1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

Quick lifting gains and joint health/risk of injury

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by Now, Oct 14, 2010.

1. Now

Now White Belt

Hey all,

I cant imagine that this question has not been asked before, but I couldnt find anything.

Im 155lb (6"1) and Im looking to bulk up to around now 175 and eventually around 200lb (talking maybe 3 to 5 years here).
    Im doing SS right now and Im loving it. Got my nutrition right, eating well above maintenance, managing my shakes, creatine and fish-oil intelligently and getting adequate rest.

I realize its kind of a cocky thing to say, but Im confident I will make gains very quickly seeing how much effort I put into the research and resources. And Im not half-arsing my lifts either, I work quickly and hard when Im in the gym.

The thing is Im kind of worried about joint health 1) in general and 2) in this short period of time where I will be making big gains (the linear gains rip talks about).
    Can one ever gain strenght too quickly on SS for the joints to keep up?
    Back in the day when I was dabbling around with some bodybuilding routines, it was constantly stressed that gains should be slow to give the rest of the body time to adapt.

In the long run I want to weigh around 200lb. Dont ask me why, its probably psychological and stuff. But I just feel that the human male should outweigh their female counterparts by a lot more than one puppy dog.
    So would there be any problems bulking by this much (granted, over a very long period of time) to, say, the joints (or any other parts of my health)?

I will still be training for MMA. Ultimately, I want to be a well-rounded heavyweight in around 10 years (34 yrs old).

All comments are welcome.

Cheers Michael

Last edited: Oct 14, 2010
  2. MMA Junkie 19

MMA Junkie 19 White Belt

The first time I did the Bill Starr 5x5, I made great gains and ended up completing the full 9 weeks without missing a lift. I had the words "Do NOT deviate" and "Just make sure you get the rep" in my head from the "how to" for the program. The gains were great, and I loved the program, but the quickly ramping loads on my tendons was more than my body could take. I ended up having tendonitis on the insides of my forearms / elbow that took about 6 - 8 weeks to go away with icing and anti-inflammatory meds.

Looking back at it, I wish I would have just listened to my body and maybe not have been so aggressive during my NOOB gain period. Now I don't have to worry about it so much because my progression is slower and my body has adapted to heavier lifting. Also, I have played with my grip and hand positioning over the years for dead lifts and pull-ups to what causes the least discomfort. Those two lifts were the main contributors to my tendons getting so sore.

3. Jim J

Jim J Purple Belt

If you are drug free and staying somewhat lean, you are not going to put on weight fast enough to have any ill effects. If you do, congrats! You are worrying about an imaginary problem for the time being.

Lifting heavy weights without the proper form and with a body that is not accustomed to lifting heavy weights can give you sore joints.

4. Tosa

Tosa Red Belt

It's possible an issue could arise, but it's a solid program and the vast majority of people have no issues with it. In addition to food and sleep, including some active recovery is a good idea. And joint issues don't just happen, it takes time for them to develop, and get to the point of being a serious issue...so as long as you don't ignore it if a certain ache or pain becomes a usual thing you'll be fine.

5. AR6

AR6 Blue Belt

6'1 and 155? Gain 60 lbs of solid masss through 5 rep range and a lot of food. Dont worry about anything else.

6. FiveFeezy

FiveFeezy Orange Belt

My joints started to give in after 7 or 8 months on SS. But I was also doing a lot of manual labor (foundations and framing) at the time. I wasn't very knowledgeable about weightlifting back then and had never heard of deloading. Looking back, I think if I had deloaded a few times I could have lasted longer on SS. Microloading plates are also a good tool when you get to heavier weights.

7. Now

Now White Belt

Thanks guys!

So I figure listening to your body is key.

Another thing: How many of you could lift that often (3 times a week on non consecutive days)? I lifted two days ago (3x5 150lb squat, 1x5 100lb DL) and I can still barely walk. People at work ask me whether I had been raped or what drugs Im doing.

No way I can do 3 times a week. Normal?

8. milano

milano I am the Walrus

Your body will adapt.

9. Graunie

Graunie Blue Belt

You are not eating enough. Seriously, you are not eating enough. And just to be sure you got it, you are not eating enough. At 6'1'' 155lb you probably need GOMAD. Also, 3-5 years is crazy. Why not do it 9 months or less?

If you eat right you can be on SS Novice program for awhile before needing to do an advanced novice program. For me that meant cutting out a day of squats and just deadlifting that day. I did that after I doubled my lifts and now have tripled my lifts from starting weight since. I also train bjj 3x/week for about 2hrs a pop.

10. yocan

yocan Orange Belt

that can be done. I agree you are not eating enough. 50 lbs in 1 year? It could be done I doubt it will be, but 20 lbs in a year is easily attainable at your size. I'd bet you could gain 30 lbs in this year if you apply yourself.

11. Mumrik

Mumrik Silver Belt

Sure you can.

You get used to it. I had no problem lifting 3x a week (and that was a Bill Starr variation, so 5x5, also on the dead lift), working the heavy bag 2x and practicing martial arts 2x a week. I ate well and slept far too little (as I always do). And that makes me no more than just another regular dude.

Give it time, eat and sleep more and learn the difference between the kind of soreness you need to respect and the kind you don't.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2010
  12. BigBadMike

BigBadMike Guest

unless your on steroids or something joint pain shouldn't even be an issue crossing your mind. Quit overthinking and just do the program and get the neccessary calories/sleep required.

13. Radon

Radon Purple Belt

The super soreness you're experiencing only happens the first few times you lift or if you take a long long layoff it'll happen.

It's generally recommended that you suck it up and follow the program.

Main reason: It's a "routine". If you start skipping out days for little stuff chances are you'll completely fall out of the routine. You'll be fine.