Quick Golden Gloves Question (about weight)

Marc936

Orange Belt
Reaction score
this year are you allowed to be 3 lbs over in prelims? cuz that how it was in New yorks golden gloves, but when i weighed in they said i had to be 147 at the time of the fight, this true? i barely made it to 148 while being dehydrated, let alone 147 fine and dandy in 2 weeks (i weigh 152 hydrated)

If you're having trouble cutting from a normal 152 to 147lbs, I'd either consult a doctor, or re-evaluate your weight cutting methods.

There's a pretty good community here on sherdog for training/conditioning/dieting and I'm sure you'll be able to find some good write-ups that can help you out.

If you're having trouble cutting from a normal 152 to 147lbs, I'd either consult a doctor, or re-evaluate your weight cutting methods.

There's a pretty good community here on sherdog for training/conditioning/dieting and I'm sure you'll be able to find some good write-ups that can help you out.

well i weighed in 167 when i initially started to train for it (started in jan) now its coming to the last few pounds and its really hard to drop, ill look around to see if there are any helpful tips to drop the weight besides losing water weight, but still im hoping there is lee weigh in the weigh ins so i dont have to kill myself doing it

this year are you allowed to be 3 lbs over in prelims? cuz that how it was in New yorks golden gloves, but when i weighed in they said i had to be 147 at the time of the fight, this true? i barely made it to 148 while being dehydrated, let alone 147 fine and dandy in 2 weeks (i weigh 152 hydrated)

You should be able to cut 5 lbs easily. Put on the old school-plastic bags or buy a sauna suit and just jog lightly in a warm room for about 30 mins with the suit on and then hit the sauna for another 30mins. You should be fine then. Once you make weight, you have till later in the day to hydrate yourself. That's what you have to do.

BTW, what state are you boxing in? In Florida, you can't weigh in over weight. If you do, you have two hours to make weight. But in New York, you do have 3lbs in the prelims but have to make weight by finals...if you make finals. So if you're boxing at 147lbs, you can weigh 3lbs over which would be 147lbs+3lbs= 150lbs for the prelims but will eventually have to make weight if I'm not mistaken

You should be able to cut 5 lbs easily. Put on the old school-plastic bags or buy a sauna suit and just jog lightly in a warm room for about 30 mins with the suit on and then hit the sauna for another 30mins. You should be fine then. Once you make weight, you have till later in the day to hydrate yourself. That's what you have to do.

BTW, what state are you boxing in? In Florida, you can't weigh in over weight. If you do, you have two hours to make weight. But in New York, you do have 3lbs in the prelims but have to make weight by finals...if you make finals. So if you're boxing at 147lbs, you can weigh 3lbs over which would be 147lbs+3lbs= 150lbs for the prelims but will eventually have to make weight if I'm not mistaken

just want to add into the fact that i have a flu and fever right now (dad got it at work, now i got too, and its 2 weeks away grrr) so i have to lay off training, im boxing in illinois, from what the guy said they will weigh me right before the fight, so i cant rehydrate which will screw me over, i'm wondering if i should call and just ask to be at 152, that way i dont have to worry so much

i'm wondering if i should call and just ask to be at 152, that way i dont have to worry so much

That's what I was gonna say....this isn't pros and nobody's going to naturally weigh more than 5 or so pounds at 152 specifically for the same reason that you can't make 147. You're making an issue out of a non-issue, IMO.

Edit: there's no such thing as a 147 pound weight class in amateur boxing.

...so there's no point for this thread.

yes there is, and the problem is i signed up for the 147 weight class already, dont put your opinion if you dont know squat

keyboard warriors are funny

yes there is, and the problem is i signed up for the 147 weight class already, dont put your opinion if you dont know squat

The GG WW limit IS 152lbs , which is what MeBig is getting at.

I don't know about Illinois but in NY, there's 8 weight classes for GG and 147lbs is one of the weight classes

Like 20 years ago MO had 139 147 156. Of course they had higher and lower but thats how it was for the weight class we are discussing.

Also for at least one year you had to weight in and weight out. they did this because kids got to passing out trying to cut weight. that rule didnt last long.

I've had over 40 fights and won detroit gg(open division) and was runner up another time, losing to somebody i'd beaten before. i fought at the 201lb limit from beginning to end. You can see the 11 existing weight classes of amateur boxing world-wide at this link in both american and metric units, along with the current nationally-ranked USA boxers in each-- http://www.usaboxing.org/94_2069.htm. These are the standard weight classes for any and all national and international tournaments, as well as regional qualifying tournaments. stfu.

ps marc: I'm taking a shot in the dark that this is your first or second fight and you're fighting a 3-rounder in the novice division?

So how are you doing with cleaning out the 147 pound division in the ams marc?

So how are you doing with cleaning out the 147 pound division in the ams marc?

i lost, not ashamed of it.

and since you fought before i take back my keyboard warrior statement, you stating that there isnt a 147 lbs and saying my thread shouldnt existed irritated me so i said what i said. You done?

Back