QUIT Making up names for moves!!

i dont know if anyone can critize eddie bravo! he is the biggest revolution in jiu jitsu besides the explosing after ufc 1.

is this about the "glossary of moves" sticky thread?

I like the crackwhore...

I'm going to have to invent a move and call it 'the crackwhore'.

I like the crackwhore...

I'm going to have to invent a move and call it 'the crackwhore'.

I'm pretty sure I heard that as something rubber-guard related. I might be insanely wrong about it, though...
And come on, the name Homer Simpson sweep made me immediately realize what was it about.

10th planet rules! lol jk you cant hate on them because its more effective in mma then reg gi jiu jitsu

whatever man, when hillary talks, STFU!!!

more effective my ass... cool looking yeap, effective, how many 10th planet top guys are there? and im talking about MMA or ADCC or No gi JJ...

Eddie is great, and 10th planet is probably great, but saying is more effective than reg jj?? YEAH FUCKING RIGHT!

Roger
Werdum
Maia
Jacare
Bibiano
Shogun
Nog
Lil Nog

would really really disagree with you...

Last edited:
stop talking about eddie bravo

The bold means she's mad, run fellows, run!! Jk, It just comes up in this thread because all he seems to do is make stupid names up for normal positions.

stop talking about eddie bravo

It's like the bjj version of Godwin's Law.

Anyway, I won't join the bandwagon here and say that I hate these funky names. If it helps some people, good for them. I'm just glad that where I train, there's nothing crazy going on in terms of names.

One of my instructors was amused one time when he was demonstrating a move and somebody was like "oh that's the darce right?" or something to that effect. He gave him the "wtf is that?" look but then he said "ooohh yeah, some people call it that. In Brazil, everything's just a choke."

whatever man, when hillary talks, STFU!!!

more effective my ass... cool looking yeap, effective, how many 10th planet top guys are there? and im talking about MMA or ADCC or No gi JJ...

Eddie is great, and 10th planet is probably great, but saying is more effective than reg jj?? YEAH FUCKING RIGHT!

Roger
Werdum
Maia
Jacare
Bibiano
Shogun
Nog
Lil Nog

would really really disagree with you...

Calm down veruca. You be responding to a troll.

I've never heard any outlandish names for techniques.

Sweep from butterfly guard, choke from back, armbar/armlock. I hear stuff like that.

Oh, so everyone hates names for moves? Half a year ago, everyone on sherdog loved them.

Listen, if you want to talk about jiu jitsu in someway without actually getting up and demonstrating the move, than things will need names for reference. Especially when a move becomes popular.

Are people here really mad that people have a name for a D'arce, and a name for an Anaconda, as opposed to just calling them both "triangle chokes with the appliers upperbody." What about Kimuras and Americanas?

Judo has names for most things, and they do just fine. Hell, wrestling has names for most of the moves they have.

Yeah, it's cool that Brazillians can be good without knowing what anything is called, but if we are going to talk about a technique or refer to one in a match, we need to call it something.

I don't know why this is an issue.

I've never heard any outlandish names for techniques.

Sweep from butterfly guard, choke from back, armbar/armlock. I hear stuff like that.

...dude... maybe like... those names are outlandish too...? ...what if the colors I see are different than the colors you see...??? whoa

Although the name "armlock" certainly is much more wholesome than armbar and I personally like it better.

EDIT: Calibur, good points. Especially when it comes to techniques like the darce. Having a fancy name for a technique seems to make it show up more often.

Yeah, it's cool that Brazillians can be good without knowing what anything is called, but if we are going to talk about a technique or refer to one in a match, we need to call it something.

I don't know why this is an issue.

Please refer to my third paragraph. :)

I've heard and seen the move "Scorpion Crunch" here in the grappling forum, the name sounds like a pro wrestling move. Absolutely moronic!

I've heard and seen the move "Scorpion Crunch" here in the grappling forum, the name sounds like a pro wrestling move. Absolutely moronic!

I agree, it sounds really childish imo.

Please refer to my third paragraph. :)

Yeah, I saw that too, but giving something a name doesn't restrict your way of thinking. Looking for an absolute path does.

I see what you are worried about, but do you think experienced people actually think that way when they actually roll? Chasing a particular move during a roll is usually detrimental, but that is not what is going through my head when sparring. The name comes after the match, not during, so how can it effect my jiu jitsu.

Let me put it this way. I like to name subs and sweeps. I don't mind naming weird guards. I hate naming transitional steps, which is why 10th planet terminology annoys me, since the things that haven't been named are usually transitions anyway.

The reason why is because I consider subs and to a lesser degree sweeps, to be the destination. Those things need names. I consider transitional moves to be the journey. You don't need to name it because how you choose to get to whatever is up to you.

Nomenclature doesn't hinder skill. The differeneces you are talking about could come down to the fact that the US has a more organized online community and Brazil has more competitors who have been doing this longer. real simple.

What if I call something the Hillary sweep? Is it ok then?

Back