Quick Thoughts on 182

SinisterSpider

The weak suffer what they must
@Silver
Reaction score
My quick reactions and thoughts to UFC 182 that no one cares about.

1.) This was one of the most boring cards I've ever seen.
I'm a big time UFC fan and I try to watch every single card. This was just a snooze fest. As someone else mentioned, every fight was super boring. I thought Cerrone would at least wake me up for the main event but Jury did nothing.

2.) Awkward interview
Conor looked super awkward on the microphone for the first time in a long time. I was telling everybody about how I'm a fan of Conor and the interview just dragged on and didn't cover anything important. Also he kept stuttering through his answers. Um Um Um Um --Still looking for him to fight Aldo after Siver, was just disappointed with the interview.

3.) Bones is really, really good
While most people are looking for reasons to always hate JBJ, I love him. He adapts his style each and every fight depending on who he is fighting. I can't believe he's only 24 or 25. I'm looking forward to the Gus v Rumble fight (I think Rumble wins) --because after he fights the winner of that...who is next?

I'm fully ready to have the Bones is the GOAT conversation. His resume is astounding and in my eyes he is undefeated.

4.) The UFC really blew it with this card
Again, I'm a big time UFC fan. I want them to do well. I want this sport to catch on everywhere. And I want to see the best fighters in the world fight. If Dana is right in saying that 750K was exceeded with this PPV, that means over a million people were bored as hell watching the 3 hour card for all but 20 minutes. Each fight was boring, as was the 5th round, and I'm sure many won't be coming back. They could have stacked this card and brought in some new fans...but I just don't think they appreciate certain opportunities. A card like UFC 100 was stacked as hell and brought the viewers and the excitement. This brought the viewers but wasn't remotely stacked. Anytime ESPN is going to be promoting your product, you better deliver. They didn't.

5.) Bones was right in the post-fight
He's right. It sounds classless, but he's right. If Cormier won, just like if Silva beat Chael...they'd be up there running their mouth about how great they are and how they told you so. Cormier would have kicked Bones when he was down. He lost, admitted he was beat, and teared up. Sure it was an emotional scene, and you felt for the man...but Bones is fully within his rights to say "F.U. D.C"

Anyway, I took way too long typing that up.

Conor Bless.

I personally thought the FS1 prelims were really entertaining. The main card not so much.

Prelims were better than the main card.

Felder is a beast.

I personally thought the FS1 prelims were really entertaining. The main card not so much.

This. Which is unfortunate cause people didn't have to shell out 60 bucks to watch the prelim card...

It's tough to contrast this one to last year's big New Year card...

Poirier vs. Brandao- fun fight with a good finish

Jim Miller vs. Fabricio Camoes- awesome grappling on display from Miller, great sub

Josh Barnett vs. Travis Browne, vicious, quick, emphatic finish

Rousey vs. Tate II- FOTN in the opinion of myself and many others including White and co. Absolutely awesome performance by Rousey. Tate's strategy was ludicrous but she was game in hanging in there as long as she could.

Weidman vs. Silva II- Another awesome Weidman performance. Fight suffered a bit from the abrupt ending but the first round was something with Weidman getting the flash knockdown and some nice ground and pound before Silva managed to recover and even land some nice shots from his back.

Agreed for the most part. Prelims were very good, main card was boring except the Main Event.

I was pretty shocked that Dana went as far as to call out Herb on his handling of rd5. I'm all for complaining don't get me wrong, but that last round, while not Shogun/Hendo-esque, was still pretty entertaining. Even when it went to the fence, I enjoyed watching it. I was still thinking DC had a shot of of dragging Jones down and hammerfisting his was to a TKO. The "Slam" was a good nail biting moment too.

did not deliver, gladly watched it free on stream

This. Which is unfortunate cause people didn't have to shell out 60 bucks to watch the prelim card...

It's tough to contrast this one to last year's big New Year card...

Poirier vs. Brandao- fun fight with a good finish

Jim Miller vs. Fabricio Camoes- awesome grappling on display from Miller, great sub

Josh Barnett vs. Travis Browne, vicious, quick, emphatic finish

Rousey vs. Tate II- FOTN in the opinion of myself and many others including White and co. Absolutely awesome performance by Rousey. Tate's strategy was ludicrous but she was game in hanging in there as long as she could.

Weidman vs. Silva II- Another awesome Weidman performance. Fight suffered a bit from the abrupt ending but the first round was something with Weidman getting the flash knockdown and some nice ground and pound before Silva managed to recover and even land some nice shots from his back.

That card seemed like it was weeks ago for some reason.

I thought the horiguich vs gaudinaout fight was the best fight next to the main event.

Yep they did blow it. The first card with close to 1 mil views in 3 years and they failed in stunning manner.

60 bux down the drain for 3 good rounds and about a half dozen solid kicks to the ass.

Atleast signing CM Punk means that they are getting away from their previous business model and are becoming more concerned with the average viewer. Putting Horiguchi/any 125lb fight on this PPV card was INSANE! They really would be so much better off with a guy like Coker match making, especially with a card with ramifications as high as these. They only have 1 chance every 2 or 3 years and they epically blew it. They easily could have put together a Manhoef vs Schilling bout/Thatch vs Thomspon, etc etc but instead they opted to go with their current goofy ass business model and try and make people eat shit that they dont want.

Pretty lack luster as a whole, a lot of people disappointed about the main event as well.

Honestly I thought the card as a whole was weak for the price but you know Ol' Dana "you don't like it, don't buy it."

Back