Quitting smoking

kicks

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Hey guys I am trying to quit smoking. Currently a little under a pack a day I ha e quit in the past and ha e many reasons to now.
I really enjoy smoking and my hardest time is when I am waiting somewhere or bored.
I am looking for suggestions and tips with what worked for others and what hasnt worked

vape....sure you'll look like a neckbeard but you wont spend as much money. well you will for the inital set up but i digress

I don't know you but from my experiece, if you don't really want to quit smoking, you're almost guaranteed not to.

If you enjoy it that much, try and make it a 'treat' instead of something that you're doing out of habit.

Have a smoke when you drink or after a good meal or after lunch. Just limit yourself, no sense in denying yourself something if you really enjoy it.

I don't know you but from my experiece, if you don't really want to quit smoking, you're almost guaranteed not to.

If you enjoy it that much, try and make it a 'treat' instead of something that you're doing out of habit.

Have a smoke when you drink or after a good meal or after lunch. Just limit yourself, no sense in denying yourself something if you really enjoy it.

this is good advice. i treat smoking just like you mentioned. after a few drinks, i'll have one. but that's it. smoking to me is a lot like drinking. the more you do it, the higher a tolerance you have to it and the more you'll need to do to achieve the same feeling. stick to a certain amount, and don't go above it.

if you tell yourself that you can never have something, the more you'll think about wanting to do it. don't deprive yourself of it, barring something insane like heroin.

That's where I'm at. A couple a day. Sometimes a few more, sometimes none.

TS: Try counter-conditioning. Every time you have a smoke do something you don't enjoy as well. Like putting an icecube up your bum. Then your mind will associate that smoke craving with icecube butt, and you won't want it anymore.

I don't have any advice other than to get your "v" key fixed.

I agree and don't want to say this is the last smoke I will ever have.
Problem is its causing some minor health problems plus wife has asthma she is also quitting and I can buy a new truck which I need badly

That's where I'm at. A couple a day. Sometimes a few more, sometimes none.

TS: Try counter-conditioning. Every time you have a smoke do something you don't enjoy as well. Like putting an icecube up your bum. Then your mind will associate that smoke craving with icecube butt, and you won't want it anymore.
Ha ha Ice cube butt is a little extreme for me but I might do something a little unpleasant

My steps for quitting

1. Stop buying cigs, bum the off people.

2. Don't smoke a whole cig. Put it out and smoke it later. It will taste bad. Mentally use that.

3. Smoke a bowl hit of weed when you're craving

4. Stay away from alcohol and anything stress related

5. Lollipop or gum

vape....sure you'll look like a neckbeard but you wont spend as much money. well you will for the inital set up but i digress
I would have agreed with you a few years back but at this point of my life i couldn't disagree more. Sure you will have the easiest time quitting cigarettes but in my opinion vaping facilitates an even deeper addiction. I am deeply regretting ever touching an ecig, It's harder to break this habit then cigarettes.

@kicks If i were you i would just quit cold turkey and pick up some patches to tide you over while you break the ritual. After a solid week or so of not smoking ween yourself off of the patches. Give yourself a deadline (2 weeks or a month)
Thats what im gonna try to do.

When a higher % of you wants to quit as opposed to the % that wants to smoke, you'll quit.

I smoked and wanted to quit and finally did when 90% of me wanted to quit. That 10% of me that wanted it stood no chance.

Be honest with yourself, what are your percentages right now TS?

Last edited:
I quit again about six weeks ago, was smoking about a pack a day.

Method doesn't matter that much, it's mostly about attitude. If you honestly want to quit, you can. If you're not sure, you'll fail.

For what it's worth, I quit using this. Haven't had any problems, it's been smooth sailing, except I put on weight, which I'll lose once smoking is completely behind me.

2rdeq1l.png

When a higher % of you wants to quit as opposed to the % that wants to smoke, you'll quit.

I smoked and wanted to quit and finally did when 90% of me wanted to quit. That 10% of me that wanted it stood no chance.

Be honest with yourself, what are percentages right now TS?

This is pretty accurate.

If you kind of want to quit, you'll fail. If you really want to quit, you have a chance.

My steps for quitting

1. Stop buying cigs, bum the off people.

2. Don't smoke a whole cig. Put it out and smoke it later. It will taste bad. Mentally use that.

3. Smoke a bowl hit of weed when you're craving

4. Stay away from alcohol and anything stress related

5. Lollipop or gum

Maybe it worked for you, but roasting some dank hydro just makes me want more smoke in my lungs. That said, I used to roll spliffs, so I think it might depend on your methodology.

I'll add to 5 sunflower seeds, because they have a ton of salt and dehydration negates wanting cigs. A less healthy option, however.

A guy I used to work with always has a styrofoam cup with diet soda and crushed ice and it works for him.

I don't have any advice other than to get your "v" key fixed.

solid advice.

TS - get the patch. Deal with the side effects as they come. It's rough but it's possible. It's been 7 years since I smoked a cigarette after smoking every day for 22 years or so. It's not impossible it's just really fucking hard. The first 3 days are the worst so plan accordingly. Stay busy. You'll probably gain weight. I started replacing the oral fixation bork1} with lolipops then moved on to sugarless gum. I also quit drinking the first month or so when I stopped. Didn't quit smoking weed though. Somebody mentioned that you have to be ready to quit and that's a fact.

patch it up bud. good luck.

I quit cold turkey. 3 years strong.

if I remember correctly you said you quit meth cold turkey too, yeah? That's not the norm bud. You're a different kind of addict, I'd say. Unless you're bullshitting us of course. ;)

never really tried quitting before, the only times i really take of smoking is when i am sick and still thats a far fetch. ill be there with a flu, sever head ache and already coughing and spluttering my guts out coz my body is crook, and ill be like hey this is a good time to have a cigarette.

so ive been smoking since 2004 when i was 16 back then it was like 4 a day so a 25 pack would last a week, over the years specially in uni i started pushing 1 pack a day. now i but 30 packs so i dont feel like i am a pack a day smoker. thats 12 years non stop for me now.

if I remember correctly you said you quit meth cold turkey too, yeah? That's not the norm bud. You're a different kind of addict, I'd say. Unless you're bullshitting us of course. ;)

Yeh well I can't seem to quit alcohol.

Back