a doctor before use. Two months and done for this type of aid.

I would have agreed with you a few years back but at this point of my life i couldn't disagree more. Sure you will have the easiest time quitting cigarettes but in my opinion vaping facilitates an even deeper addiction. I am deeply regretting ever touching an ecig, It's harder to break this habit then cigarettes.

@kicks If i were you i would just quit cold turkey and pick up some patches to tide you over while you break the ritual. After a solid week or so of not smoking ween yourself off of the patches. Give yourself a deadline (2 weeks or a month)
Thats what im gonna try to do.
agreed on quitting vaping being a hassle. im down to 0mg of nicotine but love the flavors so i just vape to be obnoxious. not as much as i used to tho.

everyone I know that quit just simply stopped smoking .. I don't smoke myself so I can't give any personal advice

I usually drink very heavily 3-4 times a week. It's a problem. I'm defintely an alcoholic. Ive been able to quit everything else and believe me I've been on everything at one time or another except heroin.

How do you feel on the days you don't drink?

They give it to you to help you quit because they gradually reduce the dose over time, because that's much easier than just stopping. The percentage of people who succeed in quitting without using an aid plummets, there have been numerous third party studies. Nicotine is fiercely addictive and alters the dopamine pathways of the brain.

The patch and similar products aren't trying to sell you different habits, they come with built in limits. You are told in no uncertain terms that use is limited and not to exceed a certain amount of time, and you are advised to consult with a doctor before use. Two months and done for this type of aid.

Are you a smoker? Have you ever been a smoker?

Back