quick protein shake question

Ruick

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I lift mon, wed and fri. im 5"11, 141.5lbs currently. Looking to gain about 10-20lbs. Its tuesday now, do i still drink a protein shake? or should i only be drinking them after my lifting workouts, on mon wed and fri?

also, what am i put my protein powder in? Will it work, dissolve, etc perfectly fine with apple juice? orange juice? milk?

You can still drink them on your off days, but if your trying to gain 10-20lbs I would be working out more than three days a week. I lift 5-6 days a week and do cardio 5-6 days a week and take protien everday that I work out.

I would not put protien powder in any kind of juice that to me will not taste good at all. I mix one scoop of vanilla protien powder with 16 oz of ice, one frozen banana, 16 oz water and a table spoon of natural peanut butter and mix it in a blender. It taste great. In the morning I will mix it with my cereal and if I am in a real hurr I will mix it with about 16oz of water and down it real quick.

Yeh drink it on your off days too. Mix it with water though because its better that way.

You're 5'11'' and a buck forty-one? You should immediately start an intravenous drip of protein shakes and keep it with you at all times.

How old are you?

16. so im trying to bulk, in addition to lifting is doing cardiovascular acitivites mad? Someone told me that instead of bulking i'd be cutting instead.

Don't go too heavy on the cardio if you want to bulk.

Newcastle said:
Don't go too heavy on the cardio if you want to bulk.

I wouldnt just use a blanket statement like that. B/c that is very much wrong the way you wrote it. What you need to bulk is a Posotive calorie balance at the end of the day. You need to take in more calories than you burn off to put on weight.

Do it. And drink and eat everything you see. If you've got a book in your shelf that you've never read and never will read, eat it. Eat, eat and eat.

DO NOT eat anything and everything, I even when I was bulking I at an incredibly clean diet ot go up in weight with minimal body FAT addition. Mostly lean muscle gains.

ya drink them on your off days, try lifting mor like 4-5 days a week

Hamit Aktas said:
Do it. And drink and eat everything you see. If you've got a book in your shelf that you've never read and never will read, eat it. Eat, eat and eat.

well im not sure. i want to gain weight, as in muscle weight. I might be doing wrestling this year too, so i dont want to load up on fat weight. check out the "my diet" thread i just made to further discuss this.

Off days are just as important to bulking up as training. It's the time that you rest, is when your body grows. So yes you should be having protein shakes as often as you can in between meals. Also besided taking in protein after a workout, you will also need simple carbs to grow. Though it's not recommended to consume simple carbs such as sugar, they are most important after a workout. Why? Because after a workout you body needs fuel before it goes to catabolic, and starts eating away muscle. So If you refule your body with a fast acting protein (whey) you will also need fast acting carbs (sugar, honey, gulcose etc) One good rule to bulk up is taking in lots of complex carbs. From what I have read about in "Flex" is that, "for each gram of carb that your body holds, your body will hold another three grams of water." Also drinks lots of water!
Nothing wrong with water weight, the human body is composed of mostly water isn't it?

Ruick said:
well im not sure. i want to gain weight, as in muscle weight. I might be doing wrestling this year too, so i dont want to load up on fat weight. check out the "my diet" thread i just made to further discuss this.

Well that changes things. ;)

later I will write a good meal plan to Gain muscle without putting on much fat.

Generally for lean muscle mass a trainer should ingest 1.5 grams of protein per lb of body mass to gain weight. That is during days you lift, try 0.8 grams during off days. Plus try drinking a shake right before bed, your body will keep a positive nitrogen balance during the night.

my wresting friend said that muscles dont develop during the night, just the bones (that was what he said when i asekd him about a protein shake before bed), is he completely wrong?

Should i be drinking alot of water while lifting?

and what are some good recipes for protein shakes (i know i can google) but what are your favorites, something that tastes decent (or maybe its my protein, gnc whey protein french vanilla. the frenc vanilla stands out no matter what i mix it with (doesnt taste good)

Ruick said:
I lift mon, wed and fri. im 5"11, 141.5lbs currently. Looking to gain about 10-20lbs. Its tuesday now, do i still drink a protein shake? or should i only be drinking them after my lifting workouts, on mon wed and fri?

also, what am i put my protein powder in? Will it work, dissolve, etc perfectly fine with apple juice? orange juice? milk?

check the bulking up thread. i've gained 22 lbs in 6 weeks.

blownards said:
check the bulking up thread. i've gained 22 lbs in 6 weeks.

OMG, STFU.

Back