quick deadlift questions

colinm

Brown Belt
Reaction score
yesterday when i was doing some heavy deadlifts i noticed in the latter sets and reps of my 5x5 i had to fight the urge to push through my toes and concentrate really hard on trying to keep good form and use my hams, lower back and glutes. is this because my posterior chain was tired out and my body wanted to use somewhat fresh quads to lift the weight?

also, when i felt this happening, my lockout was different because the bar drifted forward when i put more weight on my toes. i didnt straighten my legs and back simultaneously, but i'd get my legs straight and find i still had to adjust (only a couple inches, nothing dramatic) using my lower back to reach lockout. is this my lower back just overcompensating for my legs?

luckily i found a good workout partner who pays close attention to form and pointed it out to me as soon as the reps happened, and i felt it as well. i was just curious to know the reasons for this.

and finally, is it even possible to keep perfect form during the last reps in your final sets when you are really straining hard?

I sometimes have trouble with this also when I'm on my last couple reps. Im thinking that it's just your body being fatigued and using alternate methods (ie: cheating) to get the work done. You really gotta watch yourself when you feel yourself rocking or losing form, because you could get injured fairly easily.

Just remember when handling heavy weight that form is all that matters. If you lose form, you arent doing the lift correctly.

TRy to concentrate on pushing your HEELS through the floor. Not your toes.

think less about pulling the weight up and more about pulling back. that should keep you off your fucking toes.

Urban said:
think less about pulling the weight up and more about pulling back. that should keep you off your fucking toes.

This is great advice. Changing the way I think when DLing has really helped me.

Barut said:
This is great advice. Changing the way I think when DLing has really helped me.

I was stiff legging my deadlift too much and I could do 300, but 315 was cemented to the floor, so i re-assessed my deadlift, and easily pulled 315 yesterday, now I am happy again that I can keep progressing.

The weight dies again once you set it down for that split sec

for multiple reps you deadlift, Set the weight down, let go, stand up, repeat. There should be a couple seconds (less than 10) in between deadlifts. reset your grip, your stance, etc. each dead should be a clean slate from the last.

Thanks for the advice Urban; it makes a lot of sense like that. But can somebody plz answer my other Q

When people do the main big compound lifts, they usually work up to a maximum set. So you are only lifting the maximum weight in your last set, the ones before that are for warmup. You end up lifting more weight on your last weight that way.

so drop sets after reaching your max isn't recommended?

Back