Quitting on the stool...

Was going to say this one.For those that don't know,that's Norman Paraisy or however it's spelled.He was like...people say French people have no heart,i'm going to show everyone that we all have heart and i'm going to prove it.This gif is after the first round where he refused to get up and come out for the 2nd despite his coaches literally trying to drag him up (iirc).He said a lot of stuff and then quit.I never liked that guy from even before the show,so for me it was kinda funny and certainly ironic.

What's your most memorable fighter that quit on the stool?

Roberto Duran, though I suppose that wasn't actually on the stool. On the stool BJ against GSP.

Still, I blame the corners for most of those - though not Duran, he was losing on points but not being hit hard. There must of been something else going on with him. A fighter who's at the point of quitting on the stool has usually taken a huge beating, and his corner should quit for him. Frazier-Ali 3 comes to mind - Frazier's corner pulled him, though Frazier wanted to go back in. Both of their corner's should have pulled them actually, both took horrible damage that followed them the rest of their lives.

CB quit between rounds against Murtazaliev....

After being left to die by Herb Dean.

I forget his name but the guy with the big afro on ultimate fighter when it was chuck and tito coaching

Reminds me of the time when I was celebrating when I bet $400 on Tim Kennedy vs Yoel romero after the 2nd round (he's done and wont answer the bell). Until 40 seconds later when Yoel cleaned his clock. All my parlays for the night riding on that Kennedy stoolgate win. $650 down the drain. Yea that sucked.

10x the heart of most fighters, but still only half the heart of Sakuraba
nah, same heart, they both gave us 90mns and cemented their legacy there for us. SAKU G. wouldnt be GOAT without Hoyce.

Roberto Duran, though I suppose that wasn't actually on the stool. On the stool BJ against GSP.

Still, I blame the corners for most of those - though not Duran, he was losing on points but not being hit hard. There must of been something else going on with him. A fighter who's at the point of quitting on the stool has usually taken a huge beating, and his corner should quit for him. Frazier-Ali 3 comes to mind - Frazier's corner pulled him, though Frazier wanted to go back in. Both of their corner's should have pulled them actually, both took horrible damage that followed them the rest of their lives.
Duran´s case is indeed different...

Last edited:
nah, same heart, they both gave us 90mns and cemented their legacy there for us. SAKU G. wouldnt be GOAT without Hoyce.

Hoyce feeling the need to have the testosterone of 20 men for the hematch takes away from it in my eyes

No disrespect to Hoyce but he doesn't have Saku's heart

Why is Raquel Pennington in the video tumbnail? She didn't quit on the stool.

She said she is done and her corner helped her get back in there yes; but she still could have stood there or tell the referee she doesn't wanna fight. But instead she kept on fighting and thats what matters. Neither the referee or the cornerman are forcing the fighters to keep fighting. When it came down to it, Raquel chose to fight

Hoyce feeling the need to have the testosterone of 20 men for the hematch takes away from it in my eyes

No disrespect to Hoyce but he doesn't have Saku's heart
was in an other fight...

Last edited:
was in another fight...

I know, it still happened though

And it showed to me, a lack of heart. Being unwilling to face a rival you went 90 minutes with on an even playing field

I know, it still happened though

And it showed to me, a lack of heart. Being unwilling to face a rival you went 90 minutes with on an even playing field
2nd fight is irrelevant, Hoyce was already past his physical prime in the 1st, and the 2nd fight had a 'normal' fight configuration, not an ATG Vale Tudo one

2nd fight is irrelevant, Hoyce was already past his physical prime in the 1st, and the 2nd fight had a 'normal' fight configuration, not an ATG Vale Tudo one

It's not irrelevant. He cheated against his greatest rival. That takes away from the heart he showed in the first fight because he wasn't willing to fight him fairly the second time. Whether he was afraid of losing or afraid of Sakuraba he gave into his fear and cheated when Saku did not

It's not irrelevant. He cheated against his greatest rival. That takes away from the heart he showed in the first fight because he wasn't willing to fight him fairly the second time. Whether he was afraid of losing or afraid of Sakuraba he gave into his fear and cheated when Saku did not
a matter of perspective, I stop seeing relevance when the fighter is way past his prime...

Back