Quit Smoking - Cardio Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by The_Dane, May 8, 2008.

1. The_Dane Guest

I just quit smoking and I need some suggestions on things to really help me get my cardio back. Even when I was smoking I was still playing hockey and working out so it is not bad but I would really like to step it up now. I am looking for suggestions and help. Thanks!

2. ronin0352 Lift, Eat, Sleep, Repeat

Ya gotta give a little more info to work with. "not too bad" is a very subjective phrase. Does that mean you can run 5 miles without keeling over dead, or 100m? Can you swim 3 laps without stopping to catch your breath or a mile?

3. The_Dane Guest

That is a good point, I don't think I could run 5 miles without dying but I feel I am still in good shape. I continued to skate the entire time which is very hard on the cardio, so I still feel I am in good shape but now that I have quit I really want to focus on my cardio. So for someone who is in better then average cardio shape but really wants to go to the next level I am looking for suggestions. Thanks for the feedback.

4. Reloaded Yellow Belt

Just keep adding to the skating. Swimming is a great place to start. Rowing is also a good full-body conditioning tool. You can also see some of the routines guys do on here regularly like the Magic 50. 10 db snatches, 10 db swings, 10 burpees, rest 1 min and repeat until 50 are done. Time yourself and you can use that workout periodically to check how your work capacity is increasing.

5. The_Dane Guest

Thanks Reloaded!

6. cable guy Green Belt

cardio is over rated - dont you miss those smokes man-would'nt you like one now- you should have one- go on- it wont kill you:icon_twis

seriously though- just like you would increase the weight you lift if you were going to get stronger- do that with whatever cardio exercise you do- just up the intensity a bit- then a bit more

i always felt it easier to work on cardio if i am motivated by a fight or something- training cardio for the sake of it can be boring-so if you can do something like your skating that involves skill and you get your work out you will find it easier.

7. sambam Blue Belt

sounds like a good workout but thats not the magic 50

8. ronin0352 Lift, Eat, Sleep, Repeat

[​IMG]

could have clarified that th 10 DB snatches and 10 DB swings are 5 per arm, but yeah, it is.

Magic 50

Looks like it to me

9. Reloaded Yellow Belt

I do 10 per arm... 50 each! :)

10. ronin0352 Lift, Eat, Sleep, Repeat

Damn over-achievers:rolleyes:

J/K, more power to ya! I'm happy cause I can do the whole thing without extra break time.

11. sambam Blue Belt

yea i prolly coulda been more specific i was just referring to its only 5 per arm no hard feelings bro

12. sambam Blue Belt

i kinda started off on the wrong foot new poster but not new to the site love everything...im a regular at rossboxing and hope to make helpful contributions to sherdog...cheers

13. ronin0352 Lift, Eat, Sleep, Repeat

LOL, no worries. Generally on the occasions that I make a post like that it's more of an attempt to be a smart-ass than an attack or being mad/offended.

Looking forward to your contributions, I just did day 39 of the 50-day sample in the back of II. I'm a big fan & supporter of Ross's stuff, as you may have noticed by the sig.